Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Intro Thread: Hello SPF, I'm h0p3

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by h0p3, Apr 16, 2018.

1. h0p3

h0p3 Diabloii.Net Member

Hi, I'm h0p3.

I've played video games since Atari, but Diablo 2 was the first game I ever became addicted to (Everquest immediately after it). I've never played with DClone, Ubers, or many of the new powerful runewords before because I stopped seriously playing the game a couple months after LOD came out. I'm pleased to see there is so much new gear and content to play with.

I also have no interest in playing online since it ruins the difficulty of the game for me. I'm a strong trader in every game with an economy I play, and playing the market instead of the game is the wildly better way for me to advance than actually playing. In the name of playing the game rather than the market, I'm going to play it solo exclusively. I refuse to connect with anyone. I want it to be up to me as much as possible. I want to earn it according my rules.

Disclaimer: I'm using a famous mod-that-shall-not-be-named, 1.13. <Snip by mod> I realize some users are hostile to this famous mod I use, and I apologize if I've offended your sensibilities. Believe me, I won't be infecting your game states by joining any game with you (and you won't be infecting the purity of mine either).

Despite my presumable heathen status, I hope to politely participate in discussions here. I believe we share a great deal in common in our playstyles.

My rules of play:
    • Excepting the mod and Wine (for Linux), I cannot use any third-party tools to modify the game in any way (no memory reading/editing, no modifying game files, etc.).
    • I cannot use automation of any kind.
    • I cannot use the network (no online trading, no multi-boxing, no help, etc.).
    • <Snip by mod>
    • I cannot modify my naked stats below the requirements to wear every piece of gear (calculated before I put my gear on).
    I maintain a wiki/blog for myself, including my D2 journaling and planning here: https://philosopher.life/#Diablo 2:[[Diablo 2]].

Here's the skinny:

I made an assassin to get to Nightmare Baal and farm for basic gear. I then twinked a sorc and farmed Hell Mephisto a couple thousand times (I collected most of the uniques/sets, etc.); these runs have been instrumental to my progress. I twinked all the other classes and brought them to Hell. <Snip by mod>, and my necro was the first to clear Baal.

I farmed countess for runes, and I'm starting to build some runewords I've never used before. I'm growing concerned that I don't have a prayer of getting the highest runes, but I did have a Jah drop for my necro in the Throne room last week (I believe it's worth more than the sum total of everything that has dropped for me so far). I would desperately love to find the last piece for Engima. It would change the game for me tremendously; I hope it will be completed some year.

Ultimately, gearing up the melee classes will be very difficult. I've been leveling and gambling (~150 million gold so far) in pursuit of rare jewelry that would round out my characters. I've not produced anything from crafting which matters, but I've had some decent gambles.

<Snip by mod>

So, I'm trying to build a Death Runeword (a very high end runeword for me at this point; HOTO is the highest I've achieved otherwise) first to guarantee I pure Smite it down without questions. I'm currently farming The Pit /players 8 on my hammerdin with 0%MF to find an Ethereal BA while leveling him.

Afterwards, I intend to rush HF and Socketquests with an army of Sorcs (one after another). I'm building a complete twink set to do these speedruns. If that doesn't pan out (the sockets alone are necessary for me, but I mean in the sense of rune drops), I'll likely farm runes in A3 (I'm feeling Countessed out). <Snip by mod>

Afterwards, the goal is to take the Necro and Paladin to 99 on Baal (since they are fairly safe and fast for me) hopefully rounding out my Elite uniques and Ethereal uniques collections while gearing up the rest of the classes to be in a good position to engage in brainlessly-safely fast Baal running to 99.

The game is much different than what I played so many years ago, but it's just as addictive as ever. I'm amazed by the power of my Merc, and I rely upon him more than I remembered ever having before.

