Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Intro and question about runewords

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Naraka, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Intro and question about runewords

Hello everyone. I've relatively new to the SPF, I've been lurking for the past week or so now, just started getting back into D2 after a long time. I Got the game when it came out, played on b.net exclusively, got the expansion the day it came out as well. Stopped playing for about a year, gave my accounts away. Came back about 6 months later, sometime around June of last year, played for a few months levelling up a couple people in anticipation of the 1.10 patch........ which just never came. So I gave up again, gave away my accounts again.

But now, 1.10 is out, I'm back. I don't play on B.net anymore, got sick of 'rush here' and 'rush there' and 'GIVE ITEMZ PLZ ^_^' crap. I also switched to a night shift at my job (I work 2nd level tech support for a major computer company in Texas), and consequently have lots of free time to play games on my 2nd computer.... d2 single player is pretty convienent for me because it's just myself, which suits my play style (slow, methodical, complete clearing of everywhere, i always hated trying to keep up with people, and i always liked picking up practically EVERYTHING and selling it).

Anyway. I've been trying out a number of builds listed on the FAQ page. First try was a 'fishymancer' (why it's called a fishymancer I'll never guess)... Lost power around Act 5 normal and I decided he probably wasn't very viable for Hell.

Went to a Hammerdin, got to lvl 18 and said wow this guy isn't working out too well.

Finally decided to be a sheep and make a Chain Lit/Froz Orb sorc. One of my very very first characters ever was a pure Chain Lit sorc (this was back around, oh, 1.03 or somewhere, i have no idea). She totally ROCKED, of course she never made it past act 1 NM, but she was still a lot of fun to play. So I decided to try it again, but now I know one needs more than one element of course. :) ANd i Didn't wanna be lame and do a Firewall sorc (the kind that was popular during.. um 1.08-ish when firewall was godlike)....

Anyhow, my runeword question. I made a "TalEth" 'stealth' armor, but it didn't work. It just socketed the runes and didn't give me the runeword... and I'm not sure why. On the d2.net runeword pages, the runeword states for 1.09 Realm and Open, does this mean 'Not Ladder or Single player' ?

I thought Open was essentially the same as Single player, but again, I am new. I did read all the FAQ pages, and haven't found the answer, hence my post.

Anyway... hello all, looking forward to a wonderful stay! :)

Naraka
    p.s. yes i get long winded at times...

2. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

There are two things you need to check before you make a runeword:

1. The name of the item has to be grey.
    2. If the runeword requires two runes, the item should have two sockets, not more.

Welcome to the forum by the way :howdy:

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

hi, welcome to the forums!
    its a fishymancer because NightFish, a user here, was the 1 who made the excellent guide you probably read. in 1.09 the same kind of build was a skellymancer.
    the runeword will work on SP, all of them do, as do all 'ladder only' items and cube recipes. only annihlus charm and world events are not in SP. check and see if you socketed the right way round. they have to go in the correct order or they dont work. and it has to be a 2 socket item that matches up with the runeword requirement (see the rune section at diabloii.net or the arreat summit to find otu what takes the runewords.)
    if you put it in the right way, used a 2 socket item that allows that runeword, then i dunno what it could be...

4. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Well, yes, i had a two-socket armor, here's the paste from Atma:

Mechanic's Chain Mail
    'TalEth'
    Defense: 74
    Durability: 24 of 45
    Required Strength: 48
    Required Level: 17
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 17
    Fingerprint: 0x3204640a
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    Poison Resist +30%
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

I just figure it's some unique property of runewording in single (which doesn't make sense to me), or I did something wrong.

Oh... y'know what, i thing it's blue not grey.... can't runeword magical items I guess..... boy do i feel really stupid.... oh well... my highest ever runeword i ever made was an OrtSol ('Lore').... never found any runes higher than a Sol.... ever.. 8(

Oh well. Thank you for pointing out my newbness... honest mistake. Been a while since playing hehe... :)

Naraka

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Yep Mechanic's is a magic prefix.

Those runes are not to hard to come by though I found about 4 each doing 10 normal countess runs.

Welcome to the forums! and don't worry about the runeword mix up I am sure its happened to about 90% of us at some point in our D2 carreers :surprise:

6. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! :howdy:

But one thing kinda bugs me... Fishymaner NOT viable??!! :scratch: They are one of the most, if not THE easiest char to play in Hell. Very viable, keep trying your guy, once you pick up a might merc in Act 2 NM, you'll be near umstoppable. It does get a bit slow going later, but i guarantee you will be able to Pat this char without much trouble, even untiwnked. You could probably Pat a fishy naked if you really wanted to. They just might take a bit of getting used to.

Anyways, sorry for the outburst, and enjoy your stay! :drink:

-Pb

7. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums :)

And like said, "ladder only" is a realm restriction, here we don't have any other restrictions but slow updating of the game (grr...FE bug) and no DiabloClone & Annihilus.

Also like said, for runewords only normal non-magical items work, so the items name have to be grey for it to work, magicals, sets, uniques etc etc don't worl at all for them.

8. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums. :howdy: Enjoy your stay in SPF land...its excellent here.

9. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF, hope you enjoy your stay :)

As someone said, the Fishymancer build is VERY viable in Hell, my own recently became my first Pat. Normal Diablo was my one and only really.. really.. scary bit... Normal Act 4 is when he has some trouble, but after that its plain fairly good except the Maggot Lair, which is do-able with a tactic switch :)

10. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

Welcome to wonderful world of SPF. My first Pat was also a fishy which is also why i dont understand "viable". but o well everyone has thir preferences so have fun with different builds.

11. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Welcome to the SPF! I hope your stay is long and enjoyable for you.

12. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Greetings, Naraka, and welcome to our forums. It's good to see that you've read the FAQs, so I'll just ask you to remember to behave in front of our elite uniques.

While you're here, feel free to drop by at the local forum bar, the EMB, for a quiet drink or two - the first one's on me. :drink:

Enjoy your time here.

13. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

Greetings Naraka, welcome to the forums :)