Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Interesting find for Lightning Sorcs

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by GITO86, Mar 17, 2004.

1. GITO86

GITO86 IncGamers Member

Interesting find for Lightning Sorcs

now as we all know, synergies are pretty much impossible to max for lightning/chain lightning. but while i was mfing i came across a yummy item. Baezils Vortex unique knout has lvl 15 nova charges, which can be taken advantage of when building a sorc in the same way necros use marrowalks. if you put 0 points into nova, and equip this, you will gain the synergies of lvl 15 nova. that adds 120% dmg to lightning, and 60% dmg to chain lightning. the only downside to this i see is that you lose fcr, and u cant put any points in ts (OH NO! lol). but with this, you can max nova, lightning, chain lightning, and lightning mastery, while having the 15 skill points in nova from the knout. pretty much its 95 skillpoints for the price of 80, which leaves room for points in warmth, prereqs, cold armor, etc, which is needed :D

of course i find this out hours after i trade my 10 lit charms ;p

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hmm some calculation should be done here, to see if that is worth loosing like +3 skills from another weapon (like occy).
    I have been in search for all those charges items in a while, but i didnt think of that one! Thx for poiting out :D
    Going to get this for my lightning sorc who is in exil right now at lvl84 ;)

3. LP.

LP. IncGamers Member

im not an expert by any means but i thought that +skill items dont grant any applicable synergy bonus, to get the synergy bonus you have to sink a point

is this true? - because it will help both me and GIT086 to know the answer

thanks

4. c64flash

c64flash IncGamers Member

That's true. Thats why people call it the Marrowwalk bug, and now apparently we have Baezil's vortex bug.

5. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Any item with charges in a specific synergy skill will give the synergy bonus as if the charges were hard points. This only works when NO points have been put in the specific skill.

Marrowwalk is notoriously know for this "undocumented feature" because the slvl 33 Bone Prison charges give a bigger synergy then 20 hard points could ever do. This would give the "Boner" necro a 1k damage boost in Bone Spear and Bone Spirit, which is actually quite something.

6. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

like anyone would put points in nova :lol:

what are the requirements on the vortex
    I might even have one stashed away :D

with 20 in each chargedbolt, lightning, chainlightning, and lightning mastery and with a 15 slvl synergy bonus from bazels vortex we get:

20-5552 lightning at level 20
    12-3398 chain lightning at level 20
    -----------------------------------
    33-30435 lightning at level 40
    19-11489 chain lightning at level 40

now can someone calculate a perfect 20% lightning escutas temper with +3 skills, and we can see which is better.

7. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

The 15 points you save aren't placed on any useful spots anyway, plus you'll also lose +3 skills, faster cast rate, mana, 1000+ damage thunderstorm etc.

Far from worth it. Especially since you can raise your actual synergy level higher than the charges grant. What else to max anyway, it's not like a secondary attack will do you any good with <20 pts......

@ meli: only works with no points invested ;)
    @ pent: lvl 43 with 2 synergies is about 30k too, assuming lvl 1 nova it's 29k. Level 20 nova makes it 40k, which is achieved at level 94.

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Thx soep, didnt remember i had TS on that build :surprise:

9. GITO86

GITO86 IncGamers Member

actually, there are advantages to using baezils. although you may not get 105 fcr, 63 fcr is easily reached with magefist, arachnids, and viper (or ormus + 10 fcr ammy).

and there are more skills to d2 than attacks, i dont understand why youd mention a secondary attack ;p. lets see, theres the 4 points you can use to put a point in shiver armor, a few points in teleport never hurts, as well as a bunch of points in warmth. its always been my experience that high lvl warmth is better than a gigantic mana pool any day. all of these make you a MUCH more effective sorceress in both pvp and pvm. as for ts, its overrated imo, i wouldnt mind giving it up at all (but thats just me).

and although it is very possible to max all synergies, youd have to spend FOREVER lvling to 94, and you would be quite lacking in the passives/defensive magic department.

10. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Why would you find high lvl warmth is better than a gigantic mana pool?

11. GITO86

GITO86 IncGamers Member

well first there are mana burners. lets say somehow u teleport into the middle of a pack of monsters with mana burn. high warmth and the +skills to lightning skills = easy escape, no death. with a large mana pool instead u are more likely to die.

then there is pvp. i built my first lightning sorc terribly, not paying attention to the fact that lightning and chain lightning cost a billion mana with no casting timers. constant teleport + lightning will drain your mana in long duels (the ones against good ppl). while this might be suitable for pubbies, it doesnt work that well in private duels with freaking good duelers. but thats just my opinion. a massive amount of mana regen can basically solve any problem you might have with mana, whereas a large mana pool doesnt.

12. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

You have to compare the 15 extra in synergy points to what you get from the other non standard lightning build item, crescent moon (um shael tir) rune word with its -35% enemy light resist. The minimum increase in damage is going to be 30% over what a facet in the knout would do

lvl 15 'free' nova:
    20-5552 lightning at level 20 - avg 2786
    12-3398 chain lightning at level 20 - avg 1705
    33-30435 lightning at level 40 - avg 15234
    19-11489 chain lightning at level 40 - avg 5754

enemy light resist with 0 in nova:
    15-4320 lightning at level 20 - avg 2167 * 1.3 = 2818
    9-2761 chain lightning at level 20 - avg 1385 * 1.3 = 1800
    25-23672 lightning at level 40 - avg 11849 * 1.3 = 15403
    16-9330 chain lightning at level 40 - avg 4673 * 1.3 = 6075

So worst case against 0 resist mobs with no points put in nova, you are doing more damage with the -enemy resist option. Trust me when I say the numbers get much more in favor of crescent moon rune word as enemy resist goes up.
    Also note that Im a level 93 sorc with lvl 14 nova (will theoretically max at lvl 99), so the knout would do absolutely nothing for me.

Note: from other calculations I have done, crescent moon outdamages escuta by a couple percent against a 0 resist mob but its around 30-50 percent in favor of crescent moon against high resist mobs like mephisto and diablo clone.

Caveat: In PVP, if lightning resists are stacked too high, all the -enemy lightning resist in the world will not do a thing. This is not an issue for PVM.

PS. if you have other options for reducing enemy lightning resist (such as griffons eye), the knout begins looking better, but you still will never reach the damage a cresecent moon with maxed real synergies is able to do.

13. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

The actual mana regeneration rate is no only determined by your mana regeneration rate, but also your mana pool size. Basically if you regenerate 10 mana per second with 1000 mana pool, you can regenerate 20 mana per second with 2000 mana pool, given that both has the same mana regen.

14. nck

nck IncGamers Member

might be good for lvl'ing ;-)
    nothing more as i see it

15. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

but *what* if you did a lightning sorceress and wanted to max telekinesis for maxed synergy with energy shield, then you would need more points, so the nova synergy makes alot of sense.
    and since you will be having mostly all +lightning skills, it will help energy shield dramatically, since all you would need is memory staff with +3 to energy shield, letting you precast it at slvl 40 with only around 5 hard points invested in it.