Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ioupainmax's Character Collection

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ioupainmax, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

ioupainmax's Character Collection

Introduction

Despite being a member for so long, I've never posted any Mat/Pat threads due to a number of reasons:
    1. Anxiety (see 'Random Thought' spoiler in my post here) - thinking that people don't want to see my basic cookie cutter characters or feeling that there are enough examples of those already, why add more?
    2. Stressful life/work combined with tiredness/laziness, meant that I wanted to spend time playing rather than documenting/writing
    3. Often, my builds are inspired by other Mat/Pat threads and I didn't feel like my character would offer anything new in terms of build/gear/insights
    4. Many of my characters are still holding out for a specific item or runeword, so they aren't 'finished-finished'
    5. In the early days, I wasn't so organised in writing down elements of each character's journey, tough battles or even capturing screenshots of good drops, boss kills, earning a title and hell forge drops (captured the decent runes from HF but didn't bother with trash runes)
    6. Feeling like my characters weren't worthy, since they didn't have high end runewords (until a few years ago, I hadn't made Grief (Perfect +400! on 2016-06-19), Exile (2017-06-03), CTA (2016-06-24), Enigma (2016ish), HoTO(2016-06-24), Fortitude (2016-06-24) etc. and I still don't have Infinity or Chains of Honour):
      upload_2018-7-2_20-21-4.jpeg
      upload_2018-7-2_20-21-13.jpeg
      upload_2018-7-2_20-28-30.png

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/thr...ad-september-2015.920508/page-39#post-8768780

7. I went through several phases of playing a lot and then nothing at all for months or years
    8. I also went through several phases of actively posting or simply lurking - it meant I didn't bother posting many finds (see laziness), other than really top end things like Runewords or Tyrael's (2011-02-01):
      upload_2018-7-2_20-19-34.png
      upload_2018-7-2_20-19-11.png
    9. My screenshots were a mess until about a year ago, where I sat down and used Bulk Rename Utility to at least attempt to sort them out - still can't find my Enigma screenshot
    10. Changing computers and thus Operating Systems several times over, meant several other changes along the way
      - I moved from ATMA to GoMule some years back
      - One of my previous installations had CRM (Colour Rune Mod) but this disappeared when I reinstalled, so my runes abruptly change colour from Orange, Purple, Red (based on rarity) to just Orange at some point in the journey
    Recently, I have been posting about some of my characters (Untwinked 99er and TC3 Tourney) and I've got 'the writing bug' so I thought I'd try to document some of my old Mats/Pats (over a decade old!) and piece together what I could from the character and stash files I still have and any screenshots or other records I still have. I hope you find it interesting or at the very least, I can provide some backing to support my Mūríos Project entry!

This will be ongoing as I will post a Mat/Pat thread and then link back to here.

Background Information

Here is just some background information about my playstyle.

My order of preference for character classes (number of characters as of 2018-07-02):
    1. Sorceress (21)
    2. Paladin (13)
    3. Amazon (9)
    4. Barbarian (8)
    5. Assassin (3)
    6. Necromancer (4)
    7. Druid (5)
    [NOTE: This preference order shifts around a bit on the lower end - but the top 2 remain the same. The numbers in brackets are all characters whatever their levels. Although I have more Druids than you'd expect, I do prefer other classes to them, I am just waiting for another Ohm to make a WW Assassin for example]

I much prefer casters/ranged characters to melee fighters and I'm a huge fan of Blizzard Sorceresses...I have 4 of them! They each occupy a specific niche, with associated gear/merc differences: I have an AT runner, Meph runner, Pindle runner and a new-ish LK runner (haven't run LK in earnest yet).

When I'm relaxing on autopilot, I like to run Hell Mephisto ad infinitum with a Blizzard Sorceress using the moat trick. I'm chronically short of Arachnid Mesh and SoJ to feed my caster habit. You'll see in my 'Rules' section that I need each character to have their own gear, so I can't simply share the rarest unique/set items - in the case of Arachnid Mesh, belts would be especially cumbersome!

My Flavie report (see signature or click here) reflects my love of Meph running and my insane need to pick...up...every...single...set...and...unique! I am going for an Eth Grail, Perfect Grail and Eth Perfect Grail at some point, for when I finish my main Grail, so I thought I'd start early.

