Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"International" Koran Burning Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amra, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

"International" Koran Burning Day

Am I the only one who thinks this is getting far too much press?

"The leader of a tiny US church says he is determined to burn copies of the Koran on September 11, despite pleas from the White House, the military, the Vatican and Angelina Jolie."

Burning the flag of the United States of America is okay but burning the Koran is not? :scratchchin:

There are so many angles to this story that it's hard to keep up.

2. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Re: "International" Koran Burning Day

[​IMG]

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

You're right, they're making a big deal out of one man's local stupidities. It could have been just left alone, but instead media chose to make headlines.

Sure, in the middle east we can assume things equivalent to these happen every day, but it isn't really needed to bring that book-burning mentality over here imo.

Another interesting fact is that Rev. Terry Jones looks just like a mix of Walter Matthau and Hulk Hogan...

[​IMG]
    +
    http://1.bp.************/_FjCOXgEf1og/So3RBiEnSuI/AAAAAAAAAO8/AsAEr3biGBI/s400/hulk-hogan.jpg
    =
    [​IMG]

:whistling:

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Angelina Jolie? Mentioning her in that context somehow turns this into a mockery of the issue :azn:

This is getting exactly the amount of press which society deserves to receive. A lot of people are hot for sensations, like idiots burning books and other idiots blowing up things and people in return, so the press is naturally digging out and blowing up the issue.

I'm surprised how easy it still is to cause reactions by overzealous people... and that's not just religious extremists on both sides, but a lot of other people as well. How easily certain people can be manipulated, amazing!

I guess the risk of being the target of a terrorist attack might change from 0.00001% to 0.0001% now, but I think I will simply not cross the road tomorrow while the traffic light is red, that should be more than enough to compensate it.

I for myself think that the Islam is often practiced in a dense and stupid way, but if Christians who are just as silly insist on making use of their constitutional rights, so what? I expect them to obey the US law as well when somebody burns their bible in public (they probably have their own translation of it). We will see then what will happen to their Christian "love your enemies" maxime.

OMG, you're right!

OK, what does that mean?

I thought at first that he might be the father of Lemmy Kilmister.

5. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Burning either is "okay" in the sense of free speech. However, in the "Is this a good idea?" category, one of those actions is likely to inflame violence against our troops overseas, and the other is not.

Much like the mosque idea is "okay" in the sense of free exercise of religion, but in the "Is this a good idea?" category, it fails miserably if the goal is to promote mutual tolerance between religions.

6. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

The Al-Qaeda propaganda machine have tried to promote our war on terrorism as a war on Islam. Burning the Koran helps Al-Qaeda achieve its goal.

Good job Terry Jones. Because of him, terrorist recruitment will likely increase this quarter.

I wish some of these jackasses live in the real world.

7. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

Our euroatlantic part of the world grants anybody the freedom to burn a book.
    Flags of our allies (US, Israel) are being burnt almost on daily basis. And anything christian including books could be a crime in some countires so again these thing go to the fire.

Why in the world does anybody care about obscure mini-church trying to burn a book?

Are we going let ourselves be threatened again by people who do not grant us the same rights we do grant them?
    We are constantly being told we must understand that not all muslims are against the west, only the radical ones. I would expect the same from most of the muslims, to distinguish between us normal guys and the radical christians.
    Sadly most of the rioters that damaged "western" property over the globe due to the prophet cartoon were the normal guys :(

8. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

I'll take it as a birthday gift. In my (limited and uninterested) view of religion, there is stupid and there is violent and stupid. Islam is one of the latter and deserves to be eliminated or at least ridiculed.

9. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

And the US Attorney General, Eric Holder, called the idea "idiotic and dangerous".
    But organiser, Pastor Terry Jones said: "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam."

If the goal was to send a clear message to the radical element of Islam, what about the rest of the muslim community? People would be up in arms if someone had a Bible burning, and that would almost certainly lead to violence on domestic soil.

When someone attacks your belief system, you're bound to get defensive to say the least. Desecrating a Holy Relic will lead to a much larger response.

