Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Interview anecdotes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Merick, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Interview anecdotes

I hate these "Tell me about a time you...accomplished a difficult task/had a team member who didn't pull their weight/learned something new/etc questions in job interviews. I really don't jave any stories for these things. I end up making up a really lame and generic story on the spot. I honestly don't have anything appropriate to say for these questions. Should I sit down and write up some good stories to tell when I'm asked these things? Should I be honest and tell them I can't recall such a time? Do everyone else have a life full of entertaining stories that fit each of these questions?

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

just make the stuff up...tell them about the time you were trapping anacondas in the swamps of anacondaland and your team mate let go of the head...the snake whipped around and started to swallow you whole...you had to cut you way out of it's belly with a swiss army knife.

i have interviewed a lot of people in my time...the stories i could tell. :rolleyes: i remember one guy brought his mother...sad....the best was the guy who had his finger jammed up his nose to the 2nd knuckle...i hit him with a question like the one that is giving you a hard time...."when you are done picking your nose, tell me about...." it stumped him...i bet he wished that he had an anaconda story prepared in advance.

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

You don't have to answer the question word for word. Tell them any interesting story that has even a thread of connection to what they asked. Accomplishing a difficult task could be the time you went rock climbing, or the time you wrote a research paper or the big game you made a shot in. The point is to be interesting.

Lying is generally a bad idea, if they hire you they are building a relationship with you, and you should have the decency to base that relationship on truths about yourself. However, feel free to exagerate a little bit, everyone does it.

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Man, what jobs haven't you had yet? Do you have a checklist?

5. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

when you own your own business you are forced to wear many different hats.....all i do now is get up in the mornings....read the paper and look good for the ladies....*good life :grin:

*not really...i hate it.

6. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I know, those questions are so stupid. I just make some **** up.

7. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

I knew it! Your whole life is LIES! Filthy lies! *runs upstairs, screaming like a little girl, then slams his bedroom door*

8. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

On my very first interview they asked me LOTS of those kinds of questions. Some of them I knew the answers to, the others not. I think I did good though, telling the truth. I'd say do the best you can lol, I'm not sure I'd make up something. But that's just me. Maybe exaggerate a bit :azn:

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You come down right now or no dessert for you, mister!

Ooh, cheesecake... on second thoughts, stay there.