I've tried Travincal Running and LK, but I quickly tire of those. Meph just triggers those reward centres of my brain much better even if I only do a short set of maybe 10 runs, it feels a lot more like progress. I will return to LK and Trav, just need to work up the energy!

I cubed an awful lot of level 50 Grand Charms and I realised I have actually staggering number of skillers...and you guessed it, lots for Druids and not enough for Sorceresses :mad:. I've actually modified the HTML and CSS to display this in Flavie, which is a cool addition along with toning down the original garish colours for a more muted palette.

My Rules

Self-found
    I get the most enjoyment from the game by finding/crafting my own gear.

Each character has their own gear, no sharing if possible
    I prefer to have each character ready to play whenever I feel like it, so each character must have their own gear set but I do occasionally allow the sharing of CTA because it's quite high end (for me) and is only a switch weapon.
    In order to support this habit, I have done thousands and thousands of Hell Mephisto runs to provide sufficient kit to everyone. See Flavie for the number of repeat items I have, I'm a pack-rat who is cursed to find tonnes of Druid items despite the fact that it is my least liked character class o_O.

FAM: GoMule, multi instance dll and RWM
    Gotta have those Insights & Spirits

Patch: 1.14d

Some of my characters started out in the late days of 1.11 or early 1.12a (too long ago to recall) and I moved to 1.13 for the rune drops as soon as I could, then I languished in 1.13 for a while, not wanting to alter my install after finally getting it to work in a stable fashion. Then 2 computer deaths meant I finally went to 1.14d relatively recently.

Do Quests and get Waypoints but save some rewards
    I like to get every WP (except Halls of Pain in Hell) and I like to complete all quests but I still haven't used all my personalisation rewards or imbues etc. Sometimes my map is too good to risk losing it by going back to a previous difficulty to get those rewards.

Characters

{Look out for additions to this section}

Code:
    Class        Name          Primary Theme                       Build                          Date of Title   Level
    -----------  ------------  ----------------------------------  -----------------------------  --------------  -----
    Amazon       Artemis       Greek Goddess                       Windforce Multi/Strafezon      ?               90
    Amazon       Atanea        Set Septumvirate & Famous Amazons   M'avina's Battle Hymn Magezon  2011-01-28      83
    Amazon       Hippolyte     Greek Mythology & Famous Amazons    Fishyzon                       ?               **
    Amazon       Medusa        Greek Mythology                     Medusazon                      2011-08-05      83
    Assassin     Hope          Buffy                               Lightning Trapper              ?               87
    Assassin     Ten-ten       Naruto                              Blade Fury Assassin            2012-02-02      81
    Barbarian    Korgoth       Set Septumvirate & Malloreon        Immortal King Whirlwinder      2011-11-05      **
    Barbarian    Korzeth       The Belgariad & The Malloreon       Dual Oath Whirlwinder          2012-04-16      90
    Druid        Boreas        Greek God                           Wind Elementalist              2015-07-05      82
    Druid        Vulcan        Set Septumvirate & Roman God        Aldur's Fireclaws/Fury WW      2011-11-24      82
    Necromancer  Bane          Set Septumvirate                    Trang-Oul's Avatar Venomancer  2015-08-02      85
    Necromancer  Osiris        Egyptian Gods                       Bonemancer                     2016-07-12      83
    Necromancer  Sauron        The Hobbit & The Lord Of The Rings  Fishymancer                    2009-04-02      86
    Paladin      Baradiel      Archangel Septumvirate              Frostadin                      2011-07-21      84
    Paladin      Barakiel      Archangel Septumvirate              Tesladin                       2011-02-12      83
    Paladin      Gabriel       Archangel Septumvirate              Elemental Zealot               2017-06-01      87
    Paladin      Garion        The Belgariad & The Malloreon       Fanatic Zealot                 2011-02-17      90
    Paladin      Thunaer       Norse God                           Hammerdin                      2011-07-25      93
    Sorceress    Firestorm     Set Septumvirate                    Tal Rasha's Wrappings Meteorb  2015-07-17      85
    Sorceress    Gale          Weather & Welsh                     Blizzard Sorceress             2017-12-24      86
    Sorceress    IonStorm      Weather                             Energy Shield Sorceress        2012-02-04      89
    Sorceress    Ororo         X-Men                               Chain Lightning & Frozen Orb   ?               90
    Sorceress    PhoenixStorm  X-Men                               Meteorb Sorceress              ?               90
    Sorceress    Rukia         Bleach                              FB/FO                          2009-05-08      92
    Sorceress    Selene_I      Greek Goddess                       FO/FB                          2018-07-06      79
    Sorceress    Selene_II     Greek Goddess                       FO/FB                          2018-07-10      78
    Sorceress    Selene_III    Greek Goddess                       FO/FB                          2019-06-20      80
    Sorceress    Vesta         Roman Goddess                       Ranged Enchantress             2017-09-24      81
    Sorceress    Xathanea      Angel                               200% FCR Nova/FB               2017-10-16      87

