Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Iron Barb Input

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Serdash, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Iron Barb Input

Well since I apparently have a huge AADDIID(Advanced Attention Deficit Diablo II Disorder) issue and can't seem to get a character through hell without starting a new one, I've decided to make an Iron barb.

But I'm sorta stuck on what to choose for gear.

I know I want to go Sword/Shield so I can use the Doombringer that's been rotting in my stash for ages... but what other stuff should I shoot for? Here is what I was thinking:

Doombringer(Shael)
    Stormshield(Shael)
    Arreat's Face(Um)
    Stone(13% Sup Wire Fleece, 544 Def)
    Verdungo's
    Ravenfrost
    ?Ring2?Wisp?Nature's Peace?Other?
    ?Dracul's?IK Gloves?Venom Grip?(Life Tap and CtC Weaken would overwrite eachother too many times, so I'd probably skip Dracul's)
    Gore Riders
    ?Highlords?Cat'sEye?

Build would be:
    20 Shout
    20 BO
    20 Concentrate
    20 Sword Mastery
    1 Natural Resist
    1 Zerk for PIs
    Rest into Iron Skin?

I would distribute strength for gear, dex for block, and the rest into vit as per every single goddamn build on the face of the planet.

So does it sound good?

Advice? Changes? Beef Stroganoff?

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I'd get either defence or blocking. Both is more than you need and will weaken your offense way more than is worth. Thus I'd ditch the shield and use the doombringer 2handed.

3. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

4. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

i think u forgot to mention to put 1 point into BC

5. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Eh not really. You've got high defense. So there's a low chance of monsters hitting you, if it goes past defense, then you've got blocking to back you up. The more overall point to an Iron Barb is to be defensive. My offense should be just fine unless I'm in an area against huge amounts of attackers with ITD. Not to mention I'd be swinging at about 10 frames with that setup(5 attacks every 2 seconds) so it's not too bad. Shael in the shield makes block rate a bit faster, hit recovery would be great with Stone + Arreats. You can never have enough survivability.

Yeah, I've read through it a couple of times. But I felt like getting some raw input on specific things from more than just a guide. Always nice to have a second opinion. ;)

6. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

With my (less-than-ideal, I admit that (what with all those random skill points that got thrown about!)) Set/Unique worshipper tourney Concentrate barb, I found that I had great use for:

Taunt (1 point is enough): Great for all those annoying enemies that run away, to keep spawners from spawning, shamen from resurrecting, Zakarum priests from healing, Flayer blowdarters from keeping their distance, etc, etc.

Battle Cry (about 5 points, to get a decent duration): This did wonders for my character´s chance to hit. Also, already at level 1, Battle Cry reduces physical damage taken by 25% (and it increases 1%-unit for every additional level). This became an instant favourite for my barb. In the late game, everything that wasn´t Taunted became Battle Cried instead.

Just to be safe, use Berserk against ALL monsters in areas with OB Knights!

BTW, what merc are you planning to use? With all this tanking power, this is the perfect opportunity to use a ranged merc for variety´s sake, eh?

7. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Actually I planned to put a point in Battle Cry for early boss fights. Later on it will be a trivial skill, though since Stormshield + Verdungo's = 50% Damage Reduction which is the cap.

Since it isn't hardcore I plan to 'Zerk Oblivion Knights and fight off everything else if I'm not IM'd. If I die, well, I'll just have to run back and get my corpse. Then again in the WSK in late hell I might decide otherwise in heated situations.

I actually planned on a Might Merc. More damage is a good idea. Not a big fan of the Iron Wolves and I lack proper decent gear for a Rogue. (Though I'll admit my Blizzard sorceress had one through normal and she tanked Normal Duriel for quite some time, not to mention held up against most bosses much better than my other desert mercs ever did. Not to mention she was the one and only Isolide. Good to see she's still around for hire, eh? o_O)

Not sure. If I find a decent bow during MFing I might consider hiring an Act 1 Rogue and keeping her. It'd be interesting to see, and it'd give me an excuse to break free of the "OMG DUZ I UZ MIT OR HALY FREZ FOR CHARACTAR!!11oneonerolfroflrforfroforlforlfrofl" with all of my charcters.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Actually, the benefit in the late game was not so much the damage reduction, but the reduced defense of the enemies. My barb did a lot less (practically none!) whiffing when BC was active. Then again, he had only a couple of points in Concentrate and the appropriate Mastery. Your barb will have a much higher AR and chance to hit.

9. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Just from experience with the barbs especially the harder ones (like the magi and passive barbs) blocking with a high defence barb is not always great. the waste of the extra power or the second hit to give yourself 5%*75% less hits is a bit obsurd.

With extremely high defence you already avoid 95% of all hits, the 5% you don't avoid you will take onto blocking with 75% blocking that basically means 98.75% of all hits will be blocked or just flat out miss. 3.75% is not much when you can double your killing speed with dual wielding!

10. Bob_Bastard

Bob_Bastard IncGamers Member

The following is just my opinion and don't imply isthe best way at all...

1- Go for maximum damage: Use Doombringer two handed and ditch the shield. Its not worth it. Put the minimum Dex to use your sword and don't look back. I am at Act 5 normal with my Iron Barb using an upgrade Chieftain and I am doing in the range of 300-850 damage. Players 8 always and the onster die in 1 or two shot...

2- Avoid OB Knight like the plague: Doing this amount of damage will kill you instantly if they cast Iron Maiden. As soon as you get into Diablo lair switch to Zerk and stick with it. WATCH YOUR MANA! If you get empty you switch to normal (physical attack) and you take everything in the teeth...

3- I would skip Iron Skin and spread the rest of your point in other skill like Grim Ward and Taunt. I don't use Taunt personaly but it can be usefull. will talk about Grim Ward after.

4- Use a range merc. Stick with the Ice Amazon (my personal choice) or the Ice Mage of act 3. You really don't want to run around to kill the last stupid fetish...

Just my input. I will post more on it when I will have the time since Iron Barb is my character of choice...
    Bob

11. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

your plan looks great. However, you left two important skills.

1. BC - how can you afford not having this one? +1 to all skills, and you can use BC on itself, so it last longer. Remember the standard barb thing: 2x BC, 1x BO, 1x shout before doing anything else.

2. Increase Speed - you don't want to run, it will drop your defence to 0 and block to 25%. Fast walk is what Iron barb needs.

12. Sledge

Sledge IncGamers Member

my iron barb runs through hell all the time
    asmodeus's guide is good :D
    i wouldn't worry about curses, you would be using reapers merc anyway...
    got 2 echoing weapons for prebuff?

13. Nightfish

My point exactly. NF loves you ;)

14. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Sorry NF I am married, . . .

15. Nightfish

It's okay, it was more of a platonic kinda love anyway. :p

16. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

only one problem the various champion monsters and uniques with auras commonly has way higher ar then other monsters. not to mention the monsters that have fun with BlessedAim and conviction auras.

not to forget those monsters that lower your defence either;)

and if i remember right some monster attacks are still itd

it might not happen every day but sooner or later you bump into some monsters who dont get stopped by your defence

17. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Let me just say this:

I have played iron barb style builds, those monsters are rare and you can get around not having a shield, or you could keep one in your switch just for S&G.

18. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Keeping a shield on switch and not planning around blocking would make no sense. You wouldn't even block any attacks without proper dex investments.

Also if I'm going without a shield I might as well use a Maul, because otherwise that's kind of a waste of using two hands. The whole reason I was using a sword is because they can have high 1h damage and the shield slot is still open.

Don't take me wrong, the opinions so far have been great help and I'm considering some things, but I'm just kind of a person who is used to going with maxed block and can see some situations where it would be nearly impossible to go without. Even with gigantic defense.

19. Nightfish

You do realise that 2h swords do less damage if used one handed by a barb?

20. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Hmm, seems I too got AADDIID(Advanced Attention Deficit Diablo II Disorder). All this talk about an Iron Barb makes me wanna do one even though I got around 6 characters that I am currently playing :p

Oh yea, wouldn't an 1.07 Arcaines Valor be the perfect armor for this build with an Um rune? Just thinking since I am currently playing 1.07 aswell...