Introducing...

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member
Introducing...

Me! After lurking for a bit, it's time to make things official. Here goes...

My name is Patrick, but I answer to Pat or whatever nickname I'm given. :thumbup: I'm 19 and sharing a condo with three friends in Richmond, VA. I have two dogs (Timber, a Keeshond and Sandy, a hound mix), and one cat (Midnight, the black cat of DOOM...and stuff), but they live with my Mom since pets aren't allowed in our place. I'm single but not happy about it.

I'm a longtime gamer. Single-player aside, my first game was Ultima Online, and I've played EverQuest, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Eve Online, Asheron's Call II, Lord of the Rings Online, Lineage II, Final Fantasy XI, WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes/Villains, Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest II and Diablo. I've played single-player Diablo II for over 5 years. I tried Battle.net but couldn't stand it, though I have played LAN and Hamachi games with friends. Though I already made use of RWM/RRM (I found them through Google, after exhaustive searching), I wasn't aware of this forum until a new friend mentioned it. I'm really excited about a community built around other SP enthusiasts - I wish I'd found you folks sooner!

I'm the hippie nerd among my friends - I meditate, chant and am proud to say I've lived in a commune. People have also accused me of being a robot, but RevealIdentity=0...I mean...I'm not a robot, okay?! What, 3 hours of sleep a night isn't enough for you? :crazyeyes:

I love football (Go Steelers!), cooking and a good book. Music is my fuel, my love and my shield - I never go anywhere without it. Cheesy as this sounds, I also really LOVE helping people. I've been through a lot in just 19 years, but I wouldn't change anything. Currently I'm working at a local grocery and taking a few college classes while trying to decide which direction to steer my life. Aside from towards the computer, I mean.

Because I worked so hard to get my items (and to avoid any complications) I'm going to continue to play self-found, though that may change in the future. I look forward to talking/gaming with you!

TychoBrahe

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Introducing...

Howdy, and welcome to the SPF! :wave: What characters do you have?

Beware the shinkickers. They mean well though. Have a look through the stickies, be nice to EU's, and drop by the EMB sometime for a drink.

Enjoy your stay.

~Dryst :)

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member

Howdy, and welcome to the SPF! :wave: What characters do you have?

Beware the shinkickers. They mean well though. Have a look through the stickies, be nice to EU's, and drop by the EMB sometime for a drink.

Enjoy your stay.

~Dryst :)
Thanks! I read somewhere that the EMB is the local bar/relaxation thread, but what are EUs? Does that stand for something like Elite User?

As far as high levels go, I have an 89 Bowazon, 87 Frenzy Barb, 86 Meteorb MFer and 83 Poisonmancer. I can't really pick a favorite - they're all so much fun. I've been through quite a few computers since I began playing D2, and I've lost more characters than I care to think about. I'm famous for trying too many characters at once, so I decided this most recent time around to level fewer toons and equip them well. My next project will probably be a Paladin of some sort, though I have plenty of things to try.

Shinkickers? Eek! I have sensitive shins! *Equips Godly Shinguards of Ages* :smug:

Oblivious

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks! I read somewhere that the EMB is the local bar/relaxation thread, but what are EUs? Does that stand for something like Elite User?
Stands for Elite Uniques, and it means the girls on this forum. They are as rare as EU's in game. Welcome aboard, watch the squid and may all your drops be lime and green (that rimes)

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member

Stands for Elite Uniques, and it means the girls on this forum. They are as rare as EU's in game. Welcome aboard, watch the squid and may all your drops be lime and green (that rimes)
Thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely be nice to the ladies-they deserve more respect than they're usually given, both in-game and in real life. Weird as it may sound, I'm a bit of a feminist, even though I'm a guy. ~.~

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Weclome!

So why name yourself after tycho brahe? Anything you want to tell us about your nose?

I don't do shinkicking btw, I do leapattacking. :p But it's all meant in a warm welcoming way! HAve fun here. I stumbled on this place myself a year ago I think, and I still really like it. 3 hours of sleep a day is doable, if you train your body enough. You probably use your mediation/trance like state as another way to rest your body I'm sure.

Helping people? Sounds noble! In what way?

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome!

So why name yourself after tycho brahe? Anything you want to tell us about your nose?
Hehe, I'm not missing any parts of my nose. I have lost a few teeth in fights, though I'm not proud of it. I chose the name because frankly, I really like it, and I admire his persistence. I've always loved science, but I don't have the willpower to stick through redundant testing.
3 hours of sleep a day is doable, if you train your body enough. You probably use your mediation/trance like state as another way to rest your body I'm sure.
You're absolutely right. When I was younger it worried my parents, and they took me to several doctors. The meditation does indeed condition my body and remove the need for much sleep.
Helping people? Sounds noble! In what way?
Any way I can, really. Buying meals for the homeless, stopping to help someone whose car broke down, volunteering at my Dad's office (a non-profit dedicated to helping special-needs individuals, from those with mental disabilities to behavorial problems to those looking to escape abusive relationships).

