Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Intoducing Matriarch Sniper: The Pure Bowazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Crazy Runner Guy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Intoducing Matriarch Sniper: The Pure Bowazon

v1.10 Pat/Mat #6 for me just killed hell baal a few minutes ago. I'll cut to the chase, so here's some stats:

STR: 134
    DEX: 193
    VITA: 201
    NRG: what's that?

Life: 1178
    Mana: 178

Resistances:
    Fire: 29
    Cold: 48
    Lightning: 73
    Poison: -6

Skills
    Penetrate: 20
    Valk: 20 (2500 life :D)
    Strafe: 20
    Pierce: 5
    D/A/E: 4 each
    Decoy: 4 (synergie with valk)
    Critical Strike: 4 (48%)
    Freezing Arrow: 1 (Added in the high 70's as a untility)

AR: 9077
    Def: 1075 (super low...)

Equipment

Upgraded Goldstrike Arch
    244% ED, 34-233 dmg
    122% AR
    128% dmg v. demons
    191% dmg v. Undead
    socketed with shael
    Duriel's Shell /w 15% IAS jewel
    Tal's Horadric Crest /w 61 AR, 15% IAS jewel
    Angelic Halo
    Angelic Wings

Rare 6% LL, 11/11/11/18 res all, 14 dex ring
    8/11 String of Ears
    Perfect (25/25) Res Natalya's Soul

these gloves
    Bone Finger
    Chain Gloves
    Defense: 9
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 57
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x452e1b12
    Fire Resist +13%
    Lightning Resist +19%
    Attacker Takes Damage of 6
    Knockback
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    5% Chance to cast Level 4 Frost Nova when struck
    14% Chance to cast Level 5 Charged Bolt when struck

Strafe Dmg: 153-1048 with might merc, no poison and very little elemental dmg

inventory full of individual res charms, mostly lighting and fire

merc
    Act 2 Offensive (Might)
    Reaper's Toll
    7/6/16 Gampire Gaze
    Black Hades, Clean

And now for the story...

This was an amazingly fun character to play, except for Baal, which I will discuss later. The basic premise of this character was to get a high damaging bow to fire as fast as possible. I wasn't too concerned with the first shot, but I wanted to get the strafe shots down to 2 fpa (frames per arrow) With the goldstrike, which has 50% inherent IAS on it, I accomplished that. With the shael, two IAS jewels and gloves, I hit the 120% IAS breakpoint for a Hydra bow, which yields a 9/2 strafe speed. Rediculuously fast. 10 arrows (max) go out in 27 frames (1.08 seconds) and 7 (minimum) take only 21 frames to discharge (.86 seconds)

This build leveled very fast all the way through NM. Once I hit 46 from norm baal and equipped the Goldstrike, it was smooth sailing until Hell Baal.

She MP'd most of hell (act 2-4 and 5 to arreat plateau WP). With my setup, I could have done that myself at the cost of additional time. Thanks to all who played in the game a few nights back!

The rest of hell act 5 I vowed not to continue until I had KB. Until that point, I had been in a large party and other people tanked besides my merc/valk/decoy. Once I started solo in the Crystalinne passage, I realized KB is NECESSARY to solo hell.

The first big battle was with the ancients. I re-rolled them three times on account of the FE bug, and the fourth one, while not great, didnt' have the bug.

My merc died quite quickly, but by then the leaper was almost dead, so I continued the fight on the lower corner of the Summit. I used the pillars to fire my 7 arrows at only one ancient at a time, and Korlic was the second to go down after a long time. Then I pushed Mawdawc into a corner and with inner sight and Slow missiles, he died eventually, even though he was Stone Skin.

Getting to the Throne room was quite easy, except for I drew the absolute worst map for worldstone 2. The stairs and WP are on the complete opposite sides of the map. WSK 3 was fast, and then came Baal.

My merc died at least 3 times to Achmel (2nd wave) due to his lighting, him being decrepped and massive poison.

He died again once or twice on Bartuc due to his HF aura.

He survived the fourth wave!

Lister was trouble though. I wasn't that he had horrible mods, its just that the decrep didn't go off that much and he got pounded. I didn't park him, but I did need to revive him a couple times.

Baal was a nightmare though....