Set Septumvirate
    I'm working on a Set Sept:
    M'avina's Battle Hymn (Complete) - Atanea
    Natalya's Odium (Level 57)
    Immortal King (Complete)
    Aldur's Watchtower (Complete)
    Trang-Oul's Avatar (Complete)
    Griswold's Legacy (Level 1)
    Tal Rasha's Wrappings (Complete)

Archangel Septumvirate
    These are Archangel, Seraphim and other Angel-based builds (not related to the Angelic set)

Socket & Hell Forge Quest
    Selene_I (Complete)
    Selene_II (Complete)
    Selene_III (Complete)

Ancients
    I'm working on a trio modelled after The Ancients, need to get more Arreat's, Gore's and HLW before continuing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Babyhell, Yng, sanguillen and 12 others like this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Glad to see you doing this mate. It doesn't matter if a character is cookie-cutter, kitted out with high end runewords or has a really boring. They are yours, be proud to display them. If anybody disagrees and thinks that your character isn't worth it, **** 'em, that's their problem. I don't think that there are many members of this forum with that kind of 'I'm better than you' attitude though.

sanguillen, Zyr and ioupainmax like this.
  3. ioupainmax

@Kitteh it's more about my internal monologue rather than anything anyone here has said, but I appreciate the kind words.

4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed. Very cool you are doing this. Looking forward to a lot of reading.

ioupainmax likes this.
  5. ioupainmax

I'll try, I've realised it is actually quite a lot of work to put together Mat/Pat threads with the level of detail I put into Garion. Maybe I'll cut back on the detail for future ones.

It's a real shame that I can't control the output of the GoMule dump, then I could format it in code and save a lot of time formatting it after the fact. GoMule does a really weird order of items and includes things nobody cares about like Potions or the individual runes that make up a runeword.

Fruit likes this.
  6. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

It really is haha Most of my guardian threads are really basic. I just don't have the Maltatai skill.

Maltatai and ioupainmax like this.
  7. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

I'm really glad you started to share stories/builds of your characters.

There can never be too many Mat/Pat/Guardian threads!

Zyr, ioupainmax and Pb_pal like this.
  8. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

I, too, am glad you're doing this; thanks in advance. :)

That's exactly the way I play. I do HC, so in the event of a death any gear sharing risks crippling one or more additional characters. The only exception I make is for my second-best bed Gheed's Fortune, which is shared ATM between a Sorc, a Paladin, and an Assassin. (I play non-Ladder on bnet, and only have two; the better one remains on my highest level character for gambling.)

QFT, da, oui, ja, si, amen!

ioupainmax likes this.
  9. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

Don't worry about screenshots too much, everyone knows what the game looks like anyway :). The thing making character threads really interesting is backstories the conclusions and tips about how you overcome difficulties.
    +1 to that.
    I recognize the feeling very much. It's totally wrong none the less since completing the game with bad gear is an achievement and testament to skill and not something you should even have to consider being embarassed of.

Zyr and ioupainmax like this.
  10. ioupainmax

I hadn't even considered HC (I only have HC tourney characters that I must resume at some point), but yes that makes perfect sense.

@Zyr wrong screenshot uploaded I think!

I'll have to try to remember the challenging fights, some of these characters made Mat/Pat many years ago and I'm trying to catch up to present day. :confused:

Luckily, Hell Meph drops rather decent gear, so I can't claim to be playing with 'bad gear' in the true sense, but sub-optimal, but I understand and appreciate the sentiment!

11. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Ridiculous.

