Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Invasion of the Child Snatcher - or... how I came to be a state worker.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LunarSolaris, Feb 5, 2004.

1. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Invasion of the Child Snatcher - or... how I came to be a state worker.

Well everyone, it's official... as of today I was hired with Childrens Protective Services (CPS). I have been hired as a social worker and will be placed in the investigations unit. While this is a great opportunity for me, I have to admit that it does give me some mixed feelings. I start my new job officially on Feburary 17th.

On the plus side, I'll be making about $500 more per month than I currently make, which will be great for me financially. Also... it offers a high amount of room for growth especially as I continue to work toward clinical certification (sort of like residency for social workers).

On the negative side I'll be dealing with potentially extreme cases of child abuse and it'll be hard to not want to harm a parent that abused their child... plus there are lot's of politics with the state - so that'll take some getting used to.

But... I've made it into the ivory tower. I'm not sure if it's the same in other states, but in Washington State, NO private non-profit agency can compete with the state wage-wise, and getting a state job here can be next to impossible sometimes.

So it's official... if you live in Yakima, you'd better be taking care of your kids the right way - or else you'll have to answer to ME! (scared, are ya?) ;)

2. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

Hurrah for destroying families! Sorry, I watch a lot of movies where the Childrens Protective Services are the evil people. What's up with that?

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

EXTRA EXTRA!-Todd Smells

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

Like in the simpsons, when those 2 guys take away lisa bart and maggie and give them to flanders because of a mistakening. For shame Lunar.....for shame.

5. Ash Housewares

beat you like a drum sucka!!!!!!!!!

BURRRRRRRRRN!!!!!!!

6. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Good luck with that, LS. I bet you'll do us proud. Oh, and remember, it's for the children.
    I applaud your choice of career from a moral standpoint; I just hope you can deal with the hard stuff.

7. USSOCOM

USSOCOM IncGamers Member

my dad does the samething...except down here in LA

8. LunarSolaris

That will probably be the hardest part, dealing with the parents that have chosen to abuse their child (especially deliberately). But... I am looking forward to being able to make a positive impact as possible and to hopefully be a good example of CPS.

And thank you, btw for the well-wishing. :)

9. One_Line_Drawing

One_Line_Drawing Banned

I was working at a local grocery store once and a 6 year old kid wearing only batman underwear and his 2 year old brother wearing only a diaper came in the store.

Everyone in the store was puzzled and wondering where these kids had came from. The kids went to the dairy section and grabbed a gallon of milk and dragged it over to the one of the registers. The 6 year old pulls three dollar bills out of his batman underwear to pay for the milk.

The manager asked the kids where their parents where.
    "At the house" the eldest one replies.
    "Where is your house at?" asks the store manager.
    "Its behind Wal-Mart" he replies back.

The Wal-Mart was over 5 miles away and these kids walked in with no shoes on and only underwear and a diaper.

We called the police and social services.... Turns out the kids parents were savage alcoholics. :(

It kinda hit me hard in a weird way because I use to wear batman underwear when I was a kid.

10. th5418

th5418 Banned

Ouch, thats pretty sad. 5 mile walk and with only underwear on? Hope those kids got good parents now.

11. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Damn, really makes you want to punch the parents. Well, me anyway.

12. fiend!

fiend! Banned

I think Michael Jackson would get another nose job to be in your shoes!

When I hear about child abuse it makes me really sick to my stomach. The news the other day had long story about child prostitution in Asia [I can't be more specific because I don't remember for sure] and they had video footage of a guy going into one of the brothels and it was extremely depressing and it was one of the major times I felt like causing extreme pain to adults who would even think about doing something so..wrong! One of the girls had an interview and she said she had been called and offered a job to work in a cafè as a waitress, and because her family was so poor she really wanted to take it. When she moved into the place where she was told she could work, she was locked up in a room and forced into sex with grown men [many were American men, one who was a doctor and who was found out later by Americans].

Think of the difference you can make in kids lives...that's extremely cool.

13. LunarSolaris

Well, I'm hoping to be able to wade through all of the political stuff to get to a point of making an actual difference. Where I'm working right now, it's hard to see where what I do actually makes a difference. I'm quite dissallusioned with the whole Workforce Investment Act program. In my opinion, it's a big waste of billions (yes, billions folks) of tax dollars. Sure it helps a few... but most of the people I serve could honestly do it on their own if they really wanted to.

Maybe it's just that I need a change of scenery.

14. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Not if you almost run yourself off the road chasing after leprechauns and concrete medians you won't. Remember, your guardian angel was crushed last time; I don't think he's looking forward to a repeat performance.

Congratulations on the job. At least you know where you're going with life. ;)

15. Ash Housewares

That guardian angel was just a day away from retirement, but now he's dead and in a better place...

16. LunarSolaris

I owe at least a lunch to my guardian angel for that one. Did I ever mention that the only damage to my car was an out of balance left front tire? How weird is that???

So... I'll have to tread lightly in my new job as I do not believe they've assigned another angel just yet.

17. th5418

th5418 Banned

But, hes an angel. Can angels die? Do they go to angel heaven or something?

18. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

You know I think the impact you might have felt just could have been your tires freaking out like crazy.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

No. Pittsburgh.

20. drunken muslim

drunken muslim IncGamers Member

Anaheim(sp?) maybe?