Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Introduction and question about maxblock.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by winmar, Sep 28, 2006.

1. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

Introduction and question about maxblock.

Hello everyone.

I've just switched from b.net to SP. Since i only play HC i was forced to solo almost the entire game on b.net because of TPPK. So i thought i was better of playing SP instead because you can use /players8 and you avoid all the hassle with mules with ATMA.

Also, the economy on b.net is ruined with all the rune-dupes but it seems like the SP-community is alot better from what i've read on the forums when it comes to this issue.

I use RRM/RWM.

I've started 3 chars so far and they are:

Destroyer Akragas, Lvl 71 Wind Druid, Act5 NM, Untwinked
    Destroyer Pyrrhon, Lvl 51 Frost Zealot, Act 1 NM, Untwinked
    Destoyer Epikuros, Lvl 52 Fishymancher, Act1 NM, Untwinked

My personal goal right now is to get atelast one char of each class to atleast lvl 85. And hopefully to Guardian aswell.

My Wind Druid have 130 unspent stat-points and i recently found Whitstans Guard. But im not sure if i should go with max block or not.

The thing is that i will use a maxed Oak Sage wich means i will get alot of life for every point spent in vitality. I will also loose alot of resists if i choose to use Whitstans Guard. I will only get +19 res with a pdiamond but if i use The Ward i will get 60 res if i socket it with a pdiamond.

So basicly, is it worth it to get 75% block if i have to sacrifice +41 res and ~150-160 points in vitaly? Right now i got ~1600 life with oaksage at level 16 (+5 skills).

I hope some expert can do some number-crunching or just give me some good advice since i really dont have a clue what to do.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

Welcome, winmar! Can't help you with the max block question, but someone should be able to.

Jude

3. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

I'm not much of a druid fan so I may not be too sure, but don't druids have a crappy block rate? I've always understood it to not worry with blocking with druids... just find a big hurty stick or something...

4. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

They do have crappy block rate. And since i play untwinked my first thought was to put all points in vitality to get huge amount of life with oak sage.

But then i found Whitstans Guard which gives the highest amount och block you can find on a shield. On a druid it is 75% (pally is 87%). This means i "only" need to have 185 dex at level 85 to achieve max block.

Still havn't made up my mind though, i will wait until i get some opinions in this thread.

5. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Go for max block. Windy's spells are short range so you spend alot of time close to monsters. And 1.6k life is more than enough.

Wind druids don't use big hurty sticks, they stand next to monsters and spam tornados :tongue:

EDIT: I'm stupid, I forgot to say: welcome to SPF! :wave:

6. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

While I am more of a vita guy usually, I agree with nex. You are a caster standing practically in the monster's faces spamming spells at them. I am sure you get hit fairly often, even if it's just one blow before you run or the monster dies. I'd get that block maxed out - as you say, it doesnt take an awful lot of DEX and you still have plenty of life with OS.

7. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

I know this. So why not use something like Spirit instead?

8. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with max block. I've also decided to not max Oak Sage since right now i have alot of protection (alot of life, max block, 1k+ Cyclon Armor). I will put the remaining points into Twister instead to get more damage (this will also add some damage absorbation to my cyclone armor).

I've never played a Wind Druid before but this build is really, really solid. You get the best of everything! Good damage, almost no monster immunes and godly protection.

I have been quite lucky with the drops though. Right now my gear is:

Spirit Sword (34% FCR)
    Skin of the Vipermagi (Normal Baal drop)
    Circlet +1 Skills, +30life, 10% FRW
    Whitstans Guard
    Eye of Etlich amu (will change this once i find/gamble +3 elemental skills)
    War Travelers 48% (Nightmare Baal drop, extremely nice drop!)
    Ring 11 res all, 27 life, 9str
    Belt +65 life
    Magefist

Not bad for utwinked play :)

9. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

this is great for me because winmar like you i am only doing HC Untwinked characters if you want to read my thread here it is. Maybe i can get some advice of you and stuff because i am new to HC and going Untwinked kinda changes alot so maybe we can talk.

10. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Hey winmar! Welcome. Another HC'er gone SP'er. I remember you, you're the one who started the Daggermancer thread. He was a lot of fun to play.

I would go max block.

As far as windy druids go though. I donno how you guys can stand to play them. I quit playing mine around level 65 because I got so sick and tired of standing there spamming tornadoes and watching them randomly go up to the monster, circle around the monster without touching him, and then disapearing.

-hps

11. wangnala

wangnala IncGamers Member

When (if) you find a Guardian's Angel exceptional unique armor, this also gives you much better blocking...

How about an "upped" Normal Unique Twitchthroe for better blocking?

(I wish it's +1 All Skills, not the +1 Pally skills, but that's another topic altogether...)

12. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Hello Hp_Sauce, i remember you aswell. And yes, that Daggermancer was really fun to play. I might try one later in SP aswell.

druidkid9: Just send me a PM if you want to talk. I know alot about Trappers and i also have a LF/Strafe hybrid but i would recommend a LF/FA instead. Im going to build one myself soon. What chars have you started?

A daggermancer is alot of fun, you can do him untwinked but there are a few items that boost him alot. Like Blackbog, Trang Gloves and Shield.

I played him solo until level 75, not extremely safe but more fun then a fishy/skellie-mancer. You should try one.

edit:

I don't believe this, i just found a Guardian Angel from Lister in NM... This druid is extremely lucky. War Travelers, Guardian Angel and Vipermagi. And i havnt even entered Hell yet...

13. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

well i just started a HC Untwinked LF/Fa fishy zon who is now level 26 and about to take on Normal Duriel. Her damage sucks but my merc got a great rare weapon which does amp damage which owns nicely. hopefully i get some nice gear on the way or i may have to do some meph runs :(

14. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

*kick winmar shin for untiwked HC play*
    gib me your cookies, now!!!!
    /varnish

15. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Welcome! here's your goodie basket of baked goodnes and squid repelant. Don't mind the shin kickers, they mean well, DO read the SPF FAQs and stop on by the EMB some time.

16. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Hmm.. another Nightfish-will-be...
    Welcome winmar! Have fun in this forum and wow, 3 guardians-to-be! Good luck!