Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Introduction and a Question

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Elzil, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Elzil

Elzil Diabloii.Net Member

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well.

So, I had a bunch of characters on D2 in the past a lot of Paladins and most memorably a 90 something poison necro that I geared up and I was quite impressed by the poison damage, but this was awhile ago.

Currently playing a lvl 77 Paladin on the US East Ladder (if my avatar didn't give it away). Like being a noob again and still in the hunt for GG items. This is the first time I can say I'm really serious about building a character and doing a lot of research on different items and runewords before hand, plus all of the experience I have had in the past. It was nothing like this however and on 1 character I even bought some GG items to take the easy way up before, but like I said this was awhile ago.

I had ran through Diablo 1 on single player mode to get pumped up and started playing fresh when the new Ladder started and I might play Diablo 3 to follow the storyline, ive heard some good and bad things about D3, but I think ill give it a shot.

My question is this, I have a 4os Great hauberk (466 defense) and a 1os Ogre axe (145 damage) (thinking about getting Larzuk to socket this axe). Should I wait for better items to build Fort and Obedience ? I'm still looking for a Lo rune, so chances are I might get better before I find one for the armor, lol, if I ever find one. Lets say I was ready now, should I wait for better ? is it worth it to socket these items ? They are both listed as elite body armor and polearm, but I understand that they are obviously not the best in the game https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Body_Armor and https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Polearms/.

Peace out

P.S I should add that I started playing D2 in class, shortly after it was released, I downloaded the act 1 demo from download.com, installed it on the school computer and really milked whatever Xp I could from one act, and I was hooked on the game instantly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Hi and welcome!

It is far more easier to run a sorc first on ladder and find some items for use/trade

You best best for finding Lo alone with the paladin is travincal and lower kurast (popping all those chests, but do that in games with 5 or more players to increase drops, travincal run them in solo games)

Larzuk can not give socket to the Ogre axe since it already have a socket.

The Hauberk will do just fine, block is more important than extremely high defence. I though the hauberk was already socketed too?

There are however cube recipies for giving sockets to normal items:

1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon of same type
    1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type
    1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal Helm
    = Socketed Helm of same type
    1 Tal Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Ruby + Normal Shield =
    Socketed Shield of same type

The number of sockets will be even chance of 1-6. But since an elite armor can only have 4 sockets, that means that if the game rolls 5 or 6 sockets, you'll get 4. That means that there is a 50% chance of getting 4 sockets on an elite armor with that recipie.

Same for Ogre axe, it can have 3 sockets as max. So the chance of getting 3 sockets is 4/6 = 67%

Elzil likes this.
  3. Elzil

Thanks for the tip, yeah the hauberk is already socketed, so I just need to find that Lo rune, I don't mind farming Kurast and Trav so, I just need luck on my side. Guess ill be searching for a new pole then because it already has one socket, yep.

4. drmalawi

there are plenty of weapon and armor racks in LK too, always pop those aswell :)

Other decent areas to start MF ing with a zealer is Eldritch/Shenk (act 5 first waypoint) and Pindleskin (red portal next to Anya).
    A level 85 area that is easy (easiest) to access w/o teleport is River of Flame. You start from the City of damned waypoint and just go over everything :) River of flame is a bit easier than Chaos Sanctuary too

Elzil likes this.
  5. drmalawi

Here is me doing 1000 Travincal runs (in single player and high player settings though)

Elzil likes this.
  6. Elzil

oh awesome :)

7. Elzil

yeah so far ive been playing from lvl 1-77 on 8 players setting from the create game page.

8. drmalawi

What gear and skills you've got now? What kinda merc and gear on he/she?

9. Elzil

Dont really have any good gear, most of it was made really early on. Did however work on my resists 1st for hell mode so I've got 75 + resist all except for poison just like the zealer in your video, but i use a shield:p. Most notably im using a lore helm and a low defense lionheart armor that I made.
    My Merc is using a Naj circlet and Hwanins polearm, which I thought were really nice when I got them, but that was at a much earlier level.

For skills I've got 1 in smite 20 zeal 20 holy shield 20 fanaticism and almost 20 in sacrifice. For the rest I'm considering defiance or resists but will probably go with the resists especially because the Merc is an act 2 defensive Merc.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. drmalawi

dream helm?! Io Jah Pul? NIICE How did you get that Jah rune dude?

You could go for a Tesladin, since you get the Holy Shock aura for free from the Dream helm, you can go with 5 Zeal, 20 Conviction (take it up to lvl 25 for maxing out the negative to enemy light res), 20 Resist Lightning (synergy to holy shock), 10-20 Holy shield and the rest into whatever you like: sacrifice for more physical dmg via zeal synergy, redemption for quick life mana recovery, vigor for running crazy fast, salvation for even more lightning dmg

Get a defensive act 2 merc from nightmare to get the holy freeze aura, or the offensive act 2 merc also from nightmare to get might aura (more physical dmg)

11. Elzil

Ah forgive me its almost 4am and I must be thinking about sleep. Dream helm I meant lore lol.

drmalawi likes this.