Iron Golem Theory

Kaotic Dragon

Diabloii.Net Member
Iron Golem Theory

I'm building my first necro and decided to make a fishymancer. Well I made sure to get to level 24 before I hit Durry get decrep, (See Nightfish I learned can I have a cookie?), and this purdy Iron Golem skill as well.

I was heading through Kurast, my 5 skelly army, Merc, and Iron Golem were rocking through with the help of a lvl 6 amp damage curse, (found a wand with +2, a head with +3, and the 1 point into the curse, +1 to skelly mastery wand, and head on weapon switch to prebuff the skellys.) When my Iron Golem who had full health just died on the spot melting into goo. Even though he was made out of a crappy weapon I found I was still sad to see my first IG just die. But he still died so I have a theory:

Can the Iron Golems Life be tied into the Durability of whatever is used to make him? When that runs out they will just cease to exist as that weapon.

I was tossing this idea around in my head, and thought it could explain some of there deaths or disappearances I know that sometimes you run to far ahead and he poofs, or blizzard punishes us for being good players and he poofs, but not all the time. I was wondering what you all thought as well.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Iron Golem Theory

Strange, usually when the iron golem poofs there shouldn't be a pile of goo on the floor. I think it must've been a bug were for some random chance he still left a body. I don't think it has anythin to do with durability

Also, lvl 24 before duriel is overlevelling. 21 is normal

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Can the Iron Golems Life be tied into the Durability of whatever is used to make him? When that runs out they will just cease to exist as that weapon.
Don't think so. The IG just equips the item he is made from and I'm pretty sure that just like mercs he doesn't use durability.

Duriel can be a real pain in the *** depending on your gear. Getting to 24 to get Decrep is nothing out of the ordinary.

NumtyDoo

Diabloii.Net Member

I am playing untwinked this season and found that doing a few canyon runs in 8 player games can get you to lvl 24 pretty easy. I found playing untwinked, that in general I need to be several levels higher to achieve what I used to with better items.

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member

Kaotic Dragon, did/do you have any points in Summon Resist?
Golems really benefit from points in SR (usually 1 hard pt and some +skills) when faced with elemental damage. It makes all the difference.

Kaotic Dragon

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah i put the traditional 1 pt into summon resist. But I also put some tough rules on myself at the same time where I cannot buy any gear from venders, but I have to find everything, lol which puts a damper on that. (gold can be used for repairs, and gambling on items for my merc only) lol

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

Why is it fun overlevelling and then beating a boss with no challenge? Kinda beats the meaning of the game if you ask me

Kaotic Dragon

Diabloii.Net Member

Lumpor all I did was Tomb for a few levels, there was little over leveling involved. I'm probally one of the few on bnet who refused to get rushed and chaosed or however they do it now. Everything I have done so far I've done Solo by myself, all gear was found, besides I would have faced durry at lvl 23 if I would have went right in instead of hanging back for a bit.

DragoonV

Diabloii.Net Member

I did Duriel at 22, with just gear I have found myself ... I had 6 skeles, 3 mages, Clay Golem and Defiance Merc. I cast Amp and stood there while he died.

As far as the IG goes, I really have no idea what would have made him just poof away.

Arkansaw

Banned

just like the rest of your minions, they can all poof when you move over a certain distance, i.e. returning to City of the Damned from Pandemonium Fortress after you save & exit due to some danger. You'll certainly notice this over time. Sometimes it helps to take short breaks in between and use town portal to make a quick trip to town and back.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Why is it fun overlevelling and then beating a boss with no challenge? Kinda beats the meaning of the game if you ask me
Who said anything about overlevelling? With a build like a Meleemancer you're really in for an impossible time if you don't get that Decrep going on Duriel. LT will only get you so far since you hit incredibly slow.

Sure there are builds that can do it easy at a lower level. A lot of it depends on your gear as well. But some builds just need that one curse.

Arkansaw

Banned

Nah, it's only overleveling when you use Revives against Duriel ;)

Duriel is lvl 22, Decrep is 24, well within the range

XtremeTiramisu

Diabloii.Net Member

Can anyone please explain why my Iron Golem doesn't show life leeching in red from the weapon it's made from? The description of iron golem is that it gains all properly of an armor or a weapon that's made from metal. I made my iron golem from an unique ethereal poleaxe with life leech property, but my iron golem doesn't show signs of leeching like my merc does. Is the life leeching actually working becouse it's hard to tell as my iron golem is in full health most of the time when he fights the enemies.

Another question, does iron golem fully gains the weapon damage? For example, an iron golem has its attack dmg at 100-125 at level 10 but this damage will be calculated with the weapon damage for the final total damage.

It's not clear becouse we can't view the stats change like we can view our merc's attribute, defense, damage, life, sorts of informations by pressing the O key on our keyboard as the default setting.

Final question:
Let's say I've made my iron golem when my summon skill tree levels are at level 10.
That means my iron golem was made at the time when golem mastery and iron golem were at level 10.
Later on in the game, I eventually gain more plus skill items that boosts my summon skill tree levels from original 10 to a grand total of 18 in every summon skill levels.
Now the question is "How do I know or how can we tell that my originally created level 10 iron golem gets buffed up from an increased in the golem mastery and iron golem skill levels at level 18?"
It's obviously not easy to get off my nerve by just recast another iron golem as each time it costs an item to make an iron golem. It's not flexible like clay golem for example that I can just recast it when its skill level and its synergy increases (this is obviously the dumb and easy way to let the player know the current "stats" of your golem).

Thanks in advance,

XT

NumtyDoo

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't know about the leach part.

IIRC, the golem is "recast" at the start of every game. So what ever skill lvl you are at in the loading of the game, is what lvl golem he will be. So when you leave the game, have your most +skills items on for a strong golem when you make your new game.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't want to continue the levelling conversation and I think it's ok to do whatever you want, I merely want to say that it is possible for weak untwinked builds to solo duriel. For example, I've beaten him with an untwinked lvl 21 amazon using only a lvl 1 power strike (didn't know about charged strike effectiveness against bosses at the time). I died about 10 times and used about 15 town portals. So it is possible, but of course it's more convenient and practical to just do some tomb runs.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

I use iron golems a lot and rarely have problems with them dying on me. Pretty much the only time I lose them is when they get cursed with iron maiden. Of course that is in hell where I've got 20 points in golem mastery since the 3 core skills are maxed already.

As for levels... Well, if you use /players 8 in SP you will rarely be lower than 24 before you get to duriel. If you get rushed on battle.net you will be a lot lower... If you play alone on b.net you might be anywhere between 14 and 24, I guess.

Kaotic Dragon

Diabloii.Net Member

Wow Mad Mantis, LozHinge the Unhinged, and Nightfish all posted in my thread I'm honored to have 3 great Necro's post in here.

Heres an update on my progress though. Not much time to play, but I managed to kill norm baal at lvl 32. Right now im at lvl 37 and got the Outer Cloister WP in Act 1 NM, having very few problems walking it.

Only 2 real finds in my eyes:
+1 to all Curses Amulet
Heavenly Garb Armor

Skills:
Lvl 7 amp, (1 Hard point, 1 from the amulet, 2 from my wand, and 3 from a head I found)

lvl 2 Decrep

Lvl 22 SM (Maxed out hard points, +1 from a wand, +1 from a head on switch for prebuff)

Lvl 10 RS (5 skelly's)

1 point into clay golem, iron golem, golem mastery, and summon resist