Nice thread. I might emulate some day.

ioupainmax likes this.
  12. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Always post your characters!

Pb_pal likes this.
  13. ioupainmax

14. ioupainmax

15. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I know these feels. Alot. Here, definitely, but also other forums in the past and without a doubt analogs of those worries in other areas of life. If I may, and as is my wont, I'll wall of text a bit about mindset and brain stuff for a bit.

Others have said some pretty awesome, supportive things and that's fantastic and so are they, but no reasoned statement can successfully battle an emotion. And the thing to keep in mind is that those other reasons you listed here, and elsewhere, and ones you've had pop up in your head that keep you from doing an action still flow from the anxiety. It can be useful to look at your brain as a collection of tools with a number of people having access to those tools - in this example the tools represent logic and reason, and the people represent emotions as well as the part of you that you think of as "you," if you get me. In the same way you can present a reasoned argument, so too can your anxiety, or your anger or doubt or anything else.

Life, however, is not bounded by human reason, and the ability to express a reasoned argument does not mean the resulting conclusion is accurate. My go-to example here is Simon Newcomb, a polymath and astronomer, claiming manned flight impossible in 1903, very shortly before the Wright brothers successfully took to the skies. I like that one because it's very easy to focus on Newcomb being wrong, it's where our brains want to jump to, because most of us have probably partaken in heavier-than-air flight and we're all aware that it is an option. But Newcomb was also absolutely right. If you spin your perspective, from the information he had his claims were absolutely correct. But he was a human being (presumably, at least) and humans consistently suffer from having incomplete information.

Like Newcomb, our reasoning and logic are bounded by the limits in our knowledge. They're also held up by the pull of those other people who have access to them (ie, the emotions inside us) and can be faulty. That's important to note because no matter how completely an idea from our brain may seem to fit the situation, or how perfectly logical a statement from our head may seem, no thought from within us is above questioning or testing.

I'll run through one more quick aside by way of example. A couple months ago I was interviewing for a different position at my job. The logistics manager was on the panel, and one of his questions to me was "I remember very clearly one of my first interactions with you. I was trying to see which areas I needed my workers in the next day, and I asked how much material you thought would be made that night. You proceeded to break down the production capabilities of the machine, based on the different products available to run, touched on how much of each was ready to run and when and how much time would be necessary for changing over, as well as breaking down the inventory space situation and touching on likely contingencies, all on the spot. Not many people can do that. So my question is: how would you go about enhancing worker's situational awareness to help them achieve their goals?" And I'll be honest, I floundered around for awhile in my answer because the belief that none of my methods are unique or useful was so embedded in my thought process that I hadn't considered it as something I could help anyone with.

I have quite a bit of anxiety myself. And I'm aware that one of the ways I have coped with that is, frankly, by lying to myself. Using the above example, the lie being that I have no useful information to impart to others, so I don't have to interact with them and upset my anxiety. But, again in this example, taking the information before me, tracking it over the past, collating the information and projecting it out forward to have expectations of what's coming up, that's a process that I learned in school and have continued to practice in life and, especially, in games. It is a skill, one that I have and that others may have to a lesser degree or have not practiced to the same level, and I can enhance the knowledge of others using the knowledge I've gained through my methods.

To bring this back around to d2, and to touch on another of your points, most of my characters haven't gotten a writeup. I've made 7? 8? pure Blizzard sorceresses. None of them got a writeup. Why? Well, of course nobody needs another writeup of a pure Blizzard sorceress, right? Except is there a chance that someone out there could benefit from knowing how a player with as much experience with them as I have chooses what to fight or what to leave? Or what gear I would consider essential before moving forward from, say, NM Meph following a restart? Or maybe a breakdown of tactics for getting through things as a single-element character? These are the kind of thoughts that I'm starting to really have now, and I bring up those questions as examples of a simple truth: you have knowledge and experience, in whatever you choose to do, which has value. Maybe you won't do a character writeup that's like Maltatai's, but we have Maltatai - and Maltatai is no ioupainmax - so you don't have to. When I started visiting this forum, what really drug me in was a thread going on at the time about Conqueror Cosmo, and while waiting for updates on that I was too voracious for content so I also consumed tales of anna_goanna and tried to find as much from Insane Wayne and jiansonz as I could. My characters, and writeups, are nothing like theirs, even though I can still feel the thrill of following along with their words. But that's okay, because their writeups and characters celebrate their enjoyment of the game and their testing of their limits and following their fun, and in that aspect a similarity between their builds and mine can be found.

