Installation Problem

Nightfire05

Diabloii.Net Member
Installation Problem

My cousin is having a problem installing Diablo 2 on her computer. We're using my discs, because all we're going to do is IP games, but when we go to install LoD, we have a problem. The normal installation tells you to insert the D2 Play Disc, which we do, then it continues about halfway, at which point it prompts for the LoD disc. Well, after that, it'll go to about 2/3 finished, and prompt AGAIN for the LoD disc, even though it's already in the drive. Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Nightfire05

Diabloii.Net Member
I've cleaned the disc several times now, with no real sign of improvement. I'm thinking that scratching may be the problem, but hoping it's not.

Just in case it is, however, is there any kind of alternative method to installing LoD?

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
Does she have any problems installing other games? I have a similar error installing LoD on my machine because my CD drive has really deteriorated and is very poor quality, and cannot read certain parts of discs.

Method0ne

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfire05 said:
Not that I've seen yet, no. She installed LoD fine the last time we tried, about 3 months or so ago.
Might be worthwhile running a cd lens-cleaner through her cd/dvd drive to see if that helps any.

Chances are it may not, but it's worth a try.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
You can try making a copy of the CD and using that to install. Most copy tools (ie. software) have minor 'data repair' abilities, if it's minor scratches it may work.

I've also heard that toothpaste ( :eek: ) can be used to repair scratched discs, but that sounds like a load of crap to me. Try it at your own risk.

Edit: the advantage of the copy approach is it will probably give you an idea if the problem's on the CD, as the copy process will likely start to lag around the time you hit bad sectors.

killmesh

Diabloii.Net Member
tooth paste will actually scratch at the surface
what you need to do is take some wax thatyou wax a car with and buff the scratches out of the disk (buffing= going in little circles until the scratches arent visable)