Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Iron Golemancer! - PROOF READ PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Harbula, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Harbula

Harbula IncGamers Member

Iron Golemancer! - PROOF READ PLEASE!!

I need someone to proof read my Iron Golemancer Guide, and tell me if I need to improve it, and whatnot, also advise on items.

Note: PLEASE do not use abbrivations when talking about items, please use their full names, it's hard to understand all the SoJ + Um/MP whatever... thank you...

Iron Golemancer - The Necromancer that can stand back.

The Iron Golemancer is, personally, to me, the most underated Necromancer Build there is.

A Good Iron Golemancer can take out Hell Cow Level easily, and is a fantastic crowd clearer!

So this guide will take you how to make an Iron Golemancer powerful!

1.) Why the Iron Golem over Fire and Blood?

A Fire Golem, though may be the strongest of all the golems, has releatively less defense and life points then the Iron Golem. And the Blood Golem depends on it's leech to stay alive, while the Iron Golem depends on his defense and attack power. Also the Thorns Damage from the Iron Golem can come in handy. You won't know it's there, but you'll certainly know if you don't have it.

Note: Having said that, I'm still not convinced of the Paladin Skill Aura, Thorns.

2.) The Pros and the Cons

The Pros: An Iron Golemancer has NO real immunties to deal with. As the Thorns Aura returns ALL damage, and gives no boundaries of the type. It lures monsters away from the Necromancer, leaving you able to blast the enemies with spells, also providing enough defense power and hit points to be able to stand one-to-a-million with the enemy, and Thorns damage works wonders against large groups of enemies. The Iron Golemancer is also a very fast mover, though a slow attacker, but that is a trait in all golems. And this can be fixed by the sygergy Clay Golem. The Iron Golem also follows you from game to game, to save you having to create a new golem every game.

The Cons: VERY HARD to start one! First you have to wait till level 24 to gain an Iron Golem, then you have the hardious task of making the Iron Golem battle-worthy. The Iron Golem's attack damage power is weak. This can be corrected by the sygergy Fire Golem (Either MAX Clay Golem OR Fire Golem, or alternativly, put 10 in each golem sygergy. This WILL help your golem out alot. Tip: Only do this after all other skill points are allocated.) The major thing that throws off beginners or even experts, is the fact you HAVE to use an item to summon the Iron Golem, sometimes, you need to buy an item to make the golem. (Tip: If Baal Running and your golem dies, use one of the items dropped by the enemies to make the golem.)

All Pros and Cons aside, the Iron Golemancer is a very good build for expert players. (Not advised for beginners since the Iron Golemancer is hard to make good)

3.) The skill points!

Oh, here we are! The skills point... this is slipt up into two sections... the Golem, and the Necromancer. BOTH will be lean mean killing machines! And as a team, have the potential to be unstoppable!

a.) The Golem!

The Golem, ahh, the reason this build is given the name it is... of course, Your gonna be using an Iron Golem!

Iron Golem
    Required Level: 24
    Prerequisites: Clay Golem [6], Blood Golem [18]
    Skill Point Allocation: MAXED
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 or MAXED or 10 for Clay Golem, one for Blood Golem.

No questions asked, you weren't asking any, right? You need this skill to make this guide true to it's name!

Golem Mastery
    Required Level: 12
    Prerequisites: Clay Golem [6]
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 or MAXED or 10

Again, no questions asked, this will be the reason why your Iron Golem can stay alive for so long.

Clay Golem
    Required Level: 6
    Prerequisites: None
    Skill Point Allocation: 1 or MAXED or 10

This is your choice entirly! 1 if you intend to use Fire Golem as your Iron's sygerny, MAXED if you intend to get the ATTACK RATING +% for your golem. (The reason this is suggested) or 10 if your going half way.

MEGA TIP!!: A MAXED out Clay Golem is BRILLIANT against Act Bosses. (Andariel, Druiel, Mephisto, Diablo and Baal) As well as other bosses, a Clay Golem slows down the enemies at an alarming rate. Making bosses seem stupid and mega slow. Then flip over to Iron Golem and beat the boss almost a hundred times easier. (Major life saver on Hell)

Fire Golem
    Required Level: 30
    Prerequisites: Clay Golem [6], Blood Golem [18], Iron Golem [24]
    Skill Point Allocation: NONE, MAXED or 10
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 or MAXED or 10 in Clay Golem, 1 in Blood Golem and of course, MAXED Iron Golem.

