Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Instant Iliad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SomeCanadianGuy, Feb 18, 2004.

1. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Instant Iliad

Alright, so I'm taking a class called "World Views Antiquity." It concentrates mostly on the history of the Greeks. Today, we were talking about drama and such a bit, and our teacher asked who knew about the Iliad. Almost no one raised their hand to say they had read it, so he decided to give us a condensated version of it. This is, word for word, what he told us.

"Trojans visit Greek city and stick around for a while. Prince Paris like Helen (wif of Greek guy) and takes her back to Troy. This goes against Greek code of honor. Agamemnon, leader of rather large group of Greeks, vows to right the wrongs. Greeks get ready to head to Troy, but there's no wind to move the boats to Turkey. Priests tell him to sacrifice his daughter to the gods (more or less) to please them and get wind for sails. He kills her. Greeks go to Troy. Siege lasts 10 years. Agamemnon likes Achilles' slave girl. Takes her. Achilles stops fighting. Greeks start to lose. Beat back to ships. Greeks fear ships will be burnt. Achilles' friend dies. Achilles gets pissed and fights back Trojans. Greeks fake loss. Leave horse. Trojans take it in. Get drunk. Greeks kill everyone. Greeks go home."

Now I dunno how accurate that is, considering I've never read the real Iliad... So I'm curious. Anyone who has read it, how far off from the original thing is it?

2. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Well, I read the Iliad once when I was in about 6th grade, and again in the 9th grade. I think there was a lot more to it, however. I picked it up about a month ago, but crap I'm totally running a blank. That sounds about right tho... I usually get the Odyssey mixed up with the Iliad for some reason, however.

Girl gets stolen, Greeks get pissed, Greeks head to Troy, Greeks and Trojans fight for a long time, Greeks send in a horse, Greeks kill Trojans from the inside like dumbasses.

In any case, I'd suggest you pick up the book and read through it. It's an excellent read once you get used to the non-rhyming poeticness.

3. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Your professor gave you an incredibly simplified version (it's missing some pretty key portions also). Reading the full story would be very time consuming, so just check on the internet for a summary of some sort. There are a bunch of versions of the Iliad that float around, since some of the original was destroyed I believe, but you can probably still get a better idea of what went on in the Iliad.

4. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

To begin with, i dont think your instructor began correctly. The trojans and greeks werent just hanging out in some greek city. I believe the Iliad starts off with a contest between the three goddesses, Hera, Aphrodite, and Athena. There was a wedding of some minor characters who are not important, Thetis and Peleus IIRC. All the gods and goddesses were invited except Discord. She, having not been invited decided to throw a cog into the wedding. She constructed a beautiful golden apple inscribed with the saying "For the Fairest". SHe went to the wedding and just threw the apple in with the rest of the celebration/feasts whatever. Of course, the ambiguous For the Fairest is hotly debated. The contest of who is the fairest finally boils down to Hera, Aphrodite and Athena. Zeus is to be the judge. However, Zeus, not wanting to anger those 3 says he wont judge. He picks a mortal, Paris of Troy to choose. Of course, all the goddesses promise something to Paris. I forget what Hera and Athena promise in exchange for his vote for them. Aphrodite promises him the most beautiful woman in the world, who happens to be Helen, wife of King Menelaus of Sparta. Naturally, Paris chooses Aphrodite and receives Helen as his prize. Getting Helen back from the Trojans is what launches the whole Trojan war campaign.

Achilles fights again. I believe it is Odysseus, Phoenix(Achillies childhood mentor) and Ajax who convince him to fight again. I believe Agammemnon gives back the girl, named Briseis, and that helps Achilles to fight. It has been a long time since i went over that part, so im not 100% sure about that.

Achilles dies...When he was a wee lad, his mother Thetis?? dipped him in dragon's blood. She held him by his heel when she dipped him. Being dipped in dragons blood meant that every area touched by the blood could not be penetrated by a sharp object. Problem is, his heel was never covered by the blood, hence its vulnerability and the term, Achilles Heel.

