Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Iron Golem, best item to use?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by JabberMonkey, Feb 5, 2004.

1. JabberMonkey

JabberMonkey IncGamers Member

Iron Golem, best item to use?

For the most part i just use an eth unique armor of some sort. I would like to hear from other players what they think the best item is to make an iron golem out of?

2. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

I don't know, but I learned from shopping for my other character that cruel swords come up a lot more often at the vendor more often than they used to (or it was my imagination). I was wondering if shopping for a cruel sword to make him is a good idea.

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I used to make the iron golem from cruell pikes, they show up regularly @ larzuk's.

4. JabberMonkey

To my knowlege though, iron golems do not retain stats from weapons, only armor classes. This is the way it was in .09, and i have heard nothing to make me think otherwise on the forums or in my own testing. I want him to tank and stay alive as long as possable, so that he is returning damage as long as possable to the monsters. Thats why in the past (.09) people would use armor (i.e. shield, helm, boots, or armor like eth shaft) because most of the important mods (enhanced defence, life, res's) would carry over from the item to the golem. If you made him out of a weapon, he got no bonuses from it.

5. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

I prefer a 4 socket pally shield - ethereal if possible for the cool look - with perf diamonds . makes him pretty much immune to most stuff elemental and seems to live a long time . Of course with 1.10 the choice of golems for me is a clay golem as I play a skelemancer . Huge life bonus if synergized , slowing abliity , and cheap mana cost to recast . Of course your golem should be based on the type of necro you want to make .. See the Necro forum for the guides if ya dont know which way to go ..

:xflash:

6. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

If you make an iron golem the weapon damage DOES carry over - making the concept of the low level telenecro pker.

Shop the badest weapon you can find (or find an eth weapon ) IG it and tele onto targets for an easy ear - with a might merc as well you can get into the thousands of damage quite easily, add amp and go collect some ears:)

Chill

7. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Not only the weapon dmg but also any elemental dmg that is added to the weapon.

8. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Very true - when I find a cruel warpike of evisceration with ele damage too I might even be dangerous:)

Chill

9. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I disagree. Yes, weapons do huge damage, but an iron golem made out of a bigass weapon will nav very low defense//life//resists, and will kill a few things efficiently before being killed.

And yes, weapon stats DO carry over :)

I reccomend shaft if you have an extra one around or Hwanians armor. Hwanians has good defense, some other mods the most important of which being ___%chance to cast level __ static field on striking. Very useful on an IG IMO.

(maybe that static is chance when struck, i dunno, but its very nice either way)

- Matt

10. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Just to clearify, it's a % chance to cast static when getting hit.

It's a good armor for two-handed Druids that have massive life and gets hit alot :lol:

If it was on striking, this would be a killer armor for multi/fast-hitters ;)

/Magnus

11. Lu The Confused

Lu The Confused IncGamers Member

i figure the best would be something like a ethereal botd giant thresher of quickness or some sort ...
    might help get some duped runes off the realms :p
    latah
    lu

12. Kar-Karuk

Kar-Karuk IncGamers Member

Make your Iron Golen out of either "Beast" or "Doom" runewords for Fanta/Holy Freeze respectivly.

Kar. :drink:

13. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I'm sorry, but Iron Golems suck bigtime outside of low-lvl PvP; they're completely contradictory. You pump Iron Golem and he gets big bonuses to defense, keeping him from getting hit very often and returning any significant damage. You wanna make him outta something that'll keep him alive longer, like Shaft or Rockstopper, but the damage reduction keeps him from returning much damage once again. If you make him out of a high dmg weapon he'll still do pathetic dmg even with amp. And if you make him out of something with tons of resists he'll just get eaten up by physical dmg. The only useful golems are Fire (for its high life and ability to attract lots of monsters) and Clay (reasons TheDarkSide mentioned).

14. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Ig attacks about as fast as grandma driver her car on sunday

or

Like a Weabear with a TMaul no IAS FROZEN!

15. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I was always partial of making IG's out of blue items with the "chance for frost nova on struck" property. I found it a nice way to calm things down. Although frankly it's more of a novelty than a solid tactic you could count on. CG is much better, as has already been said.

16. Sip

Sip Banned

good choices are:

Hwannin's armor-casts static field when struck
    2 hand cruels-massive damage
    Useless new 1.10 uniques-some of these (like djinn slayer) add insane amounts of elemental damage.
    ethereal weps you would normally throw away (ethereal windhammer, ect.)

17. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Making IG from a weapon is useless for the most part due to poor dmg and slow speed. Therefore u really want soemthing that can tank and is cheap to make...

Hwanins armour is excelent
    All those rare pally shields that u find with high res, ed, ar, etc. that end up just getting sold.
    Something with high CB...i.e. IK maul, Bonesnap, Bloodtree. CB isn't dmg dependent and can really knock down hps on bosses fast.

Overall. IG's will die, so don't count on one that u make lasting indefintely. I'm lucky to get one to last a hell baal run.

Prez

18. JabberMonkey

Well with using a necro, just about any item will do, that i know. Fyi though, this is going to be used in conjunction with metalgrid. So no golem mastery, and this is strickly for pvm (and for the most part, solo runs).

19. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

If you can afford, an etheral exile vortex shield with 45% resist as automod would make the perfect tank IG.

20. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Lycander's Flanks make decent IGs for me.

Lucky