The Fire Golem will bring up your Iron Golem's DAMAGE POWER %+. This is again an personal preference, in you don't want to use an Fire Golem, don't put a single point in it. Or MAX it out to sygerngy, or 10 to go half way with Clay Colem.

Summon Resist
    Prerequisites: Clay Golem [6], Golem Mastery [12]
    Skill Point Allocation: 1 or 2
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 or MAXED or 10

Summon Resist is a 1 point wonder. If your going for Clay Golem Syngergy, put 2 points in this. (The extra skill point you save from not getting Fire Golem), if your using Fire Golem at all, only put 1 point in. 1 point is all you really need, but it will help alot. 1 point is all you need. If your REALLY worried about resistances, (Iron Golem can survive on his own without resistances...), then scrap a sygerngy and MAX this out. But that isn't recommender, therefore, it isn't in the Skill Point Allocation section. Also, you can add extra skills point in this if you choose Iron Maiden, as the skill points you save from Prerequisties will come in handy here.

b.) The Necromancer!

Only 5 skills I really recommend. Corpse Explosion, Bone Spirit, Amplify Damage, Lower Resist OR Iron Maiden (Only one of the last two, NOT both!)

OK, gonna split this up into two, curses and attack skills.

i.) Curses

There are 3 skills I recommend for use, one CRITIAL, two your personal perference.

Amplify Damage
    Required Level: 1
    Prerequisites: None
    Skill Point Allocation: 5

5 points in Amplify Damage is more then enough, the curse itself has a FIXED damage increase of 100%. 5 points will ensure it lasts for 20 seconds, (easily enough to kill the monsters, by attack skills). It also does a radius of 4.6 yards, which is enough to curse a few monsters in one go. A few curses can curse a whole field easily. Amplify Damage is a majorly underated skill, and in this guide, I find it essential, a main skill that I use often. But 5 is all you need, any more is pointless.

Iron Maiden
    Required Level: 12
    Prerequisites: Amplify Damage [1]
    Skill Point Allocation: 1 or 5
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 5 for Amplify Damage.

Iron Maiden is one of the personal perference curses. (With Lower Resist) This works seperatly with Iron Golem's Thorns and also turns your Necromancer into a weaker version of the Iron Golem. It also increases your Iron Golem's returned damage passively, but as a seperate attack. 5 points in this will ensure you do 300% returned damage, lasts for 21.6 seconds, but has a fixed radius of 4.6 yards.

Lower Resist
    Prerequisites: Weaken [6], Amplify Damage [1], Terror [12], Iron Maiden [12] Life Tap [18],Decrepify [24]
    Skill Point Allocation: 0 of 5
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 5 for Amplify Damage, 1 or 5 for Iron Maiden.

Lower Resist is the second of the personal preference curses. (With Iron Maiden) Sorceresses will love you for using this skill, and many some other classes. Lower Resist works brilliantly against monstes that have a normal resistance against all elements. Works the same as Conviction as it lowers the resistance of the enemies. If you decide to use Iron Maiden over this, put the skill points from the prerequisties (4 points), put it in Summon Resist to bring up your golem's resistance.

ii.) Attacking Skills

Without these, you won't have much of a Necromancer, however, you only need two skills. Corspe Explosion and Bone Spirit.

Corpse Explosion
    Required Level: 6
    Prerequisites: Teeth [1]
    Skill Point Allocation: 10
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: Ermm... 1... need to ask?

This skill will be your crowd annilation skill! And without it, your Necromancer will DIE! A level 10 Corpse Explosion is your main skill. Use in conjuction with Amplify Damage and Bone Spirit. Amplify the enemies, Bone Spirit the strongest one if you can, or the one with most health. Kill it and switch to Corpse Explosion, use it on the dead monster, and you will (hopefully) take out a whole lot of enemies, providing you with an almost endless supply of bodies to blow up! The only thing you need is Mana! Iron Golem also comes in brilliantly, helping to take out the enemies and he's your lurer!

Bone Spirit
    Prerequisites: Teeth [1], Corpse Explosion [6], Bone Spear [18]
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 for Teeth and Bone Spear, and 10 to Corspe Explosion.

This skill will be your intial corspe provider. A MAXED out Bone Spirit should be able to provide a corspe, in conjuction with a Amplify Damage curse and your golem. Luckily, in groups, you can put this away, and constandly use Corspe Explosion. When you have provided a corspe, switch and blast it, if you do not kill one or more monsters via the corspe, either wait for your golem to kill one, or switch back to Bone Spirit to kill another, blast it, repeat untill you have more then two corspes via the Corspe Explosion. These are the only two attacking skills you need.

