Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Interview between G4TV and Jay Wilson (some runestone info!) der=0

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Zediono, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Zediono

Zediono IncGamers Member

Interview between G4TV and Jay Wilson (some runestone info!)

http://g4tv.com/videos/48293/Diablo-3-Gamescom-2010-Interivew/

Some of the things mentioned in the video.

- Rune system is in for almost every class and most of the skills
    - 5 different runes
    - Some are just stat improvements, but most fundamentally change the skill

Hydra rune effects (also completely change the Hydra's appearance)
    - Poison heads shoot poison-bolts and leave pools of acid on the ground
    - Lightning heads shoot chain lightning
    - Cold heads shoot frost-bolts
    - Improved fire heads breath cones of fire

-Mystic may be able to take several runes you don't want and turn them into a random different rune.

-This BlizzCon, in terms of Diablo news, will be the biggest they've ever had.

From b.net thread:
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=26560500175&sid=3000

2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Interview between G4TV and Jay Wilson (some runestone info!)

Er, this was on the front news a day or two ago. Good try, though. Hydra variations not very creative, but seem solid gameplay wise.

The stats improvement rune is good news, though. It means that people who like the original functionality of the spell aren't forced to change it for it to remain competitive with all the variations. For example, unless Teleport gets a particularly useful gimmick, I would much rather get a straight statistical boost in form of a cooldown decrease.

3. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

The Hydra rune effects sound very cool :)

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

As konfeta said, it's been posted. I typed up a transcript of everything after the familiar Artisans info in the first 2:30. I'll paste it here for ongoing discussion.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-interview-g4tv/

Jay Wilson:
    One of our design goals was to find better options for players to use the items they didn’t want. So we added a feature where players can use a cube-like device (salvage cube) to take their excess items and break them down into the raw materials of magical items. Those materials can then be recycled through crafting.

Often, players find items that are useful, but not for that particular character. In Diablo II there was no easy way to transfer that item. We wanted to address that issue, and considered several possible methods. Mailing an item another character is one way. We do want to add that feature eventually, but it’s not super high priority and we might run out of time to implement it, so we can’t rely on that being in the game.

That’s how our design process works, by the way. We’re always weighing the scenarios and possible options. What system will be the best way to implement a feature?

Including a shared stash in Diablo III is, I think, everyone’s first choice. A shared stash is very easy to deal with for the player, and having it in the game creates a nice common area where characters can gather in a game. It does create a few problems, though. For one thing, it really encourages players to mule items on multiple characters. Which may just be something we have to deal with. Players who like to mule really like doing it. We kind of feel, well, we wish you didn’t have to mule. We wish there was a better way to store away spare items.

That’s one of our design dilemmas. Often we see a feature that the players really want, but that we don’t want to include. In those cases, it isn’t that we don’t appreciate the reasons players are giving. It’s that we’re looking at the issue and seeing why players want that, but trying to think of a better way to implement it.

Twn Portals were a convenient feature to be able to get back to town and manage your inventory. They created several problems, though.

For one thing, having to go back to town every time your inventory filled, which happened quite frequently in Diablo 2, was very jarring. All those regular returns breaks up the pace of combat, much more than we want. TPs are also a terrible combat exploit. Essentially you can drop a TP anywhere and get out of any situation without a problem. That really destroys a lot of the work we’re doing to create a game that has a lot more depth to the combat.

There’s all these problems with it, and we tried a lot of ways to fix those problems. We tried putting cool downs on casting Town Portals. We tried one way portals. We tried all kinds of ways. Making town portal scrolls really rare. None of them solved the problem. They just changed the nature of it. So we eventually came to the conclusion that they just had to be removed.

What that means is that we had to solve the problem about what to do when the bag is full. That’s why we created salvaging, and scrolls of wealth that let you sell items where you are. If you don’t need to manage your items in town, if you can do it out in the world, then you don’t need to go back as often and town portals become irrelevant. And that’s our goal.

We do also place Waypoints a little more frequently. That’s just to account for the fact that people sometimes want a break.