More formally, I spend a great deal of my time volunteering with To Write Love On Her Arms, an organization dedicated to raising awareness about depression, suicide, addiction and self-injury amongst teenagers. I'm on their street team and provide support to anyone who needs it. I hope to be a therapist or counselor one day, as due to liability issues I can't currently provide the level of advice I would like.
I don't do shinkicking btw, I do leapattacking. :p But it's all meant in a warm welcoming way! Have fun here. I stumbled on this place myself a year ago I think, and I still really like it.
Many thanks! I'm already enjoying myself. :)

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member

Weclome!

Darn, why do yo always have to steal the (=my) punch line? :wink:

Anyways, welcome on board, Tycho!
Your friend was right to bring you here - it's a great community and can bring you SP gaming experience to a whole new level - just check out the tournaments! Oh, and try the self-found perfect grail, too :thumbsup:

Well, enjoy your stay, have a drink at the bar on Durf and make yourself comfortable. And expect your shinguards to be destroyed by the shinkicking...rather make some money out of them at Charsi's :wink:

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds excellent! I couldn't help someone with car problems if they begged me for it. I'm glad I can tell the difference between en engine and an exhaust pipe. It sounds like your father does excellent work, a big thumbs up to him! As for people trying to escape abusive relationships, any men among them? (curiosity compels me to ask...)

I could have used someone like you when I was growing up. I spend pretty much most of my adolescent and adult years being depressed. It's like meditation though... eventually, you get used to it. My philosophy... If it doesn't kill you, it'll only make you stronger.

As far as mr. Brahe is concerned, he always struck me as a man who mixed up science with fiction, and had a bloody good time doing so. Rumors have it he died because he drank to much and his bladder burst. It's said to be a painful death, but man, if you've gotta pay the piper, at least Tycho can say he did it with style!

The only man who I admire more on that part is Attilla the hun, who was so drunk he failed to notice his nosebleed and he died from that... Sounds painless too.

But perhaps I should not make one post and mentioning depression along with cool ways to die... might give the wrong message... :p

EDIT: @Grisu :p First come, first serve my lad... Did ya watch Germany trounce Portugal on Thursday? For me, it's the best match of the soccer championship so far...

@Tycho - I visited the web site for a bit, sounds like a good cause!

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member

@Merlin: I've struggled with Bipolar Disorder my whole life, and have had rough times both internally and externally. Now I have perspective and am trying to do my part. I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with depression, but from what I can tell, you turned out alright. :thumbup:

@Grisu: Those tournaments look mighty appetizing. Thanks for the heads-up!

@All: I'm off to grab some rest. I'm helping a friend paint his new house today, so I need my forty winks. Take care!

Zefimas

Diabloii.Net Member

Hello there, welcome aboard:smug:
Hope you make some good friends here and have a good time,
but I'm sure you will!
If you need help with something, just ask and I'll see what I can do:wink:
Btw, these forums can be even more addictive than the game itself:whistling:

Cheers and good luck painting

Swiller

Diabloii.Net Member

Is your keeshond a mouthy little annoyance? My mother-in-law has one and she's obnoxious.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member

Is your keeshond a mouthy little annoyance? My mother-in-law has one and she's obnoxious.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.
He's actually perfect. He doesn't jump on you, only barks outside, is very gentle with his mouth and gets along wonderfully with other pets. He's a very mellow, awesome dog. :yes:

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member

Fist of all..

*kicks Tychos shins*

You slackers. It is already page two.

Welcome to the forum. You sound like a really nice guy, and it is good to see an intro post that actually tells something about a person instead of going "Hi, I play D2".

You said you where into music, what kinds?

As far as mr. Brahe is concerned, he always struck me as a man who mixed up science with fiction, and had a bloody good time doing so. Rumors have it he died because he drank to much and his bladder burst. It's said to be a painful death, but man, if you've gotta pay the piper, at least Tycho can say he did it with style!
[Nerd]On Tycho.

Well, first of all, he did not mix science with fiction. Astrology and alchemy was as much sciences as astronomy was, so Tychos function as court alchemist was pretty important. Next, alchemy was not driven by the search for transmutation of lead into gold. It was a general research into transmutations, giving valuable knowledge about nature.

Tycho's greatest contribution to science was not only his individual contributions, but the establishing of a research station. On his island (a grant from the danish king), he had a team of observers and mathematicians creating a new stellar map from scratch, discarding the maps that basically was build on the maps of the ancient period. The increase in accuracy was enormous, and it was one of the first instances in history where scientist worked together.

His own worldview was consistent with his observations, but lacked a physical foundation (as did the heliocentric theory). Tycho believed Earth to be the center of the universe. The Sun and the Moon went around the Earth, but the planets went around the Sun. That view never got broad acceptance, and the shape of the orbit was only resolved after his death, by his pupil Kepler.