2. Sszark

Sszark IncGamers Member

Fire Golem has more life than Iron.
    If I don't know something exists, I logically can't know if it goes away.
    Clay Golem synergy has nothing to do with movement or attack speed.
    Iron Golem damage should not be coming from his attack, max Fire Golem adds a pitiful amount of damage to the Iron Golem. Have you taken this character into Hell yet?
    You can't do this, because Clay does not slow the enemy down forever. You'd have to constantly re-summon Iron. Further, Iron damage comes from damage return, which will hardly bother them.
    I used to have a build similar to this, and they suck badly against bosses.

3. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

The IG could be pretty slick up to Nightmare, but you'd have to be dropping some seriously expensive items on him in the later acts to do any kind of damage and even then I'm not sure he'd be worth it as your only minion. In Hell I think you'd be hard pressed to kill anything much less stay alive.

Why don't try incorporating one into a skellimancer build so you have a fallback option? That 120% might add up if it multiplies the total damage of the IG rather than just the base damage of whatever weapon he was made with, or worse, just his base damage regardless of the weapon.

Wait, you've really soloed Hell Cows? What are you making this thing from?

4. Harbula

Harbula IncGamers Member

Nah, I've not... my friend has, he had an Iron Golemancer pretty similiar to mine, and he annilated Hell Cows.

And Sszark... thanks a million... I knew I'd make some pretty stupuid mistakes... maybe I'll make another guide for a different character... o_O

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Well, alright here's another recommendation. The only reason to crank up your iron golem is for its thorns aura and its defense which contradict each other since your IG needs to get hit in order to do damage with the thorns. The only good reason to use the IG is if you're hoping to get some benefit from an item. Fire or clay would be much better for damage return since you can get a much better Thorns aura out of the Edge bow. Ask your buddy what the details of his Hell Cow soloing build is. I find it really hard to believe it was just the IG thorns aura by itself that was doing the damage and the IGs damage is horrible without being made with a strong weapon.

6. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Instead of making a whole build revolving around a sucky Iron Golem and wasting all those skill points, just slap a Bramble Armor on your merc.

7. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

IK Maul is a good way to make an Iron Golem. CB is nice.

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

A bit hard to believe if you take the IG's attack speed into account. His life is not that good so he can't tank forever. I’m pretty sure that a decent sized pack of Cows will kill it very rapidly.

Thorns won't reflect elemental damage or damage of ranged weapons. It also does nothing against Physical Immune monsters.

And even then his damage will suck. You'll need a powerful weapon to make his damage worthwhile.

With the enormous diminishing returns this is not worth the skill points.

9. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

You can hope to scratch monsters in big hell games with unsynergy bone spirit. On second thought, morrowind bug might help you abit but I doubt blizzard would allow such infamous bug to continue exist.

10. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

~

Your friend might have been using the golem to tank while he/she started a ce chain. That is indead a very quick way of clearing out hell cows as long as its solo. Even when its multiplayer, its still pretty fast..for a level 6 skill.

Ik maul with eth & shael rune is by far the most effective weapon i've made an ig out of. He hits alot more than normal, and although i'm not sure if the extra ias helps, he does kill solo hell as long as i dont completly rely on him doing all the killing.

11. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

It would be an interesting experience, to see if a high level IK iron golem can beat a really powered up merc in melee (though quite an expensive experience in case the golem loses). My guess is that a merc with really good equipment is at least the IK golem's equal in strength, and than you dont need to get him new gear every time he dies. So as far as i can see that it is pretty much like having a corpse exploser with 2 mercs. I believe it can be viable against hell cows since even a single merc can hold his ground for quite a while if he has sufficent leech.
    Also there is a couple of monsters out there who would make me really concerned when spending uber-gear on an iron golem. Oblivion knights in the first place can pawn him. Or Diablo's lightning attack (50% physical if i recall correctly, so resists wont save the golem). Also it is weird that you say that you used a clay golem against bosses. does that mean that you unsummoned your iron golem who was probably made out of some nice item every time you fought a boss? Or did i misunderstand that?
    All in all, i dont see this build being comparable in efficency to any of the popular builds, but on the other hand there is a definite coolness factor to playing an only-golem 'mancer, and I would bow to anyone who manages to play through the game with him without other char's help. So yeah, for a lets-play-a-non-cookie-cutter-build-for-a-change kind of challenge it sounds good to me.