The rune system is awesome right now. It’s in for almost every class, and for most of the skills. There are five different runes. Each one changes your skill in a different way. Some are just stat improvements. we’ve focused a lot on making as many key signature skill changes as possible.

One of my favorites is on the Wizard. She has a skill called Hydra, which is largely the same as it was in Diablo 2. Fiery (dragon) heads that shoot fireballs. Depending on which rune the Wizard sockets in that skill, the dragon heads change elements, and it’s a major change. Their entire appearance is altered. They can become poison heads, which shoot bolts of poison that leave pools of acid on the ground. There are lightning heads that shoot Chain Lightning. Cold heads that shoot Frost Bolts that slow enemies. Another rune makes for a bigger fire attack, where the head just breaths a cone of flame.

Runes will work with the Artisans also. If you get a bunch of Runes you don’t want, probably the Mystic will be able to take several of those runes and generate a new random rune from them.

In closing, I can say that this Blizzcon, in terms of Diablo news, will be the biggest one we’ve ever had. Well, maybe other than the one (2008) in which fans first got to play the game. But in terms of new news, we’re going big this year.

5. Zediono

Zediono IncGamers Member

Damn, I completely missed it somehow... oh well, we have a thread now :)

I agree that these hydra variations are not that creative, but it does give what Blizz wants: interesting choices for the player.

I do hope though that some of the runestones (especially the stat improvements) don't turn out like glyphs in WoW in terms of being limited (most of the time there is only a small subsets of best glyphs) and that the skill modifications will be significant for all the skills (which it looks like it will be according to this interview). Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased! :)

6. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Well, the choices are there definitely. The fire cone variant seems ideal for clustered groups, the chain lightning variant seems ideal for dispersed group, cold is utility, poison.. not seeing it. I think it would have to have highest single target damage to be useful, as the poison puddle sounds like something that would be useful only against enemies that stand still. Though, I have to say, I am digging the part where they are bringing old Sorc spells here.

I thought things like Chain Lightning, Frostbolt, and Inferno were gone for a while when I saw Wizard's spell line up. Pleasant surprise to see them back, and in some cases, conceptually far more sound form. Remember that time where you had to stand still while channeling Inferno? That sucked. Made the spell completely useless. But now you don't have to channel it, just position the Hydra head properly.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Call me cynical, but when they nail down all the skills I could see this turning around. With most being stat improvements and a few changing the skill fundamentally.

8. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

It depends on the utility too. I like the elemental change. I'd be given the option to have, basically, fire, lightning, cold or poison Sentry traps. Personally, a cold trap would rock socks for crowd control. Then, if I wanted a stronger one, that cone seems good as long as it isn't the same as the inferno in D2 (tiny real radius and 1/3 damage).

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

maybe its just me but wont most people just use cold? even at zero damage if you really slow mobs down its like fish in a barrel. i hope they do poison right, always thought it was hard to put any DoT's into a game as fast paced as diablo

10. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I'm really unimpressed by this, the Hydra changes are like something you would expect to see in an episode of the Powerpuff Girls on Cartoon Network or whatever, so very predictable and unimaginative.

What's even the point of the skill being Hydra anymore?

"So yeah, when applied to Fireball it'll be poison ball, ice ball, electric ball or, ermmmm, a bigger fireball."
    "So yeah, when applied to Meteor it'll be Poiseor, Iceor, Electreor or, ermmmm, Meteoreor."
    "So yeah, it'll be Fire yawn, Poison yawn, Electric yawn or, ermmmm, YAAAAAWN!"

Very disappointing.

11. Thecla

Thecla IncGamers Member

Here's another quote that make me scratch my head.

What is Jay Wilson really trying to say here? If it's just that he doesn't like the idea of storing items on other characters and would rather find some other way to store items, I don't think anyone would object. But it's almost like he's saying he doesn't like muling period, that he thinks it's "wrong" and shouldn't be in the game, that people shouldn't have to/want to collect items. For example, maybe because there's an auction house where you can buy stuff instead of keeping it on hand yourself. But, like many other things, he seems to be going drastically against the grain of how D1/D2 worked.

12. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

I agree completely.

