Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Intelligent mercenaries?!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Nimbostratus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Intelligent mercenaries?!

Do some mercs have better AI than others, even if they're the same type? I noticed before a few times when I'd have an act 2 merc that could follow me throughout the entire maggot lair.

Though now with my new SP hammerdin, I have by far the smartest rogue merc I've ever seen (named Visala). She runs away from enemies*, snipes off some before I can even reach them, and I've seen her actually switching back and forth between two enemies to keep them in hit recovery (and thus away from her)

*I think I've seen her *actually* run once, too. Is there a separate, rarely used running animation for rogues, or was I just imagining things? :shocked:

So yeah, do certain mercenaries have better AI, and are these smarter mercs always ones with a specific name?

2. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Probably just a bit of lag and she moved faster to catch up, making it look like she was running. However, I don't think the mercs have different AI's based on names or anything like that. If she has knockback, that would explain why you saw her shooting between two different enemies, and "keeping them in hit recovery" - one would get knocked back, the other would be closer, she shoots the closest one first.

3. windwingwind

windwingwind IncGamers Member

There is running animation for rogue merc. Once I was playing classic or v1.00 (new install without LOD, can't remember which case), I got a merc for killing bloodraven, and the merc runs whenever she need to catch up with me. The running animation was disabled when I play LOD, then.

4. channimal

channimal IncGamers Member

well.. if there is a "smarter AI" for mercs.. let me know so I can send mine (act2 NM Def) to whatever merc school the smart ones went to. My dumbo will oftentimes watch me cast blizzard while mean monsters beat up on me.

5. psych

psych IncGamers Member

I believe there are 2 merc AI's

A1 and A3 (never used A3, but been told so), they use ranged attacks, so if they are attacked sometimes they spend some time running away (usually called "smart AI")

A2 and A5, these guys like the up in your face combat style, so they will always walk towards the monsters and attack them (usually called "dumb AI")

Now, some players try to be smart (they want their mercs only for auras) or are so powerful that they dominate the monsters easily (hammerdins for example) that they don't like their mercs engage combat, thus calling the A2/A5 mercs "dumb".
    But from the point of view of the merc;
    -you hired them to fight for you
    -you only gave them a melee weapon
    -1 + 1 = they run up to monsters to fight them

6. templeofnogwa

templeofnogwa IncGamers Member

I hate when my mercs keep running to a certain place, even if I tele them away, and there are no monsters around. It just makes me think, "What the hell are you doing?"

7. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Single Player doesn't have lag. =P

Nope, no knockback at all.