Leumas: If I am not mistaken you were referring to the Marrowalk bug (Morrowind is something else :p ). I would love to find out you are right, on the other hand i dont see much chanche of any (official) D2 patches coming out anytime soon. (or ever)

12. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

ARG! I just noticed that my big arse feedback post was deleted in the forum rollback. It's a good thing I emailed it to myself because the forum was screwy that day (I typed it all out and at that time it wouldn't let me post it...I was like WTF)

Code:
    [QUOTE=Harbula]A Good Iron Golemancer can take out
    Hell Cow Level easily, and is a fantastic crowd
    clearer![/QUOTE]

In .09 yeah, seems that this is what your friend was
    referring to. Damage return has some use in 1.10, but
    it's not enough to sustain an Iron Golem in hell cows
    any longer  :(

Using a Thorns merc + revives or skellies (thorns
    being from inherit aura (nightmare combat act 2),
    edge, or bramble runewords taken into consideration)
    would probably end up being superior to a single
    minion with the aura.

[QUOTE=Harbula]A Fire Golem, though may be the
    strongest of all the golems, [/QUOTE]

Not to nitpick but Gumby (pet name for clay golem) is
    generally looked at as the most powerful, in the fact
    that he has the highest life and he slows, but you go
    into that later on ;)

Fire Golem's attack damage is actually less than a
    well made Iron Golem's so he's not the most powerful
    there either.  :( 

[QUOTE=Harbula]As the Thorns Aura returns ALL damage,
    and gives no boundaries of the type.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that only physical damage is returned,
    and that's only when it's administered in a melee
    attack. This limits the options for a damage-returned
    base build.

[QUOTE=Harbula]Iron Golem
    Prerequisites: Clay Golem [6], Blood Golem [18]
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 or MAXED
    or 10 for Clay Golem, one for Blood Golem.

No questions asked, you weren't asking any, right? You
    need this skill to make this guide true to it's name!

Fire Golem
    Prerequisites: Clay Golem [6], Blood Golem [18], Iron
    Golem [24]
    Skill Point Allocation: NONE, MAXED or 10
    Skill Point Allocation for Prerequisties: 1 or MAXED
    or 10 in Clay Golem, 1 in Blood Golem and of course,
    MAXED Iron Golem.

The Fire Golem will bring up your Iron Golem's DAMAGE
    POWER %+. This is again an personal preference, in you
    don't want to use an Fire Golem, don't put a single
    point in it. Or MAX it out to sygerngy, or 10 to go
    half way with Clay Colem.[/QUOTE]

This is just a suggestion, most summoners decide to
    specialize in either damage return (televangelist) or
    attack damage (skellymancer). I think it would be wise
    to suggest maxing out either Iron Golem or Fire Golem,
    since if you wanted to make your golem out of a decent
    weapon, the damage return will not be as useful (since
    it's pretty useless in hell), however, if you wish to
    specialize in damage return you really won't need to
    max out Fire Golem OR Clay Golem, since the attack
    rating/damage enhancement will not effect the damage
    return whatsoever.

[QUOTE=Harbula]Only 5 skills I really recommend.
    Corpse Explosion, Bone Spirit, Amplify Damage, Lower
    Resist OR Iron Maiden (Only one of the last two, NOT
    both!)[/QUOTE]

I'll echo that an unsynergized Bone Spirit isn't worth
    it's beans in hell, but what I really want to go into
    is that Amp is superior to Iron Maiden for damage
    return builds where a thorns aura (or inhertited
    damage return...like Iron Golem's mini-thorns aura) is
    found.

Like you noted, Amplify damage increases damage by
    100%, however, the skill description is misleading, it
    actually lowers the afflicted enemy's physical
    resistance (commonly referred to as damage reduction %
    on items...just a note) by 100%. So against a monster
    with physical resistance (which isn't that uncommon)
    your actually more than doubling damage.

Say, a monster with 50% physical resistance, would
    take 200 damage out of 400 damage returned. When
    amped, it has -50% physical resistance so it would
    actually take 50% more damage (instead of reducing it
    by 50%) which would result in 600 damage, which is 3
    times as much as it would have.

Also, in that same principle, say your Iron Golem
    would return 300% damage, if the monster is amped with
    it strikes your Golem (lets say the monster has a base
    0% physical resistance), it is actually taking 600%
    damage.