My favorite items thus far: Jah, bunch of Ists, perfect maras, 2 SoJs, Duress, Upped Eth Shaftstop, Upped Eth Hone Sundan, my Treachery's, Arachnids, almost perfect Anni, 4x Light Facets, Crescent Moon PB, HOTO, Shaeled Eth Reaper's Toll, Ral'd Visage, Naj's Puzzler (I love it).

I've had so many of the same items drop over and over (I save a lot of items), but not a single Homunculus. I can't find 4-Socket Monarchs to save my life either. It's kind of driving me insane.

Anyways, that's my intro. Nice to meet you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  2. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

EDIT: delete post

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  3. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

If your reason for using the mod-not-to-be-named is occasional respecs, the game already gives you 3 free respecs via Den of Evil quests from Akara in Act 1. This was introduced after the initial release of LOD, in 1.10(1.13? someone correct me plz). There are also things called tokens in the game for essentially 'unlimited' respecs as well. Just fyi.

If your goal is to spam respecs in back to back games to bypass a lot of the challenges in the game; then I guess that can't be helped though.

I'll save my hellos until a mod drops by with a comment first. =)

4. NanoMist

NanoMist Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome. Looks like you are well on your way to some lofty goals. Take a look at this runefinding guide, hellforge rushing was left in the dust once 1.13 improved rune drop rates. I say this as someone who can easily take a sorceress to Matriarch under 3 hours. You'll have some of the basic high runes from Lower Kurast or Travincal before you know it.

h0p3 likes this.
  5. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome! :)

Indeed nowadays it's very easy to get those HRs from LK and later on Travincal with better gear.

Not to dampen the mood and others are usually quicker to point this out, but above you mentioned having an item that cannot be found in SP unless using a mod that is not allowed here. Unfortunately, posting about any progress/finds with a character that used it (or used items found while using it) is against the SPF rules. Nobody's judging really, though maybe you should check with a moderator for specifics in this situation.

As per usual: Please join us in the untwinked 99er challenge! That would at the same time be a fresh start and it's super fun. :)

6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Hi, and welcome.

I echo the other's sentiments as to try and let go of that mod, start over fresh and join us for real. It's much more fun that way, I can assure you. The Ubers in that mod aren't the real stuff, so they are really disappointing. Respecs are already in the game, as has been mentioned. And unlimited stash space is there through GoMule. So again, no reason to use the mod, certainly given how much fun you'll miss by not being allowed to post about your items and stuff.

7. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

One thing I've noticed with HoMule is that it has difficulty displaying Raven Froat correctly..

Anybody else notice this? :rolleyes::D:p

pharphis, zemaj, GalaXyHaXz and 3 others like this.
  8. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

As someone who used to play heavily on battle.net, I can attest to this. While I like breaking rules for the sake of it, IMO it isn't worth wasting your time. The Ubers really aren't challenging as they should be. Diablo Clone isn't fun either. The thrill of the chase is where the joy comes from: hopping from game to game, trying not to get temp banned, while looking for the right IP where SoJs are selling. You then sit there with your heart pounding as each SoJ sells, just waiting for it!

Anyhow, I'd recommend you go on battle.net and make a Smitadin. Grief+Life tap wand is all you need to do them. Just ask someone to Grush you for the hellforge, then follow one of the public bots around until your a high enough level to experience the aforementioned yourself. After that, come back to SP and go vanilla, you'll feel satisfied!

9. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

@DiabloTwoinDC I remember when I found my first Raven Froat, the roll sucked so I sold it to Charsi :p

@GalaXyHaXz you don't even need Grief for Dclone and Ubers, real men play with crushflange :)

Zyr likes this.
  10. h0p3

h0p3 Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you! I found Lo and Vex in an hour doing LK runs. Travincal is a bit rough for me, but I'll figure a way out.

11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I’m editing your original post as it contains too much information regarding the mod you use. Whilst I appreciate you are only explaining your reasons for using it, this forum disagrees with it & the post is bordering on promotion of the mod.

If you feel you want to stop using the mod and properly join the SPF, please contact both mods.