It definitely sounds like the little congregation is enjoying the press - but it will definitely come at a cost. Nothing says America hates Islam as imagery of Americans throwing Korans into a bonfire. Regardless of what's done elsewhere, America prides itself on being "above" that.

It's ironic how the actions of a small group of people will make the rest look "evil".

10. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

*sigh*

and this is why people hate America because we look like religious zealots who fear anything and anyone who does not worship "OUR" God.

this is what turns me off because it is okay to burn a Koran and perhaps anything else Muslim, but it is not okay to burn a Bible or the cross? it is "devilish and demonic". do you not think those people are not gonna get pissed as well? oh, they aren't Christians, so it doesn't matter? it is hypocritical, prideful, and immature.

p.s. i thought this was reading " 'International' KOREAN Burning Day." >.>

11. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

"Leopold Stotch Re"
    Please cite any major religious figure, politician, or commentator who has expressed anything like that position.

- - -

The following is what I find troubling about this whole situation.

1). Religious figure "A" decides to go ahead with an action that the majority of the people in the United States find "rabble rousing". The President and most liberal politicians and commentators cite the 1st amendment legality of the action and avoid commenting on how the action should not happen because, while legal, the majority of people consider the action to be a slap in the face. Religious figure "B" decides to go ahead with an action the majority of the people in the United States find "rabble rousing". The President and most liberal politicians and commentators cite the 1st amendment legality of the action BUT strongly condemn the action.

2). Many liberal politicians and commentators imply or explicitly state that the only reason that most of the people object to the action proposed by religious figure "A" is bigotry. No one makes the same claim about the people who object to the action proposed by religious figure "B".

3). Many liberal commentators and politicians publicly state that the objection to the action proposed by religious figure "A" is indicative of a rising prejudice of people who follow the same religion as "A". This, in spite of the fact that government statistics show no increase in any action against that religious group since a minor short-lived rise right after 9/11. Acts against that religion pale in comparison to acts against Judaism. The media, seemingly to justify the concerns of these liberals, highlights the most recent action of a very minor religious leader with no affiliation to any major religious group. The timing of this exposure is interesting since "B" has a long history of taking other similar rabble-rousing actions that received no media attention.

4). The biggest troubling thing in this thread is the hypocrisy of many of the posters. They condemn people for lumping all Muslims together -- stating that the Muslims behind the recent acts of terror represent only a small percentage of all Muslims. In the next breath they lump all religions and religious people together -- with some even going as far as to say that the only reason that Christians aren't taking the same actions is due to the lack of the ability to do so.

12. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

@KillerAim

Well Said.

13. SonataArctica

SonataArctica IncGamers Member

*facepalm*

Just another brick in the wall of religious segregation.

14. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Some stain on the human race decides to lead his borderline-cult followers in some new act of xenophobic incendiary bull**** and the entire country has to not only hear about it, but take sides and actually have to care? No, thanks. This guy can take part in his backwards, lunatic hobbies if he wants to, but I'll go ahead and use my time to focus on more important things, like if I want orange peanut butter crackers or brown.

Oh, and I lol'ed at his intended message. A warning to radical Muslims? What do you think you are, you window-licking moron? I wouldn't doubt that right now, there is a Saudi doppelganger of me wishing that some of his countrymen would stop planning bombings so that his country, not to mention his religion, could be allowed the same level of common decency and respect others receive.
    This blithering idiot in who-gives-a-damn Florida is deliberately offending 1.5 billion people, just to spite an impossibly small number of them. It's is almost, almost enough to make you wish something would happen, just so that dumb***es like him would possibly see the consequences of their actions*.

Bah.

And I know what you'll say: Muslims do mean things to Christians... So that makes it alright? As long as you've been wronged, you can wrong someone back? That's a great way of looking at it. So if you bomb us, we're allowed to piss you off to try and get you to do it again? I guess that is fine and dandy when you live in backwoods Florida, but I would imagine that those in the Green Zone wouldn't be so excited. Or possibly those who used to know someone in New York, or at the Pentagon, or a field in Pennsylvania? Anyone with sense would know that if there's a bee hive in the tree you don't throw rocks at it and dare them to come out. Unless they live in Crazytown, USA and drive around in a racecar made of chocolate, like this mustachioed waste of time.