Achilles actually gets shot in the heel with an arrow by Paris. It is Achilles friend, Patroklus who continues the fight. He assumes Achilles' armor and fights as Achilles to keep up the morale of the greeks for a while.

Other than that, youve got pretty much the basic storyline down of The Iliad although an incredible amount is missing, obviously. The story, along with its sequel The Odyssey makes for a great read. Even better when you read them in Latin and translate the thing for yourself, but thats very time consuming even if you do know what youre doing with Latin.

5. publius

publius IncGamers Member

That summary is pretty accurate, but it leaves out so much. I'm completely serious when I say the Iliad makes for a great read, should you ever decide to read it.

Also, the Iliad actually starts media res during the 9th year of the war, when Agammemnon and Achilles quarrel, and ends with the funeral of Paris. The fight between the three goddesses and Paris stealing Helen is alluded to in the story, and the rest about the Trojan horse is the work of later authors. Achilles is also mortal in the Iliad, he only becomes mostly immortal in later stories.

Edit:
    I believe Patroclus dons Achilles armor while Achilles is still sulking in his tent, and drives off the Trojan assault on the ships. He however then tries to attack Troy, and is killed by Hector in the attempt. Patroclus's death is what finally brings Achilles to end his quarrel with Agammemnon, and begin fighting again.

I also think the originals were written in ancient Greek? You maybe thinking of the Aeneid, which was written in Latin.

6. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

Yeah, thats correct now that i think about it some more. Sorry about the wrong info. I need to get back and read it...its just too good to forget so much of it.

As far as the originals, they may have been written in Greek, but they were still written in Latin at somepoint. Same as the bible except Hebrew greek latin english to whatever other languages it was in.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

[LAZY]just watch "Troy"[/LAZY]

8. mouschi

mouschi IncGamers Member

He was dipped in a river by his mother, not dragon's blood. Ajax and Odysseus and one other guy (almost positive his name wasn't Phoenix) left without being able to convince Achilles to fight again, despite the fact that they would surely lose without him. Instead, Achilles sends his friend Patroklus to fight in his place, and he ends up being killed by Hector. Hector takes Achilles' armor as his trophy and continues to kick Aneaen ***. Only after Achilles hears of his friend's death does he agree to join the fray, and only for the reason of avenging Patroklus. So with Athena's help and new divine armor he manages to kill Hector and eventually raze the city.

IIRC it is actually an Amazon woman that manages to hit Achilles. Paris never fights Achilles. In fact, I'm pretty sure he never fights.

9. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

PNAC, neocons, Cheney, Bush, warmongers, OIL!!!!!11!!11!!!

Oh, you said Iliad. I thought you said Ilad.

Sorry Ilad, I couldn't resist ;)

10. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

I always thought Orlando Bloom was perfect for the role.

11. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

YDRC. It was the god Apollo, guiding an arrow shot by Paris. Paris does fight once or twice, including a duel with Menelaus (Helen's real husband) to see who gets to keep Helen. Just before Paris loses, some god or another sweeps him back to Troy, fight unfinished.

The actual text of the Iliad starts with Agamemnon being forced to give up his slave girl in recompense for insulting Apollo, taking Achilles's slave girl to make himself feel better, and thereby pissing him off so bad he takes himself out of the fight until Agamemnon realizes what an idiot he's being. It ends with Achilles returning the dead body of Hector (greatest hero Troy had to offer) to King Priam of Troy, after treating it like garbage in revenge for the death of Patroklos.

I have an unabridged copy of the Iliad right here right now in my backpack. Anything else?

12. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Regarding Achilles, I believe he was dipped in the River Styx, not dragons blood.

13. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Steel,

I'm going to let that go ... for now :p

Back on topic...Too bad they no longer have the old silver-age comic books called Classics Illustrated. Those old comics were unlike any others. They were about twice as thick as normal (for the times) and you could read them cover to cover in about 40-45 minutes. They presented the theme, plot and were nicely finished. I read Homer's masterpiece from one of those rags in the 5th grade.

The real epic I read much later ...

14. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

They have a very good comic-book version of The Hobbit now. The binding is ****, but the content is excellent. Gollum is reaaally creepy.