Tycho did not die from his bladder busting. That is anatomically impossible, as the urine discharges before it can happen. The most probable cause of his death is slow poisoning by the substances he worked with as an alchemist.
[/nerd]

Last edited:

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member

EDIT: @Grisu :p First come, first serve my lad... Did ya watch Germany trounce Portugal on Thursday? For me, it's the best match of the soccer championship so far...
Yeah, I've watched it, and it really was a great game...I never would have guessed that Germany stood a chance. But, oh well, now it's Turkey vs. Germany on Wednesday, and no matter what's the outcome - there will be riots in the streets, I guess...:banghead:

Fist of all..

*kicks Tychos shins*

You slackers. It is already page two.
I'll not engage in harming people.

At least not until I have my licence to practice medicine and may do so officially:crazyeyes:

[Nerd]On Tycho.

Tycho did not die from his bladder busting. That is anatomically impossible, as the urine discharges before it can happen. The most probable cause of his death is slow poisoning by the substances he worked with as an alchemist.
[/nerd]
Well, but what if he had a BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia - I don't know how common that term is in English...it's an enlargement of the prostate) and resulting from it a urinary retention? I don't know how likely it is for the bladder to rupture without an adequate trauma in such a case...I guess rather unlikely. The more likely consequence would have been renal failure and uremia, which may have resulted in his death.
However, back when Brahe died, they already knew how to catheterize a patient with urinary retention...why shouldn't they have done it with Tycho?

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

As the story has it, he had forgotten to relieve his bladder before dinner, and in high society those days it was considered impolite to excuse ytourself to go to the toilet. So the story goes that he ruptured his bladder quite early in the meal, and in spite of the pain, kept on drinking. Ah well, I mentioned it was a rumor right?

IIRC, the peasants working on his land weren't too pleased with him, as he managed to squeeze them for every penny they had... and then some. But htat, too, was fairly common those days.
And wouldn't the scholars at Pyhtagoras school of mathematics actually be the first instance of a collective scientific endeavour? I always believed it to be so.
I'm well aware of the 'scientific' value of alchemy. It's safe to say that it was the predecessor of all chemistry. When I mention adventurous, I refer more to his rather brass and impetuous way of dealing with any situation and problem he encountered. He must have been a blast to be around, I'm sure. Seriously. At least much more so then Keppler...

I have no idea how he died, 2bh. I know that the bladder bursting is a fable, but where would it have come from? Who would make it up? IIRC, the man was reknowned for his capacity for drink. Perhaps he had complained in the days before his death of increasing stomach pains?
Uremia - Isn't that when the urine retains too much ureum (or too concentrated a form thereof?) You doctors make my head spin... and my stomach as well...

As far as the soccer goes, sigh, once again, the netherlands disgrace themselves in the quarterfinals. It's the story of our soccer lives. Well, I'm sure the germans will trounce Turkey, certainly if they show the same playing style as they did against portugal.

However, my money is on Russia. They are 120% motivated, have great stamina and play an aggressuve, attractive game...

Skinhead On The MBTA

Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the Forum! Hope you have fun!

@Merlin: What's Soccer? There's a big football tournament going on at the moment. :wink:

My money's on Spain. Not only because they're the best team out there, but they have four Liverpool players in the squad. I agree that the Germans should take care of the Turks, but I think that the Spanish will have too much for both the Italians, (who have a very aging defence that won't be able to handle the pace and ability of Silva, Torres and Villa) and the Russians - They got past the Dutch because their manager knows everything there is to know about you, whereas I doubt that Hiddink, as much of a footballing brain as he is, won't be able to predict what the Spanish attack are going to do next.

TychoBrahe

Diabloii.Net Member

@kanon: Thanks for the welcome! I always try to give a good chunk of info when I I introduce myself to a new community. It usually makes the transition much easier. Musically, I'm into everything from hip-hop to orchestral; groups you've heard of and people you haven't. I don't believe in classifying art, so if it sounds good, I'll listen to it.

@Skinhead: Thanks! I'm already enjoying myself.

@All: Tycho's greatest achievement was not his endeavors but the methods he utilized when undertaking them. His exhaustive usage of multiple trials, along with his extensive logs, represented a new level of analytic and interpretive accuracy. Though now proven false, his justifications were at the time infallible because of his rigorous experimental processes. He was also a fairly notorious partygoer. Work hard, play hard. :smug: Also, kanonfutter only claimed Tycho's cooperative to be one of the first.

Both kanon and Merlin are correct, albeit in different ways. :thumbup:

Soyweiser

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi Tycho,

Glad to not be the newest member anymore ;).

And thanks for the little history lesson on Tycho Brahe. I didn't really knew anything about the guy (I know more about Kepler). Who ever said you can't learn anything from computer games? :)

witchesbrew

Diabloii.Net Member

He's actually perfect. He doesn't jump on you, only barks outside, is very gentle with his mouth and gets along wonderfully with other pets. He's a very mellow, awesome dog. :yes:

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!
Regarding Swiller's comment, our Keeshond, I'm his wife by the way, is very sweet. We've always had Kees and she is a bit mouthy but my mother in legally deaf so we allow for the dogs to bark at noises for her to be able to hear. Other than that, they are amazing dogs.