Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ip question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jippesaw, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Jippesaw

Jippesaw IncGamers Member

Ip question

Currently I cannot host a game because I don't know my true IP

This is my situation on how i am wired up.
    Com A connects to Internet.
    Com A is connected to Com B via a lan cable
    So in order for com B to access the internet, com A must be on
    Com B is what I am using to play Diablo

I went to whatismyip website to check my ip, and it's different from the one that is displayed in the game that I host. so which ip shld I used? Or do i need to combine both?

Thanks in advance

2. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Since your two computers are connected straight to others, you can use the in-game ip to join. If your second computer wasn't connected the first you would have to connect via the internet and use the hidden ip that you got from whatismyip.

3. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

A useful tip, if you didn't know about it already, is any IP address that is 192.168.x.x is a local address, and can only be used from your LAN and not from the outside.

4. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

This is somewhat a technic stuff, but If you are using a router, you must map the port 4000 (diablo 2 uses it) to the internal IP of Com B (internal is the ip that diablo 2 shows).

I have a link from other forum game that show how to do it on some common routers, using other ports but its the same idea. Tell me if you want me to PM the link to you.

Its also called virtual server, port mapping, NAT etc.

If Com A connects directly to internet using a Cable-modem or a usb DSL modem, you must do it using Windows NAT. Im not sure about how to do it. I only did that on linux :p

Hope it helps.

5. Jippesaw

I dont know if I fully understood your post, but what I make it out is that the IP address other have to use to connect to me, can be obtained from the line PROXY DETECTED is " ..... "

Did i get it correct?? Thanks anyway

6. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

No, the IP is the one that whatsmyip is showing. The problem is the port mapping I told you in my post.

7. Jippesaw

Ok I just found out that COM A and Com B display exactly the same content when viewing whatismyip website

Even more confused than ever...

8. Jippesaw

Ya, I think the link would help in one way or another.
    PM me please, and thanks

9. BennB

BennB IncGamers Member

This is you external ip address, ComA has two ip addresses, ComB has one.

As said before, ComA and ComB commicate using a private address scheme, usually this starts with 192.168.?.?

To find the ip addresses you can use the command ipconfig on WinXP/Win2000 or Winipcfg if you are using Windows98 (you type this in from a command prompt).

The website is reporting the same Ip for both is because ComA is looking after the ip communications for ComB. This is done using NAT.

If you would like to reply or PM with your IP addresses, and method for connecting to the net I am more than happy to help.

10. HarleyWulf

HarleyWulf IncGamers Member

I could use that link PM'ed to me please. I am trying to set up the route and not getting anywhere. Thanks!

11. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

this is as it should be. think of IP's as analogous to a phone number - the number applies to the line coming into the house, not the individual computers. If some one wants to call your house from outside, they use the same phone number no matter what phone you use to answer. If you want to use one phone inside to call the other though, you don't need the outside number, you need an "extension" in order to reach a specific phone on the same line. That is what an internal IP is - the number the Diablo shows you in game. It is the internal extension of the computer you are on.

If two people want to play Diablo, one on each computer, they would use the internal number Diablo shows to connect to each other. If you want other people outside to join you, they need the outside number, the one whatismyip.com shows.

If you are using a router (which you should be if you have two computers connected to one internet jack) then you need to tell the router that incoming requests to talk to your computer are ok so long as they are using the port that Diablo listens to. sounds like others have already offered to explain that part in more detail though, so I'll leave it to them.