Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Iranian elections

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, Jun 24, 2005.

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Iranian elections

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...an_lat,0,5168420.story?coll=la-home-headlines

I know who i'm rooting for... the liberal guy that will try to tone down the theocracy and allow more tolerance. However, if my memory serves correctly from my political science class two years ago, the real power in Iran is the Council or some other religious body that oversees all decisions.

The point i want to make is how similar the conservative in Iran is to the conservatives in the US. And if the article states the positions of each candidate correctly, i would bet that almost all of the conservatives in the US would vote for the liberal guy in Iran.

2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, maybe not ALL the conservatives...
    While some in Washington are quick to describe Rafsanjani as a “moderate†or “pragmatic†figure who can save the day, it is imperative to understand the meaning - or lack thereof – of elections in Iran and to observe Rafsanjani when he is not busy spinning his image.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I'm rooting for the Ayatollah of Rockandrollah. He puts the fun and laughter in fundamentalist slaughter.

4. DrunkPotHead

Hmmm. Let me rephrase. Most US conservatives would not approve of the conservative candidate in Iran although they share many similar ideas. (Limiting social freedoms, blurring the line between Church and State...)

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Aahhh... much better. Your interpretation is up for debate, but it is doubtless that only a very {insane} small number of American conservatives are in favor of stoning adulterers, slavery, imprisonment for thought crime, clitorectemies (sp?), and most importantly, bhurka wearing.

EDIT - you gotta love this quote by the "moderate", though:

6. DrunkPotHead

All but two of the issues you mentioned (slavery and thought crime) stem from religion. US conservatives want to blur the line between Church and State, the difference is the faith they subscribe too.

You have me nailed with slavery but after watching fox news extensively, it seems like most conservatives wouldn't mind banning liberal thoughts and ideas. (Flag burning amendment anyone??)

7. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

YAY! Our consensus is destroyed. Phew. That was going on just a little too long...

So as far as you're concerned, religious conservative Americans are potentially just as vile and oppressive as their Islamic counterparts... interesting.

I disagree, of course, since I dismiss the concept that it is purely religion involved, but rather the culture itself, of which religion is only a part. If we were talking about the medieval cultures, the shoe would be on the other foot; the Christians would theoretically be wanting to burn a heretic at the stake while the Islamics would be a pretty reasonable crowd (excepting slavery).

The original comment was intended to be at least a little humorous. Bhurka wearing may be fine for a few guys, but I don't think many women would stand for it, even 'orthodox' ones...

8. DrunkPotHead

Not yet.

Not as vile and oppresive. Not even potentially as vile and oppressive. I'm just pointing out the hypocracy of US conservatists. "Islamic theocracy bad, but lets inject some christianity into our current government."

Perhaps we can agree that it's a mutilated form of religion? I remember you saying in the other thread that medieval christianity isn't christianity, just a perversion of it. Then we can agree that the things you describe above aren't islam, but a perversion of islam?

I got the joke. I just thought that Bhurka wearing is very close what some US conservatives want: prayer in public schools. The other examples were too extreme to relate.

9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

O well.

Certainly. We need to work together harder to find something to quibble & troll offensively over.

This isn't good enough for a real argument, but I can't equate Bhurkas to school prayer no matter how hard I try. Perhaps school prayer to Koran handling, or Bhurkas to.....&#^)#$^&#@)[email protected]$qwerty {snap! sizzle}

10. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

That the former president could be elected and bring more freedom in Iran, is just hot air.
    Choosing one or the other is like choosing between plague and cholera.
    Islam is just incompatible with human rights.
    Iran will be free when Islam is abolished there.Violations of human rights are due to the teachings of Islam,and not because of culture or other BS.

Comparing the US conservatives with the conservatives of Iran is ludicrous.The US constitution was not based on the teachings of the Bible,whereas the constitutions and laws in Iran were based on Islam.

11. DrunkPotHead

It's closer to choosing between metal and plastic when you want food. Niether one will help, just like neither of those men would be the ones making important decisions.

Uh-uh. We went over your contempt for Islam before. Quotes out of context can condemn just about anything.

The whole point is not how the government was based but where government officials want to take it. Conservatists in both countries want to avoid the separation of Church and State.

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I allways liked the sound of "Ayatollah" but it has to be said with a Sylvester Stalone accent to get the right cling to it.

13. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

How long will you use my past judgements on Islam to use them as a poor argument to avoid my views ?
    It would have been hard to quote the whole Koran :rolleyes: so a quote is necessarily out of context if considered separately.

14. DrunkPotHead

I'm not a religious scholar but i can look up some of the threads where some other forumers debunked your views.

15. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

This election is pretty pointless.

For the sake of the Iranian people, Ill support the more liberal candidate. Maybe theyll have an easier time with him.

But frankly, both are religious fanatics, both are criminals, and both won't make much of a difference in Iran, especially internationally.

16. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

You've pretty much been beaten over the head multiple times every time you try to attack Islam. Just give it up.

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You are entitled to your own opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.

- Dan Moynihan

18. DrunkPotHead

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You'd think that this dude would have used his involvement in the Revolution more effictively during his campaign. Something like, "I totally was on the team that kept the infidels hostage. Vote Kang and we will crush America!"

You can't buy that sort of street cred these days. Then again, some of the hostages say that this guy wasn't one of the captors. I guess we should hurry up and wait.