Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Introducing Patriarch Karsa a 1.13 full Immortal Kings WW barbarian

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tomhyde, Oct 13, 2010.

1. tomhyde

tomhyde Diabloii.Net Member

Introducing Patriarch Karsa a 1.13 full Immortal Kings WW barbarian

So this is my first character of the 1.13 patch and my first ever barbarian.

The name came from Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's an excellent read. I highly recommend it. Karsa is a giant Toblaki warrior who wields both a massive flint sword and a sence of humour with equal skill and vigor.

Name: Karsa
    Class: Barbarian
    Build: Full Immortal Kings Whirl Wind
    Level: 82

The Stats:

Strength: 232
    Dexterity: 76
    Vitality: 288
    Energy: 20

Life: 1523 / 3243
    Mana: 171 / 364
    Resists: 75,75,73,75
    Defence: 13310

The gear:

Full Immortal Kings set
    Highlords Wrath
    2 Ravenfrosts
    A couple of AR charms but nothing more.

The skills:

Max WW
    Max Battle Orders
    Max Shout
    Max Mace Mastery
    1 Berserk
    4 Iron Skin (rest are going in here)
    1 Natural Resistance
    1 all pre-requisits

The moron:

Act 2 Nighmare Offensive
    Tal Rasha fugly helm
    Leviathan
    Reaper's Toll

Gameplay Overview:

Playing an untwinked Barbarian to 76 is possibly the most boring, frustrating and unenjoyable experience I've ever put myself through in this game. More than once I nrealy gave up. I kept myself going knowing it would get better once I hit 76. Sure enough I hit 76 and the world was transformed. He went from being a pure tedium and pain to an unstoppable wreching machine. I confess there were deaths. Actually a far few deaths and many of them were avoidable. I have a real tendancy to just WW straigh into a pack without looking at any mods they might be carrying. As a result there was more than 1 death to a mana burn pack when I found myself stranded in the middle of them all. Other deaths were me just being plain stupid or not playing well. Luckily all the deaths occured in Normal and Nightmare where the penalties for death are an inconvience than anything else.

I found the games difficulty curve to be in reverse for Karsa. Normal was significantly harder than Nightmare and Hell was a walk over.

As an added bonus the moron hardly died at all. Twice as I recall in Hell. Having a moron with 25% life leech and over 3k health really helps matters.

The finds:

There were no good finds to speak of with the exception of a Pul rune from the hell Hell Forge. He did find a nice 4OS polearm which I crafted into a lvl 17 meditation aura Insight for my Sorceress who I plan on re-making one day.

Other Thoughts
    :

I was a little concerned having read reports that IK barbs have issues with attack rating. To my plesent suprise I had no major issues hitting anything with all the end game act bosses dying in sub 15 seconds except Baal who took a bit more pursuation.

Closing Note:

It might not be the fastest killer out there but if you keep it to /player1 through Hell he is pretty much immune to death.

I really can't think of a better first barbarian build assuming you have the gear to twink him up to 76 or are more skilled and/or patient than I am. If you have the set or have the wealth to trade for the chest piece then I can't recommend you make one and take it for a whirl yourself (pun intended)

Lastly I'd like to thank Cold439 for making such a great guide.

Thanks for reading.

Tom

PS: I did actually fraps his Baal Hell kill. I'll upload it later after I've encoded it.

2. Swiller

Swiller Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Introducing Patriarch Karsa a 1.13 full Immortal Kings WW barbarian

Job well done! I have also played one of these, and I agree that they a pretty strong.

What did you put into the sockets? And do you plan to MF with him?

3. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas Diabloii.Net Member

So what was your final ar? Have made one myself and I liked him , haven't touched him in ages though.

4. tomhyde

tomhyde Diabloii.Net Member

@Swiller: I found a 13%ED jewel in my travels which I threw in the helm. I have the runes and what-nots needed to remove it should i be lucky enough to find 2x 5ED jewels but I doubt it. I've only ever seen 1 and I gave it to my amazon. It has 1 free socket left. If I find something fun I'll throw it in there.

I don't have any real plans for him. I've had the complete set for over a year and just never did anything with it and felt it was time to put it to use. I plan to re-make my full Tal Rasha Sorceress (I have a thing for builds based around sets) at some point who I will MF with now I have a really nice Insight. I do however have a crazy good Mephisto map so I'll probably farm him for a while and see if any goodies turn up. Literally the stairs to level 3 of the Durance is next door to the waypoint. It takes sub 15 seconds to reach Mephisto.

@Tanksaabas: Final AR was 6763. I jumped to around the 8k mark when the enchant procced but that was rare. Its not earth shattering and I'd probably go as far to say poor and would struggle in anything much over /P3 or 4 but on /P1 he gets the job doe okay. A demon Limb would work nicely as I hardly saw the enchant proc from me being hit at all. Sadly I appear to have lost mine but having seen what I've seen I don't think its essential to the build.

I edited the movie. I'll upload tomorrow.

Tom

5. Swamigoon

Swamigoon Diabloii.Net Member

I enjoyed the IK toon I made on the battle.net realms a few years back. I still maintain the character. I was going to make the build you have outlined here, but unlike most players I discovered that I don't like the WW skill very much. Like yourself, I maxed BO, shout, and MM. After sinking ten points into WW I got so tired and frustrated with the skill that I diverted the other ten points into warcry instead. I used concentrate as his primary left click skill, and even with only one hard point, concentrate with the IK set proved to be extremely fun to play. I know most folks prefer area-of-effect attacks to one-monster-at-a-time attacks, but with the full IK set, to my surprise I learned to prefer the latter playstyle.

Now that we have a respec, I think I might divert the points I spent in WW back into concentrate and try a few more pit runs with him, just to see what might have been.

6. Greebo

Greebo Diabloii.Net Member

IK WW is one of the classics and was definitely enjoyable enough for me. I much preferred the RW+unique+etc setup though.

Well done, congratulations!
    --Greebo