Introduction post for HC-only trader

VCrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Introduction post for HC-only trader

Hello,

At the insistance of the Single Player Trader forum, I am respectfully introducing myself to the single player community. I am impressed to note that this board had the highest number of viewers when I entered it: 66 compared to an average of about 20 on the other boards. I've also been generally impressed by the quality of the posters here on the occasions that I've lurked on this forum.

I play hardcore-only in single player as a level 81 necromancer. My build has 20 Raise Skeleton, 20 Skeleton Mastery, one point each in Clay Golem, Golem Mastery, and Summon Resist; 20 Poison Nova and Poison Explosion and prerequisites; and one point each into Amplify Damage, Decrepify, and Terror (and Weaken of course). I am maxing Poison Dagger as my last skill and this should take me to exactly level 99 to finish it. I've done all quests up to Act 5/Hell Anya for the resist scroll, and now I am running the Countess for runes and I will probably run the Pits until I get enough +skill equipment to prebuff my skeletons enough to run the Worldstone Keep and Baal easily. Yes, I know I'm not the most efficient character build but I enjoy playing this type of class and I am fairly safe from dying.

I do have a couple of questions I was hoping could be answered if any of you have a few minutes to humor me. First, what does the Red Rune Mod (RRM) do exactly? I am guessing that it makes the name of dropped runes turn red, like a rare is yellow? Is this what it does, and is it all that it does? Second, is there a significant and active hardcore single player community in addition to the primary softcore community that I see on these pages, or are we a rare breed (especially in Hell difficulty)?

Thanks for your time and for your hospitality.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
While I dont use it, I can tell you that all RRM does is turn runes text to red like rares are gold and sets are green. I can't help you with the HC question, but I'm sure someone else can.

Welcome to the SPF!

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
Skoolbus hit the nail on the head regarding RRM, as for the hardcore community, there are a number of people out there who play hardcore, Myself, I play hardcore and softcore, as I'm sure a number of others do too.

Welcome to the SPF!

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
<---- is HC only! Though I don't trade at the moment, mostly out of laziness though.

Welcome to the SPF! For god sakes, put these shin guards on!

*phew*

we are greatly out numbered by the SC'ers, but I think there are more HC'ers here then you might think, I don't want to name any for fear of getting them wrong/missing someone, but I'm sure most of them will stop in and say hello when the notice your thread.

Nice necro btw.

Oh, and most of the tournaments use HC characters, so sign up for one of them if you're looking something to do or a challenge. I recommend the Glass Cannon Tournament.

-hps

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
There a several HC only players, and quite a few people who play at least some HC. The real issue is that there aren't very many HC players that trade or MP. We do get threads here every once in a while just like this one with HC players asking if there is HC trading, so there may be a couple of people out there. :smiley:

You may want to get a feeling for what mods the other HC players are using who might want to trade before you decide to use RRM. It's quite possible that while RRM/RWM is dominant for SC, it may be different for the HC people.

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
*Raises hand*

HC & SC player here. The problem being that my HC characters I prefer to keep untwinked.

Welcome to the forum anyway. Have a glance over the stickies (and the trade forum ones too I guess), then head to the bar for some d2 relief. Within a week you won't be able to speak/type English anymore but merely a garbled semi-recognisable spf-talk that only we can understand. Happened to me at least.

Diabloii.Net Member
All my characters from v1.10 release so far have been hc :)

And if you took a look at some tournaments , most of them are hardcore too . I'd join one myself but right now all of them are quite old.

P.s nice build you've got there , pretty safe and with some killing power. + it isnt the standart fishymancer :)

roninDOG

Diabloii.Net Member
Im mostly HC and I do trade HC, cept for my septivirate characters who go untwinked. Glad to see another one of us in the forums. BTW, I think most people use the RRM and RWM whether SC or HC, I know I do.

-roninDOG

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey, welcome to the SPF, I also play HC only, I trade very little though and stay self-found, most of my HC trades are very one-sided and I tend to only trade stuff which I don't need for Pgems to help people out.

Looking at your ISO I can't help you much as I'm still looking to find some of those items myself! Good luck anyway :smiley:

Milb

Cambylobacter

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to the forum mate!

I've actually practically never played Hardcore in Single Player, though I suppose I should try it. I think I tried it once, and my character died and I somehow expected some sort of high score table or memorandum of my character's achievements, and on not getting anything, decided just to stick to softcore.

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome! here's your goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant. Don't mind the shin kickers when they come, they mean well.

Do read the SPF FAQs and dont' forget to stop by and say hi over here every now and then. As for the intro, the idea is that we get to know YOU, which rally works best when you tell us more about you. Things like: general geographic location, what do you do when not beating your head against the wall from deeds... err playing D2, favortie cookie, ardvarks or anteaters, why HC?, etc. etc. Getting to know you helps us trust you to not corrupt our entire charater and stash set when trading, and besides, it's just nice to know who you're talking to.

VCrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome! here's your goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant. Don't mind the shin kickers when they come, they mean well.

Do read the SPF FAQs and dont' forget to stop by and say hi over here every now and then. As for the intro, the idea is that we get to know YOU, which rally works best when you tell us more about you. Things like: general geographic location, what do you do when not beating your head against the wall from deeds... err playing D2, favortie cookie, ardvarks or anteaters, why HC?, etc. etc. Getting to know you helps us trust you to not corrupt our entire charater and stash set when trading, and besides, it's just nice to know who you're talking to.
I live in San Diego. In my free time, I'm either on the computer, reading, or out in town.

Hardcore creates a stronger sense of achievement than softcore. That's important for me because it makes the limited time that I spend playing Diablo II more meaningful. A level 82 character in softcore doesn't mean anything, and my items wouldn't even be worth mentioning, however in hardcore my character is much more significant. I don't have the inclination to compete in leveling or item-finding in softcore because the standards there are much higher and doing these things requires extremely specialized character builds. I'm not interested in playing those builds. I'm also attracted to the challenge of playing my character under much more exacting and slightly more stressful conditions.

I don't see the deeds screen too often. I've actually only had one character die since I started playing again, and it was a low level character that I wasn't attached to. My reaction was, "oh ****, oops. Hm, so much for THAT." I had played for some time several years ago so I already had a store of knowledge and experience to guide me.