Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Internet Ping Pong (or, Take that, NK!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LozHinge the Unhinged, Dec 23, 2014.

1. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30584093

Looks like the NK Internet connection (or what passes for one) got blitzed for a few hours very recently.

No one is saying whodunnit ... likely the culprit will remain, *cough*, anonymous.

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

China is what I heard and already up

3. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

You're saying China pulled the plug? Source?

Either that or you're suggesting a candidate for Most Epic or Romantic Piece of Music. It's hard to tell.

4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Who pulled the plug on North Korea's Internet: AFP
    24 December 2014 | 02:52 | FOCUS News Agency
    [​IMG]Picture: AFP
    Gallery
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Washington. North Korea's Internet was on the fritz for a second day Tuesday. But the US is staying silent on whether it launched a cyber attack as payback for the hacking of Sony Pictures, AFP writes.

And in the murky world of cyber security, experts say there are several plausible scenarios for why North Korea suddenly went dark, stressing it's impossible to know exactly what happened:
    Did the US launch a cyber attack on North Korea? While some have been quick to make the link between Pyongyang's connectivity woes and a pledge by US President Barack Obama to retaliate for last month's Sony hack, many analysts aren't convinced. For its part, the Obama administration is dodging questions and refusing to publicly outline any measures it takes against Pyongyang.

Is China the main suspect? North Korea only has connections to four Internet networks and they all run through China, operated by a single provider, China Unicom. China has been increasingly frustrated by the erratic behavior of North Korea's new young leader, Kim Jong-Un.

Could the outage be an internal North Korean issue? CSIS analyst Lewis believes the top scenario is the North Koreans either "inadvertently doing this, or more likely combing through their networks" to figure out how the US traced them to the Sony attack.

What about hacktivist groups such as Anonymous? Supporting this theory is the fact that North Korea has been targeted by Anonymous in the past.

An international legal framework on cyber warfare is currently being negotiated through the UN First Committee, which deals with disarmament and threats to international peace.
    © 2014 All rights reserved. Citing Focus Information Agency is mandatory!

Thats a better source than I had at the time and if it was physically down external cause where it was down IMHO .

It could have been internal cut off.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

BTW it's being released - not that that makes all the links I posted in the movie thread work or anything.

6. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Didn't even look like that good of a movie to me, but this supposed attempt to kill it by NK is just going to make it a huge success. It's almost enough to make me believe all of this was nothing more than an elaborate publicity stunt.

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Negotiated by Denis Rodman. He's still pissed at Hollywood.
    :D

X-mas X-sphere-icy Hat on.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I doubt that it was the reaction which the US president talked about. I think the US would do something openly and without denying it later... right? Besides, it would have been a pathetically weak reaction.

Apart from that, denying internet access to NK is like taking away a freezer from an eskimo.

9. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Pretty much. When I heard that the attack came from NK, I knew right away that it would have been the NK government behind it simply because nobody else in that country would have a computer, let alone internet access outside the country. Or the electrical power to just turn the darn thing on, come to think of it.

As for how the U.S. would go about punishing NK, well, we can't exactly bomb them back to the stone age like everyone else. It would be a technological advancement for a place like that. Taking away their internet is about the only thing that can be done short of finally convincing the Chinese to look the other way while somebody bitch slaps Kim.

Oh, now there's a thought. Maybe China is the culprit behind NK losing their internet access. I little time out for the petulant child, perhaps? ;)

jmervyn likes this.
  10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That was my thought as well.

12. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Well Attacks continue - Glad I don't use gaming systems other than a PC
    MS and Sony now.
    Hackers claimed responsibility for a Christmas Day outage that crippled the Xbox Live and PlayStation Networks around the globe.

The group calling itself "Lizard Squad" said on social media it shut the gaming systems down, preventing users from playing products online.

13. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

I suppose if you really want to hurt a game company, Christmas day is a prime time to take down their network, but come on. It's Christmas! Kind of a douchebag thing to do on Christmas.

14. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Well is a douchebag; a protester, or a terrorist, a vandal, or a mass vandal? i.e. multiple accounts of assault on property rights?

Do his so called reasons water ?
    Did he or they state them clearly?

I favor going with Asian Justice and using a firm speaking to and spanking administered in public and take his toys
    of destruction if it's a nation state
    away.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Better info:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/26/tech/playstation-xbox-problems/

DDos

It turns out that this was indeed a cyberattack, chances are it was done by Lizard Squad, a band of black-hat hackers who have claimed responsibility.

CNN cannot confirm the identity or claims of the group, and PlayStation hasn't said anything beyond that it was working to fix the problem. For its part, Xbox spokesman Sean McCarthy told CNN that "we don't share info on the root cause of specific issues."

But there is little reason to doubt their claims.

In August, Lizard Squad said it took down the PlayStation Network by flooding it with illegitimate traffic, something called a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS) in the video game world, resulting in millions of gamers being unable to play together online.

Earlier this month, Sony was hit with a similar outage that Lizard Squad not only took credit for, but it promised additional "Christmas presents" would soon be coming. "Unlike Santa, we don't like giving all of our Christmas presents out on one day. This entire month will be entertaining," Lizard Squad tweeted.

At 6:13 p.m. Friday, a Lizard Squad twitter handle tweeted, "ALL ATTACKS ON PSN AND XBOX HAVE STOPPED." When a CNN reporter hit refresh moments later on the Sony Entertainment Network website -- which had been down since Thursday evening -- it was back online. Microsoft's service page was still reporting 'limited service,' however.

17. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Technically speaking, almost every case of real world hacking can be considered an inside job.

[​IMG]

jmervyn likes this.
  18. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Wow! How Freeking stupid is SONY?

No encryption on internal docs and SS# in the open and DDos hackable PS network down on X-mas after they were warned in Oct that it would be attacked.
    But while Sony deals with rampant piracy issues at one end, it’s now facing copyright infringement allegations of its own. According to new claims, Sony used copyrighted music in The Interview without permission and without compensating an artist.

Yoon Mi-rae (real name Natasha Shanta Reid) is a US-born hip hop and R&B singer who currently releases music on the Feel Ghood Music label. In January 2013 as part of MFBTY (My Fans Better Than Yours), the 33-year-old hit the number 1 spot in the Korean Music Charts and in September reached the same heights on Billboard’s Kpop Hot 100 list with her song ‘Touch Love’.

But while these recognitions were achieved by fans buying her music, she’s now in the spotlight for not getting paid for her work. It appears that Yoon Mi-rae was in negotiations with Sony to have her track ‘Pay Day’ appear in The Interview. Even though no agreement was reached, Sony used the music anyway.

“There were initial discussions for using ‘Pay Day‘ in the movie, but at some point, the discussions ceased and we assumed that it would not follow through,” Feel Ghood Music says.

“However, after the movie was released, we learned that the track had been used without permission, legal procedure, or contracts.”

They release the Interview at last and the id0ts use a song they did not license but were negotiations for.
    From a American KPop Artist - who now is suing for unlicensed use (hey but SONY is known for defending that right? /s) and damages, due to being, you know, personally marked for death, by the NK

I think the price might be higher given the changes that took place before release, She has a good case for stating she thinks it endangers her and she would not have agreed and force them to pay damages and change the movie yet again.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  19. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

And after seeing that clip, I'm inclined to change my mind about the controversy making it a big success. It might very well bomb anyway.