There isn't a recipe that must be followed for a character, or for interacting with the others here be it in a mat/pat/guardian writeup or any other thread. There are guidelines and templates, to place some boundaries and give a little structure, but at the end of the day we play the game to have fun. Did you have fun? Sweet! How? The answer to that question should drive you to whatever your destination is.

Lastly, circling back around to the beginning: if we decide that all of these worries come down to anxiety, what do we do about the anxiety? First of all, we accept it. There's nothing at all wrong with being anxious. It's not a disease. Completely normal. You get that feeling and you say "hey, I'm anxious." You identify the emotion, and you talk to it, like a person. You dig deep, try to understand, and reach a compromise to move along with your goal without facing a temper tantrum. Sometimes you face the temper tantrum regardless, but again you try to mend your fences and work together. Your anxiety is worried about posting cookie cutter builds? Do some weird ones first. It comes down to practice, and effort, and learning from failure, but you form a relationship with the voices in your head, just remember that at the end of the day the decisions are yours to make.

I'm pretty sure from what you've been saying, ioupainmax, that a good bit of this you've already come to know, or perhaps understand in a manner beyond my own, but seeing as how this is hopefully a thread a fair few people will see I wanted to take the opportunity to try to impart some of my knowledge and hope it provides some useful information to others. Also it gave me the chance to write a wall of text, and, let me tell you, this keyboard sounds absolutely glorious so I'm usually down to hammer away at it! ;p :rolleyes:

GooberGrape, zemaj, T72on1 and 4 others like this.
  16. ioupainmax

@maareek tl;dr....just kidding!

Thank you, that was very insightful!

With anxiety, sometimes I have to push myself out of my comfort zone and 'challenge' myself despite the objections raised by my anxiety. I challenged myself to write an awful lot of threads, which I've made a start on, let's see if I can carry on. My next challenge - within that wider challenge - is to write a very brief mat/pat thread and not go overboard with details

With that said, maareek...I'm going to challenge you to write up at least one Blizzard Mat Thread!

I have 4 Blizzard sorceresses, each doing a different target, I only Matted one of them, the other 3 are still Champions :p

Matriarch Gale, Blizzard Sorceress, Level 86, Lower Kurast
    Champion Storm, Blizzard Sorceress, Level 92, Mephisto (has run Meph for the last 20 levels or so....)
    Champion Yuki, Blizzard Sorceress, Level 93, Ancient Tunnels
    Champion Eira, Blizzard Sorceress, Level 95, Pindle

--

It's interesting that you say you have developed the skill to predict and forecast, I think that is something people with anxiety do well, we are always concerned with 'what ifs' and what will happen in the future, so we tend to think about different scenarios and come up with contingency plans as well as understanding the present and past situations in a lot of detail to give us more information to placate our anxiety. I've had similar experiences at work, where I 'just know things' because they have been rattling around my brain for hours, days or weeks....usually when I should be sleeping!

17. ioupainmax

18. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Great stories and builds @ioupainmax and @maareek ! A pleasure to read, thanks for sharing :)

ioupainmax likes this.
  19. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Wonderful. Can somebody frame this and hang it up in the bar?

These two paragraphs encapsulate exactly what this place is about for me. One of the common threads throughout the SPF's history is an absolutely all-consuming, insatiable thirst for more knowledge, data, and experiences. I have wonderful memories of many forumites from here over the years of all types. Whether it be the Gripphon-types breaking efficiencies like it's nothing, the jiansonz/Insane Waynes trudging through the game and using strategies and tactics that nobody else could think of, or the Reborn2k/Rizzo-types out there filling the dailies with stories and compassions, every single member here has added something invaluable; experience. It's things like this that have made the SPF as a whole greater than the sum of its parts. It is no coincidence that members new and old continue to join/re-join consistently to a forum dedicated to a small faction of single-players for a multiplayer game that is approaching the 20-year mark since its release date.

NanoMist, Zyr and ioupainmax like this.
  20. ioupainmax

Pb_pal likes this.