By doing this it will remove a lot of the customizability that Blizzard are trying to put into D3 in my opinion. By having Hydra only change elements there will be a way to work out which element is most efficient with regards to both PvP and PvM and end out as cookie cutter.

13. Apocalypse

what i think he was saying (and i am probably wrong) is that he does not want people to make characters just for the purpose of holding items. i dont think they are against twinking that much but more so against people having 20 characters but only playing with 3 while 17 sit there being glorified pack mules

me being the person that i am loved to collect unique/set items. i had mules just to hold them even if i never would use it. i just liked having it for some reason. then all the gem and rune mules or the good rare items it was crazy

14. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Is this some inside joke I didn't hear?

Whining about being predictable? Takes away customization? An obvious grabbing-at-straws with PPG? What the hell?

So we have a rune that clearly has something to do with the elements. Hmmm, wonder what it'll do to a skill? Will it be elemental related? NOOOOOOO. It can't be that. Why would it? Elemental focus on an elemental rune? That's too predictable and therefore bad. :hammerhead:

Now, I can take a skill, do whatever I want with it, but this clearly isn't being able to customize it. Changing a skill to my choosing to fit my strategy? Not for me. I'd like cookie cutter boring. That's not predictable. :smug:

He doesn't say he doesn't like muling, he said they wish we didn't have to. What that means is that they want us to have a storage system where we can access the items rather than dump them on a char and store it on our account, or even an extra account(s). Basically, it ties in with his shared stash comments in one of the interview videos.

15. Arbedark

Fire vs Poison vs Cold vs Lightning Hydra, which does best damage throughout Hell? It will be easy to work this out in relation to monster population density and resistance levels to work out which of these will be the most effective.

THAT is what I mean with respect to removing customization and leading to "cookie cutters"

Compared with say Electrocute and how the current rune changes it from Single Target to Chain Lightning. This gives the player an actual choice, better single target damage or better crowd damage. Depending on what they want the skill to do.

And come on, runes could be a LOT more innovative in Hydra than simply "Red Hydra", "Blue Hydra", "Green Hydra", "White Hydra"...

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

You decide between a stronger Fire (that's the highest damage), a chain lightning (hits more targets than fire bolts / inferno can), cold bolts (the only one that chills), or poison & acid (the only DoT, and acid may have slow effects on the feet since each limb can have an effect).

The "best" is extremely subjective. You have the choice of damage; can't really call it AoE, but hitting more monsters; crowd control; or a skill that complements other acid skills (giving that option to players (AKA, customization)).

And this is the first I've heard of a plain color + the name of the skill for the runes. Last I heard, we were getting stone names and a description of the nature of the rune.

17. Apocalypse

no matter what they do to customize the game eventually a "best" will come out and will be the cookie cutter until a patch hits. i think they are giving us alot of options which should allow for a longer learning period before all the cookie cutter characters flood bnet

18. Arbedark

I was being facetious with regards to the colour Hydra remarks.

I agree that in principle having the runes act as you say is a good form of customization, as in my example of Electrocute, a skill in which I feel the already implemented rune effect is a good decision for a player.

The problem comes with the fact that Hydra is already pretty much an AoE skill (if it is coming back similar to D2) and the rune options give you: Fire AoE, Lightning AoE, Cold AoE with a chill, Poison AoE with some DoT.

So just different elements, of which it will be easy to work out which will give the best average damage over time.

19. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Hydras fire bolts, which usually means single target. Fire Ball was the splash one. Hydra's AoE would come from the cone of fire, or the lightning's multi-target chain lightning.

At base, fire, cold and poison are all bolts.

20. Arbedark

I was referring to the actual in game implementation of the Skill Hydra being AoE in so far as it attacks multiple times against a mob for a set duration. If there are 3 fallen one cast of Hydra will most likely kill all 3 as opposed to 1 cast of ice bolt.

In game the skill will attack multiple mobs and will effectively act as an AoE skill, hence optimizing damage will be easy. The only challenge will be working out which rune would be best for Single Target damage as opposed to AoE damage resulting in very limited (IMO) customization for the skill Hydra.

If other skills are handled more in line with Electrocute and Teleport I will be much happier.