Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Internet Laws

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Relativity, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Relativity

Relativity IncGamers Member

Internet Laws

Hi, it's the first time i've posted in here. Should I be afraid? :p

Anyways, I was wondering, could anyone point me to a website that contains the laws in regards to "intellectual property" I believe it's called. If anyone was around here a few years (months?) ago, there was a huge fued in the PvP forum about laws and legalities. It was around the time bloembak was enstated as moderator. The posts made were from select people in the PvP forum who were leaving the forums, severing all ties to dii.net, and wanting dii.net to remove the guides they wrote from the strategy compendium. They were arguing that they wrote them so they had the rights to them.

I'm curious about this topic and I'd like to see the laws pertaining to it.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Relativity

2. gaoneng

gaoneng IncGamers Member

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

Edit: The words are subject to copyright law, but the concept is not. Someone can copy your exact method in the guide and you can't do anything about it.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

No, that means that nobody can get a copyright (patent) on the burizon, or the titan barb, or the method of playing [crowbar] itself. The writing describing such methods, though, is covered by copyright.

This means that the people who wrote it have the right to do what they will with their writing. They can post it on their own websites or submit it to any guide sites they want to.

They cannot, however, get the writing taken down from dii.net because it was provided to this site with permission to publish it here. Copyright is not the same as right to distribute, given the terms of the agreement in place when they shared their work with this site.

5. Relativity

Relativity IncGamers Member

That is correct. DiabloII.net has that covered with their rule:

8. Thou Shalt Not Get Territorial. If you post or submit something to any of our sites, or to RPGForums proper -- be it an article, a news item, a forum post, a strategy guide, or a suggestion -- it becomes the property of the site. That means if we leave it in the forum, post it to our Strategy Compendium or put it into a Hall of Fame or whatever, it is still your work, but we have rights to it as well. If we allow it to be present on the site(s), or use it in any form, you agree that you have no financial claim against the site. We do not demand that items be exclusively ours, but once something it submitted to us for publication or posted in our forums, its removal is entirely at our discretion.

Thank you geoneng, that was exactly what I was looking for! Cheers! :drink:

-Relativity

6. gaoneng

gaoneng IncGamers Member

Wow I just went to read some of the articles myself.

Apparently linking could be illegal. linky

I'm also somewhat confused. It says here derivative works are considered copyright violation, and that includes fan fiction. If I write a game guide, isn't that derivative work from the game? :scratch:

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think that more refers to fan fiction and the like. A game guide is just words how to do something. You're not really taking their ideas with a game guide and using them for your own purposes, unless you get paid for the game guide. If things like that were illegal, 85% of the stuff on dii.net forums would be illegal too.

8. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

9. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

Ehh, of course it is not the same thing, but distribution is PART of copyright. As oposed to some other "rights" belonging to the copyright holder the right of distribution can be consumed. As an example, when you buy a work that is protected by copyright (for example a book), the copyright holder control the distribution. However, once it has been first sold, the distribution right is consumed for that specific copy and the copyright holder can no longer control thatpart. That is why you, after having bought the book can, for example, sell it to someone else in, say, a second hand book store or directly to someone else. The basics is that once you have accuired a copy, the distribution of that specific copy can no longer be controlled by the copyright holder.

As always there might be some variation to this in various countries, but that is the basics of it.

10. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

That "rule" is really horribly badly worded. It talks about "property" which is hardly what is meant, copyright (if that is meant) is not property. In addition, it gives the impression (at least in first sentence) that you actually is turning over the copyright to the site (and hence lose it yourself). What is probably meant is that you would give the site a permision or license to use the guide. I won't discuss the revoking or removal of such a permision or license.

Finally note that it would apply to the forum only, since that is the only place were one can actually attempt to claim that someone has agreed to it. It might still be hard to actually prove that someone that initially agreed to it is also the one making a post for example. But that is another story of course.... :)

11. Dark Knight

Dark Knight IncGamers Member

Banned trolls, flamers and spammers constitue a "select few"?

There are some large parts that you have missed off from this story, and it has been told in a very biased and innacurate way.

As an example thing missed off, during part of this debacle, did not one of these "select few"; one of the old PvP forum moderators, happen to make a post directing angry masses to Elly's home address.

I'm curious about this topic and I'd like to see the laws pertaining to it.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated!

Its also interesting to note that when last a "curious visitor" (ex-banned guy) brought up this topic, it came to light that there had been no actual official requests for specific guides to be taken down, and that the admins were inviting emails from anyone who wanted their guides to be taken down.

The purposes behind you making this thread may not have been noticed by many, but you haven't fooled me. :grrr:

Or to put it another way: why did you decide to make a post now, months after this "event", and why are you interested?

12. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

Ehhh, there are allready a few good links above. The one at http://www.copyright.gov/ would lead you to, among other things, the actual law on copyright for USA for example. If you need it for some other country, it is probably best to say which one. I can provide you a link to the swedish copyright law for example but not other countries (any more than doing a normal search, on say google, first, but then, so can anyone). Be sure to also read sites that tries to explain copyright as well. It is not always easy to understand the laws and it can be even harder to actually interpret it correctly making it easy to missunderstand it. One good site in my opinion for this would be the following:

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Finally, in addition to the actual copyright law, it doesn't hurt to know the basics of for example contract laws but start with copyright laws it is really not that hard :)