Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Intro] Hello all!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by vulturesrow, May 20, 2008.

1. vulturesrow

vulturesrow IncGamers Member

[Intro] Hello all!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to throw a quick intro out. My name is Chris and I just started playing D2 again. Ive been poking around the forums for several days. I played D2 when it first came out and never realized how much depth there was to the game so Im jumping back in. I'm not much interested in bnet play although I could be convinced.

My obligatory noob question: Ive been reading a lot and decided on 1 of 2 cookie cutter builds for my first character. Im either going to use a Metorb Sorc or Fishymancer. Both of them appeal to me so that isnt an issue. I'm mostly concerned with getting through the story since I dont think I ever actually did that. Id like to do some magic finding along the way to help finance future characters. Any opinions on which one to start with?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Best,
    Chris

2. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Re: [Intro] Hello all!

Welcome to the forums vulturesrow :wave:.

May i advice you to read the forum rules and take a look at the stickies :thumbsup:.

Oh and because your new

*kicks vulturesrow's shins :evil:*

Anyway to answer your question i would think the Meteorb sorc would be your best option if you plan to use her as your basis of farming. If you however whant to complete the game as a whole then Fishymancer is a very easy and safe character to start with. Either way they are both great starting characters.

3. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Both are capable of finishing the game. The Meteorb is great for MFing alot of targets (NM Meph, NM Andy, NM Baal, Hell Andy) and then when you get some gears you can then run Hell Meph for those high end items. Up to you.
    Fishy is safe but slow, Meteorb is fast but a little fragile, depending on your playstyle. Anyways enjoy ur stay, and GL. :smiley:

4. kanonfutter

kanonfutter IncGamers Member

Hello Vulture,

Try to play both for a couple of weeks, alternating between them. Eventually one will emerge as the most fun, and get continued. I did a restart with one of each class, leaving a lot to be parked around act 2 for being not my style, and a couple to be continued. A LF/FA amazon (fishyzon) was an extremely fun experience, quite independant of gear and able to finish the game. On the other hand, my Berserker was safe as rock, but simply to slow and boring. Ended up in nightmare, and I don't think he'll go much further.

So try a few odds and ends to see what fits your style before making a final choice. It is not about beating the game, it is about having fun while you do it.

5. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Hello there!

If you wish to use MF to help equip later characters, and are going SC (as opposed to Hardcore) then the sorceress is the way for you. The fishymancer has an easier time getting there, but in SC that's not really an issue. By the time you are in Hell, you should have some good gear around for fighting, and some good gear for MF.

Make sure to get ATMA or Flavie for ease of storage for those items as well. Also, read up on trading here. You can get a lot of gear pretty cheap, especially if you don't ask for anything too fancy. Most of the trading stock are usually PGems, so make sure to cube as many up as you possibly can, and get a healthy stash going (Unless you plan to go self found only).

I doubt you'll get many bnet play requests in this particular section of the d2forums... Most of the folks here(myself included) aren't overly fond of the attitude of the average bnetter. You could however go MP (there are several who play in parties) and there is a fairly active group of PvP around as well.

If you looked it over a bit, you are bound to have witnessed the tourneys. try one out sometime, they are fun! (oh, btw., most require you to go HC, so finish a SC char first to enable the option)

EDIT : Oh, and here's my LeapAttack in welcome! it's the new and improved shinkick! :grin:

6. vulturesrow

Thanks for the replies all!

7. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

If you love to tinker around in your inventory, identifying every item, and picking up every gold pile, a Summon + CE Necromancer will be your dream come true. That's me.

If you are faster, go with the Meteorb. I like both, although I recently Guardianed a Meteorb and might never play her again.

8. vulturesrow

I started a Fishymancer last night which I am really enjoying. Unfortunately I forgot to do the /players8 so I probably wasted some exp :(. So much stuff to know for this game, its overwhelming!!

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

EXP can't be wasted, you can easily get a lot later. In fact there is a penalty in gaining EXP if you kill monsters who are more than 5 levels lower than you. If you play at P8 from the start you will get above the monster level fast and then you will start to get lower EXP... Besides playing at P8 is BOOORING with Fishymancer.
    Only downside of playing at lower player setting is that you don't get to lvl 24 for Duriel fight, which is great help..
    I usually play at P5 when going untwinked.

And welcome at SPF

10. vulturesrow

Hrus,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try out /p5. Also I really enjoyed reading your MF guide. Not sure I completely understand it yet, but its good stuff. :)