*: I do not mean that I want to see anyone hurt over this. This idiocy doesn't even deserve a second mention, much less any violence. I simply mean that if something did happen, like an increase in violence in Afghanistan, maybe this "church" would realize that actions have consequences, and maybe refrain from such stupendous acts of stupid in the future. But if anyone dying is needed for them to learn their lesson, I pray they remain ignorant forever.

15. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

@killeraim

Who is this figure B you speak of?

When you post a sign that says "Islam is the Devil" and claim you're actions are only targeted towards a specific group of radicals, its pretty apparent where someone stands. It be like me saying I don't smoke while smoking a cigarette. If there was no bias against Islam, there would be no burning taking place, as you would not wish to offend the rest of the Muslim population in order to send a message to a group of radicals.

If Religious figure B "exists", who is his target audience? Is it perhaps in a country unsafe for journalism? One can believe that people burn American flags in another country on a daily basis - doesn't make it a fact. Can provide adequate evidence of figure "B" - multiple reliable sources that can be verified? Figure A can be verified through a number of media outlets. If you're going to say all media outlets save Fox are leftist - your stance is already obvious.

Statistics can't reveal everything. Judaism has faced persecution. But to claim it's faced far worse in America compared to Islam is just deluding yourself. When was the last time a large group of people was scene screaming at a person just because he looked Jewish?

As for hypocrisy, I would say you're simply reading things to fit your interpretation.

"In the next breath they lump all religions and religious people together -- with some even going as far as to say that the only reason that Christians aren't taking the same actions is due to the lack of the ability to do so."

As for lumping all religions and religious people together, not sure where you're seeing this aside from the commentary of how religion in general can create barriers between people. As for lumping Christians together, with as many variants as they are, I can guarantee a majority would be upset if you were to burn their Bibles openly in public. Expecting another faith to react differently to having their Holy Book burned openly in public is ludicrous.

We can't control the actions of people in other countries. But we also don't have to give proof to stereotypical beliefs either. In a war of propaganda, an otherwise small protest can have huge ramifications.

16. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

KillerAim - well written... you should post more.

17. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

pancakeman:
    The points to focus on are (1) why would the major media, the president, etc., give any exposure to an obvious nut-bag's rantings whose 50 followers could barely fill a classroom and (2) why now when he has a history of saying similar outrageous things? What agenda is being forwarded here?

People are angry with him because of the potential increase violence due to his actions. I understand and agree with that sentiment. But where is the outrage against the media who gave this piss-ant such national exposure?

- - -

SeCKSEgai:

Is this an attempt to be funny or do you really not know who I'm referring to?

Let's let the facts talk for themselves. In 2008, according to the FBI
    I'd say having hate crimes happen against one group almost 9 times more than another is "far worse". Don't you agree?

You ARE trying to be funny! First you say that you don't see any evidence of posters lumping all religions together and then you directly proceed to do just that!!

A significant portion of Muslims don't just become piqued when someone insults the Koran or Mohammad, they actively try to kill that person or applaud those who do make the attempt. Saying that a Christian's anger when their faith's religious symbols are intentionally ridiculed or destroyed is the same thing is proof positive of point I was making.

Even this idiot Christian minister only called for a symbolic response to the situation in New York. He didn't call for any direct harm to happen to the Imam involved. Do you want to bet me that I can't link to article after article where Muslims threatened violence to Christians if the burning takes place?

Note: There IS one correction I need to make. Most of my comments refer to posts made in the other thread on this topic.

18. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Oh, I'm totally with you there. This hair-lipped sack of **** should never have been allowed to get national exposure. He should still be in some swamp, hopefully getting eaten by alligators.

19. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I concur; Killer is sorely needed around here.

20. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

Really? I beg to differ.