Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Intruder in the garage of Stevinator

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stevinator, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Intruder in the garage of Stevinator

okay, so there's this raccoon that keeps cmoing into my garage and I have to close the garage doors all the time to keep it out...even when we're grilling out and he should know not to come by. I'd prefer not to have to use the side door, and be free of this nusiance. anyway i was closing the garage door this evening and I nearly locked him in instead of out--crafty bugger. I'm not sure why he's coming in htere as I don't think he has discovered the garbage yet. I'd prefer he doesn't as coons make quite the mess when hunting food.

I don't want to kill it, as I'm not cruel...i just want to irritate it enough for it to associate my garage with the irritation or discomfort, what can i do? I'm looking for a solution that will make the thing naturally avoid my garage. Are there any legal ramifications to shooting it with those little plastic ball guns (not quite pellets since I think pellets are pointy metal objects)? would this hurt it enough to deter it, or would it hurt it really bad and maim it--not my intention. are there plants like marigolds which are known to keep rabbits away? How sensitive to high or low frequency sounds are they? how about different color lights? he doesn't seem to mind the regular garage lights. would a 6 volt battery kill it? would i prolly shock myself trying to rig something up?

other suggestions?

2. LordQuas

LordQuas IncGamers Member

Kick it in the balls.

3. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

Get a live trap. Catch it take it to the country and let it go.

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You can't annoy a coon to make it leave. Either poison the critter or use a live trap.

5. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

A 6-Volt battery won't kill anything, in fact, neither will a 500-Volt battery. The only thing that will kill something is a high Ampage. Just rig up a high voltage, low amp wire around your trash or something. Still, I think you were better off with the Airsoft gun idea. It should give the raccoon a sting and make it think twice about stopping by again. I had a coyote hanging around my house, and a pellet gun ended that right away. The electrical idea sounds like a fire hazard to me.

6. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Powder based skin irritants, spread around the edges of your garage?

7. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

okay, I don't know how much amperage comes in a 6 volt battery, because they name the batteries after the voltage. I'm talking about the big klunky lantern batteries. but I think the fire hazard thing is prolly right on. the trick to the little "pellet" gun is I have to be there guarding the garage. I'm starting to like this live trap idea provided it does two things.

first it can't cost a bunch. unlike my government I don't have unlimited funds for "homeland defense" and second, if this trap works, will i be able to pick up the critter trap and all without it scratching, biting or otherwise getting the last laugh? I'm not losing to a 'coon.

oh, and for the obvious question, where the heck do you get a trap? would they have one at farm and fleet? cuz i'm betting they won't at target.

8. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Try spraying it with a hose...

KnightFall

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Cayenne pepper. Lots and lots of cayenne pepper, spread around your garage and even more in your trash. Might not work, but it's worth a try. At worst you know you'll be makin him miserable.

10. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

shoot him with those little plastic balls from a toy gun. its pretty hard, you won't kill him though

11. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

12. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

I'd always heard loud music kept em away. Can't hurt trying.

Dutch

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

yeah but i don't think he can keep loud music all night long. can you?

14. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

True, but you only need it on long enough to

a) keep it out untill you close up for the night

b) it gets tired of it and stops trying.

Dutch

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Seconded - we used to use it against our dogs to stop certain "protest actions" (deliberate off-target piddles & gnawing). The problem is it washes away & fades in potency fairly quickly. But he won't be at all appreciative if you get it right. Imagine him trying to lick his hands clean...

16. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

My father-in-law used to have a racoon as a pet. He raised her from birth and she used to sit up on the couch and watch television with everyone. He named her Judy and she even slept in the bed when it was time to go to sleep. She thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

Racoons get a bad rap from everyone, but they are just like any other animal. Lots of people say they are rabies carriers, but no more so than any other animal. A dog or cat can contract rabies just as easy (if not easier) than a racoon can. The fact is, a 'coon is more likey to run from anything rather than fight it. This is not the case with Fido, who is trained to be inquisitive and protect us.

I can tell you from experience that racoons are extremely resilient animals. If they want to get into your garage, there is little you can do to stop them. The live trap is a good idea, but it can really hurt the 'coon if you plan on releasing it back into the wild. A racoon does everything with its hands, even identify food. If you were to trap it in a live cage, I assure you that it will try to get out, tearing up its hands in the process. With mangled paws, it will not be able to find food. Since you said that you did not want to hurt it to begin with, I thought you should be made aware of this.

Racoons are predominately nocturnal by nature. Very seldom will you see them in the day time. If this one is trying to get into your garage, it may be trying to find shelter to have its young. You said it was a he, but I really doubt you got down there and looked. Then again, it could just be a curious animal. If there is a hole somewhere, they want to see what is in it. That's how they forrage for food. The one we had wanted to get into everything. She would steal eggs out of the refrigerator when we opened the door to get a soda.

The main reason it would be interested in your garbage cans is to search for food. I'm fairly sure that if you kept a brick on the lid and made another source of food available, it will never even notice your trash. Instead of chasing it off, why not try to let it cohabitate with you. Of course, this really depends on where you live. If it's in the country, what is the harm in having a visitor come see you every once and a while. My advice would be to put some popcorn in the far corner of your yard. Dog food works just as well. They will eat just about anything. The in-law uses a PVC pipe covered with a 5-gallon bucket. The feeder needs to be some place where they can easily run and hide. More than likely, it will remain close to this source of food and stay out of your garage.

Judy has since passed away and it really broke my father-in-laws heart. He has taken up a sort of racoon rescue and actually imports them from around town to a place of his out in the country. He probably has close to 20 'coons now (none of which will sleep in the bed) and can't be happier.

If you are serious about getting rid of yours, I would suggest a large fishing net. You will have to stand guard and try to catch the little trespasser next time you see them, but it will not hurt them like the live-trap would. Regardless of how you catch them, they will be very upset at you. They sound horrible, but the majority of the noise is just a scare tactic. It will bite or scratch you if cornered. Otherwise, it will just run and hide. Have you thought about what you will do with it once you catch it?

Honestly, racoons are pretty neat to just sit and watch. If one ever decided to visit my place, I would welcome the company.

-nos

17. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

You've clearly never seen The Great Outdoors.

18. Nos2

Nos2 IncGamers Member

I doubt that the racoon has either. With an accessable food source, it has no need to knock over trash cans. You shouldn't believe everything you see in the movies, DC.

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Oh I know. I also know a fair bit about raccoons. They're persistent buggers.

At any rate, putting out a food source for it is a great way to attract more of em. If the point is to discourage it from camping out on his property and disrupting things, something like cayenne pepper isn't going to do any more than make the thing uncomfortable enough to not want to come back.

20. skihard

skihard Banned

A suggestion for you…..get a can of WD-40 and spray the door opening with it. Many animals will NOT cross a path of WD-40 because of the very strong non natural petroleum base in the product. If you spray it along the ground of the main garage door you will need to reapply about once a week or after it rains. Do this until the critter no longer returns it will most likely not come back as it has found another area to pilfer.

This also works to keep ants, and field mice out of the house, just spray at the suspected point of entry.