Introducing: Despair Level 99 Necromancer (1.09)

Icebird

Diabloii.Net Member
Introducing: Despair Level 99 Necromancer (1.09)

At approximately 10.15 AM Pacific Time, in the company of Jbbto's werewolf Jacko, Despair the necromancer uttered the words "I feel much stronger now" for the final time.

Despair was built around TheDarkKhan's excellent guide to the 1.09 artillery necromancer. He had maxed Bone Spirit and Poison Nova, although at high players settings, both skills did very little damage - as I discovered every time I had to kill a PI cow. (Just imagine spamming bone spirits non-stop for a minute and half).

He was fun to play through the game, and probably completed more acts in MP games than any of my other characters. Necromancers are just generally way more fun to play in groups. He was a slow but fairly safe killer in most places in the game. but in the Cow Level his destructive capabilities increased exponentially.

He lived by the motto "Get other people to do your dirty work for you". His Thorns merc got most of the initial kills. The merc was backed up by a golem, whose role was to stand in the middle of a pack and take damage, and by an army of revives. Every my revives hit something, the enemy took damage. Every my revives got hit, the enemy took damage. Win-win situation all round. Once a few bodies were on the ground, and the rest of the mob was softened up, it was time to unleash a chain reaction of Corpse Explosions - one of the most entertaining spells in the game. Like javazons, he liked his mobs large. So while the minions were dealing with one herd, Despair would often go in search of more cows he could lure back to the front lines.

I put almost all of my points in energy. Necromancers don't have Warmth, and artillery necros are mana hogs. So I opted for a huge mana pool. Strength was initially 65 (for Silkweaves), later increased to 97 so he could wear Skullder's Ire.

Despair
Level 99 Necromancer

Skills:

Bone Spirit 20 (34)
Corpse Explosion 20 (34)
Poison Nova 20 (34)
Golem Mastery 20 (35)
Skeleton Mastery 4 (19)

All other skills: 1 point. Curses were level 15 after equipment.

Equipment:

Styx's Harlequin Crest (perfect topaz)
Skin of the Vipermagi (sometimes Skullder's Ire)
Despair's Blackhand Key
Despair's Homonculous
Frostburn
Gloom's Trap
Skilweaves
Mara's Kaleidoscope
The Stone of Jordan (x2)

3 Poison and Bone charms, 3 summoning charms.

Kasim the thorns merc wore a Vampire Gaze, Shaftstop and used a Amn-Amn-Amn Hone Sundan.

So that's 6 out 7 members of the Endless finished, with only Hern the druid to go.

Chris

Bugzy

Diabloii.Net Member
Let me be the first to say congratulations!

Go get the last one to 99 then you can relax and eat bonbons !

Reborn2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, another one... Impressive! :thumbsup:

I joined 2 of your games or something. Now that I know that you only have to do 250 runs, I might connect more often with my old 1.09 meteorb... :eek:)

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
Very Impressive, good work! :thumbsup:

How long did it take to hit level 99? And how comes it, you don't play 1.10? Just curios.

And again, well done.

Uhh cover your heads the 99:ers are raining down on us.

Impressive work there :clap:

Have been so inspired so I have installed patch 1.09 aswell, see if I can get some time and start playing with that patch again

DX

Reborn2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Kefir-Tribe said:
How long did it take to hit level 99? And how comes it, you don't play 1.10? Just curios.
I asked them, too and they told me that they had so much chars and items and stuff in 1.09, they didn't like a fresh start. They don't like the synergies and everything and their 1.09 builds wouldn't do well in 1.10...

There isn't perhaps a game tonight?

Gohanman

Diabloii.Net Member
Reborn, you might want to edit that URL from your post.

Great work Chris. 4 levels to go for you, the longest level twice over for Ryon. This thing's going to be really close.

Icebird

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually I play 1.10 as well. Have a bunch of characters there, but none over 92. Ryondaahl plays 1.09 exclusively.

Chris

DorianGrey

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a lvl89 concBarb in 1.10 thanks to Hal's guide. I found almost all the elite unique items, only a Frostwind champion axe missing. Still I don't have a lvl99 char, neither in 1.09. So congrats to anybody who has. :clap:

Ryondaahl

Diabloii.Net Member
Congratulations my honoured Adversary!

We'll make a nice spectacle out of the final stage of this race...

cheers,

Ryondaahl

grogs

Diabloii.Net Member
DorianGrey said:
I have a lvl89 concBarb in 1.10 thanks to Hal's guide. I found almost all the elite unique items, only a Frostwind champion axe missing. Still I don't have a lvl99 char, neither in 1.09. So congrats to anybody who has. :clap:
That may be a little difficult to find, as it was never included in the game code and doesn't exist.

-Grogs

EDIT: BTW, Congrats on the 99! Great Achievement :clap:

D2Addict

Diabloii.Net Member
Congratulations Icebird! :drink: Yeah Artillery Necros are a lot of fun. I heard 'underpowered' float around a lot for cows. It is pretty easy on any setting when you scatter cow parts a full screen radius! The mana does go quick though.

Ryondaahl - Now wait a minute! You have to think of some other insane quest. :)

TheNix

Diabloii.Net Member
Very well done! IIRC you've only got 1 more to get to 99 to complete you epic task. Magnificent seven? This will be the GODLY seven!