If you notice my gear above, I have 0% CB, 0% OW, no Prevent Monster Heal and 0% Deadly Strike, including on my merc. Thus, I emptied at least 600 arrows in the demon (i even switched back to Laying of Hands) and THEN he died, about 20 minutes later. You would think I would have learned my lesson by using a CBmancer to run Baal (70% CB on merc, 50% on 'mancer). But no. I just stood there and shot at Baal. I eventually got smart and bought a flamberge of Vileness (PMH), and wacked him with it. Baal duplicated himself twice, and both times I ran to a corner and picked up gold and waited.

As for my merc v. Baal, I burned about 300k gold resurecting the guy. Eventually with about 1/4 left on Baal's gauge i just screw it and just fired at him.

Overall, she died only a few times, and all were victims of the Lag monster in the MP game. Other than that, she never died in solo play, not even in act 5 hell. I also have never fought glooms/black souls with her....

What I learned:

Valk is amazing
    Pure bowazons are viable
    You need to incorporate DS, OW, CB, PMH into your gear.

So now Sniper is the 6th Mat/Pat in v1.10. Only a barb to go, and he's in act 3 hell. Expect to see a report and guide on him within the week.

Have fun!
    crg

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

well done! i have 1, almost 2. i hope to ge 1 of each, but that will take time.

3. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Great work! Pure bowazons are tough to play in 1.10 :clap:

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Congrats ;) You say pure bowzons are still good... But most of the time you had a party... How fast were you sailing after you started going solo? ;)

About the other things you learned...

DS does nothing for you if Critical Strike triggers so you don't really need DS. If you have 70% CS and 50% DS you will do double damage only 85% of the time.

CB is reduced when ranged (cut in half?) so I doubt it is all that useful...

I agree on knockback, OW and PMH, though.

Oh, and you mentioned you had no PMH against Baal... Doesn't matter. Act bosses don't heal.

5. BeatMaster

BeatMaster IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Matriarch! :)

One small tip on killing Baal though. In the area in front of the place where Baal spawns, (at the start of the bridge), two pillars are positioned. If you halt just before you reach the first pillar, (the on on the right), you can position yourself there and fire guided arrows, (using the shift key), towards the right side of the pillar and the arrows will seek Baal and hit him while his elemental attacks can´t get through to you. I have killed Baal this way many times. Just beware his teleporting ability and you´ll be fine. Oh, and Crushing blow is a MUST, which you already mentioned.

Just a quick tip for amazons out there who are having trouble with Baal in hell difficulty.

CHEERS! :drink:

-BeatMaster

6. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

It was nothing spectacular, but I was still making good progress. Goldstrike does wonders on undead and demons.

That is it, but for baal, I would go CB mancer style, and grab my 4x Eth, 2x Shael Phase blade, Guillaume's Face and Gore Rider.

Good to know. I could have sworn he was healing.

crg

7. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Grats!!! To everyone who said they "nerfed" bowazons, take that~

Interesting to see your build, and I'm not surprised you had trouble with Baal. 20 Penetrate is an interesting choice, I used magic arrow's AR bonus to kill bosses and just left penetrate at 1. I bet all that IAS was awesome.

GG

8. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Congratulations, CRG. It's great to see the humble little zon get her due. :lol:

Well done. :thumbsup:

9. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

gratz on the mat :thumbsup: once i can play again i want to start a pure 1.10 bowazon and a 1.10 hammerdin too, so its good to see that a pure bowazon can cut it :uhhuh:

have a :drink: on me at the EMB, u deserved it

robin

10. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Congrats on Mat!! :clap:

Now visit EMB and have one on me :drink:

I am making my own bowazon atm, I just wonder how she can survive hell (she will have max 700 life) :uhhuh:

11. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

tought about multiplayer games :teeth:

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Nice gloves, nice rare ring and NICE bow. I hope to find a Goldstrike with one of my bow-wielders (haven´t seen one yet). Where did it drop? I bet it was a good upgrade when you got it. :D What bow did you use until then?

I don´t think 20 minutes against Hell Baal is a long fight. I don´t know how long my "randomly challenged" amazon Lucky took to clear the breeding room in Hell Maggot Lair, but I know she used 4 1/2 quivers of arrows (almost 1600 arrows) to do it.

13. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

nice to se good things about a pure bowazon!!

Im interessted in starting one of my own