Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Interest in a comprehensive time traveller's guide?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by helvete, May 13, 2016.

1. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Title. I'd be willing to write one, focusing on cookie-cutter tactics and cheesy tactics, all aimed to get the most powerful gear available without using methods deemed illegal by this community. I would cover one patch at a time, chronologically, skipping the ones with no obvious "hax" items/tactics, while making the ones with very few goals as short as practical. I'd do it in this order:

EDIT: Draft for preliminary guide is in post #32 which will be edited as more information becomes available.

Preliminary:
    - explanation about time travel, some short tech stuff, why keep useless items in one patch to forward to another, etc
    - progression guide; when to move on to the next patch, and when to go back

Classic:
    1.00 - long, probably the longest
    1.06b - short

Expansion:
    1.07 - long, heavily based on information already available, which however needs updating
    1.08 - short
    1.09b - medium, explaining in short some popular builds and cheesy level techniques
    1.10a - short, as the sole purpose of playing this patch is to obtain 2skill BKWBs
    1.10s - short, as the sole purpose of playing this patch is to obtain overpowered runewords

In short, I'm not planning on leaving this great community any time soon, and I've been wasting countless hours searching for the information I'm trying to compile, so that others may get the most out of this game while spending a minimum of time googling, and as much time as possible just enjoying the various aspects of this amazing game and its transformations throughout the versions.

I do, however, need input as I go. Years ago, when I first started reading guides here, editing posts wasn't allowed except during a 60 minute period after posting, which leads to a lot of the information I want to get together in one place to be spread out over a vast amount of posts. Even the 1.07 news, info and gossip thread would take several days to read through. Fortunately, this changed. It is now possible to edit any post made by oneself, and thus, I should be able to create a comprehensive guide, where all which needs to be read will be the very first posts.

I won't do it just for myself, though. I call upon every time traveler in this forum to come forward with their interest, and any information you might want added, changed or rewritten. Are you with me?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. coju

coju IncGamers Member

I do recall seeing guides for these patches, forumites venturing in and requesting advice with grand write-ups concerning their adventures, general inquiries concerning time-traveling, stickies, and/or more.
    Yes, it is spread out quite a bit, but I bet by pulling information from just the past 6 years there could be a quality resource put together.

it seems you already have information. Perhaps putting the info, or at least the links to the threads you have, in this thread would be helpful.

3. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

I like it. Are you still currently in 1.00 or have you leapt yet, Scott Bakula?

I would be willing to participate, offer any insights I could (like our 1.00 accidental discussion thread) and am HIGHLY interested in a time travel guide written practically, instead of theoretically.

And I'd be willing to go through the patches simultaneously to help along.

4. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

What the heck, if I'm going to time travel, might as well do it with friends!

Elly likes this.
  5. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

interested!

6. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Yes, definitely interested.

I will and hopefully can provide some thoughts with the patch I'm somewhat familiar with, 1.07. At least I should have couple of good links like WoRG's crafting guide and the list of all uniques.

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Great idea, Jae made a good summary but it is only really a starting point.

One proviso, it must contain as many time travel TV & movie references as possible.

8. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I'll begin typing it up then. Imagine the voice and accent of Londo Mollari when reading it, and you should have quite a festive time ;)

9. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

10. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

I think that's why he said "comprehensive" as that guide is rough, quick, dirty, and lacks a lot of key information.

Also as you mentioned, it starts in LoD, which isn't so terrible, but there's still fun and exciting things to do (and keep!) in Classic!

11. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Classic has the best rare boots available, and possibly rare rings/amulets too. Gems drop A LOT in classic; it's much quicker to farm ingredients for ring rolling in 1.07 than any other way I know of. Also, exploding potions can be bought, while they must drop in 1.07

12. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Interested. I didnt start playing D2 until 1.09d, maybe 4 months before 1.10 released. Id like to start from the ultra beginning.

Hmm...installing from disk takes me straight to 1.12. Disappointing

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    coju likes this.
  13. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

1.00 disk or image is required AFAIK. We're not allowed to discuss the most probable option for obtaining a 1.00 play disc and 1.07 expansion disc image, but they are out there.

coju likes this.
  14. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Although the chance that I will in fact do some time travelling is rather small, I'm definitely interested in this. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contribute anything though.

15. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I have not done any time traveling. lol...taken out of context that sounds quite an odd statement.

Does GoMule work with old versions? I first started using ATMA when I started back in 1.09. Also, I assume that going back in versions means I'll need to take my D2 disk out of storage.

Azurewrath in 1.09 was a unique crystal sword, but was changed to an elite unique phase blade in 1.10. How does Flavie handle these things? And how do those who time travel keep stashes separate (or do you)?

16. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

ya but is it worth the effort of then forwarding the ingredients? I can't remember if you can use ATMA in classic but if you have to mule manually I bet it's not at all worth the effort unless MAYBE you're farming for other stuff in classic and have absolutely nothing to start with in 1.07. Any target run in 1.07 (other than bosses I guess) will drop lots of gems (and perhaps more importantly runes/charms)

coju likes this.
  17. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

You combine the farming with leveling chars for 1.07 or 1.08, as this is very easily done in the River of Flame. Get a MP map of RoFl with a lot of maggots, join with the char(s) you want to level, clear the area around the WP so no stray monster can get there, leave character(s) to leech xp there, fill game up with other chars (in town or other acts works the best), then just drop gems in town while leveling, gold farming and gem farming at the same time. Leveling is done by leaving the big maggots and eggs alone, whilst killing everything else. I've leveled 4 sorcs from lvl 1 to lvl 50 that way in ONE game. When town is full of gems, swithch to one of the leechers and pick up 40 gems, then keep grinding.

ATMA doesn't work, but muling isn't tedious compared to finding gems in 1.07 because they are MUCH rarer there.

coju and pharphis like this.
  18. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

lol ok sounds fun. I might be 1.07 biased because once oen has set up a character capable of beating hell baal (if only once) then you can run cows with lots of characters fairly easily (also free levels from ancients)

19. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Yeah, if already set up, 1.07 cows should be fairly good. But there will still be a lot of rejoining games. In 1.00, killing the Cow King has no impact on the ability to open the red portal; any character who has the last quest completed can always open the cow level on that difficulty. This was changed in patch 1.02. The Cow King is the best way to get the uniques which are too expensive to gamble (such as Ancient Armor and Full Plate Mail). But the luxury of just joining one game, partying up and then go from lvl 1 to lvl 60 while gathering pskulls for 1.06b and tons (and I mean tons) of cube fodder for 1.07 is just too good for people to not know about.

There ARE drawbacks, though. Durability mainly, but also Hephasto. He will outrun a concorde and his attack is something around the equivalent of a wrecking ball against an egg unless you're a barb.

coju likes this.
  20. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

How do you all MP? Multiple instances?

(and does this differ when time traveling)

Last edited: May 17, 2016