---

Overall it seems like a build that could be decent
    when utilized correctly, however theres a few more
    things I'd like to look at...like if you go damage
    return you wouldn't want to make the Iron Golem out of
    something with high defence, that means he won't get
    hit as much...which is bad. Also Iron Golem is rather
    contradictory in that fact that pumping more points
    into the skill raises the damage return % but also
    raises the defense significantly  :( 

A single point into Iron Golem should be suffiecient
    if you didnt' want to go the damage return route, and
    just wanted to use the golem to attack (when made out
    of a decent damage weapon)

Also some things you may want to go into what kind of
    items would be best suited to make an Iron Golem for
    it's different strategies.

For damage return-type Items I would think that a
    crossbow "Edge" runeword would be good, as the runes
    are cheap and easily found by nightmare, and the
    damage return from the level 15 Thorns Aura it grants
    is 810%, which is far superior to say, a level 20 Iron
    Golem, which has a damage return of 420%.

The
    [URL=http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-summoning.shtml#irongolem]Areat
    Summit[/URL] states that you cannot make an Iron Golem
    out of a crossbow however, which is probably true.
    However the Arreat Summit has been wrong many times
    before, so you may want to confirm this (I'm at school
    at the moment so I can't :rant: ). An Edge Iron Golem
    would definitely be useful so it might be worthwhile
    to check it out. However I wouldn't doubt that you
    can't. 

The Bramble runeword would be an expensive option, but
    alot of the time people are upset when they create a
    Low Bramble (25-29%) and will trade them off
    relatively cheaply. Since the poison damage
    enhancement doesn't matter for your golem the Thorns
    aura would quite useful, although making a Iron Golem
    out of an expensive runeword could be foolhardy, as if
    you die or your golem dies it's gone forever.

If Thorns works with Iron Golem like meditation from
    Insight works with mercs (they are not effected by the
    meditation aura when you have it with a pally's skill
    but are effected by it when they are the ones with the
    aura granted from the item), then that could even save
    you the skill points of pumping Iron Golem and still
    having a good damage return that effects your party. I
    am unsure of the mechanics of that, though it may
    work. Hell, Iron Golem's inherited "thorns" may stack
    with it's "skill thorns" in the same way that Thorns
    and Spirit of Barbs stack, which would be very nice
    combined with Amp Damage. Though all of that is
    theoretical, as things don't seem to go so
    "hand-in-hand" much of the time. Some testing should
    be done.

Hwanin's Armor is also a great Damage-Return style
    Iron Golem fodder, as it is pretty cheap and it has a
    chance to cast Static Field when your Iron Golem is
    struck, which is simply great for weakening crowds.

Chance to Cast on being struck anything is great for a
    damage return build.

Also, for the Attack-Side

I'm not sure if in 1.10 Iron Golems still do not
    benefit from 2-hand damage. The
    [URL=http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-summoning.shtml#irongolem]Areat
    Summit[/URL] states that it doesn't, but, as mentioned
    before, there are alot of incorrect things on that
    site.

If for some reason it does, an Immortal King Ogre Maul
    or Windhammer Ogre Maul are both rather cheap options
    that would be quite effective to make an Iron Golem
    out of.

Both of the above have Crushing Blow, which is lovely.

There are many high damage weapons that go low in
    trade for one reason or another (Hellslayer comes to
    mind, as it has no IAS)

The Insight runeword would be useful for either build,
    as Insight's +Critical Strike DOES grant your golem
    that ability (funny enough, I asked the statistic
    junkies about this when the runeword was released) as
    well as providing your Necro with a limitless mana
    pool, all at the expense of a Sol rune (which ain't
    much ;), and is easily found/upped in the cube to).

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that the %
    Enhanced Damage from Fire Golem would enhance the
    Golem's Damage much like skill/mastery Enhance Damage,
    which would be quite good.

You should also go into a mercenary section, as every
    Player Versus Monster Build needs some merc lovin' :D

Some things I have to add, is that I tested and there is NO WAY you can make an edge iron golem...which is a pity. I guess the best damage return golem would be a Bramble...but that can be quite expensive.

13. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

There is one good thing about using an Iron Golem. Back in the day when Grandfathers were popular among Barbarians, this kid kept dropping his on the floor and picking it up quickly to annoy people. So my friend turned it into an Iron Golem. :lol:

14. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

LOL, yes, that use should be included as well.

My favorite story is when the same thing happened (except with tal armor) and the kid was all "OMG GIVE BACK!"

:lol:

15. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Haha. For added laughs you could always unsummon it right in front of him. ;)