Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Instability = gone. Arcane Power!

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Flux, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Instability = gone. Arcane Power!

Good new Jay Wilson interview from Gamescom, and here's what he said about the Wizard's resource system.

For the Wizard, we could not get a version of Instability that we liked. The last version involved buff and debuff that would hit the wizard whenever she went unstable. And it was a pretty severe buff. It doubled all her damage taken while increasing her critical hit damage. And it just didn’t affect how people played. They didn’t notice it, and when they did it didn’t change what they were doing. That’s not the point of a resource. It needs to be managed to change the way that you play. So now it’s called Arcane Power and it’s not dissimilar to mana, in a lot of ways. It regenerates very quickly, but it doesn’t grow over time. It’s a flat amount. A lot of passive skills that enhance it.

So, all of our past discussions on what sorts of buffs/debuffs would make Insta work are...

Not too much detail about the resource from this new quote (which is a rough transcript I did very quickly; if someone wants to get his precise wording, that would be great). So it's a pool that doesn't increase from stats, but that regens very quickly, and has a lot of skills that increase the regen.

Why would you need multiple skills to increase the regen? Warmth was plenty in D2. I'd guess the regen options aren't just from time. Probably you can tie regen to kills registered, critical hits scored, and other stuff?

Thoughts?

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Instability = gone. Arcane Power!

Personally, I"m sorry to hear that Instability's gone. I liked the idea of "More vulnerable and more blasty," but apparently it didn't work in the game. As Jay said, they wanted something to change the gameplay style, and no one changed it.

You could complain about the continuing ****ing noobization of D3, and how nothing can go into the game if a 6 y/o can't master it within 5 minutes of picking up a joystick, but.... well, actually, let's ****ing complain about that, for a bit. In fact, lets make an entire ****ing OT thread about how all the potentially great, subtle, skill-based features in D3 seem to get ****ing removed since they're not ****ing user friendly enough to easily transfer to ****ing consoles.

Or not. Hell with it. They're doing the game style they want to do. It's been a lot of fun each time I've gotten to play it. Let's just hope there's still some skill to be used in this shiny button-masher.

3. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Wow, Flux. :p

To speak to your point, I don't see what's more "noob" than mashing a potion button or not even having to if you have enough leech and 1 skill to spam over and over and over.
    But with that said, I don't like this system, to be quite honest.

It seems like there are too many variables that would make it easy to exploit Arcane Power, and any improvement in it over time would be strictly linear simply due to the nature of it.

Like a sorc in D2 if they couldn't use mana potions. To a point, you are gimped in the early game compared to the other classes (in theory) but late game what's to stop you from stacking Willpower or whatever, certain types of gear, maybe certain types of class-specific items and stacking this one thing so high that the resource, if not infinite, becomes irrelevant?
    I just find it very bland and exploitable. A player like me will quickly break it. Quickly exploit it. Especially considering that the beta will not entail the entire game nor high levels (not confirmed, but c'mon now, simple logic).
    Compared to this, as I've stated elsewhere, I'd prefer just straight mana plus chance to drop mana globes or something.

4. Drytchnath

Drytchnath IncGamers Member

I'm more in line with Flux's sentiments over Instability canned in favor of Arcane Power a.k.a. Mana 2.0.

It feels like Instability was doomed to fail by the dev's own short-sighted views on it. Instead of doing some cheesy buff/debuff make it truly interesting! Make Disintegration Beams warp, twist or randomly lash out in different directions. Make Arcane Orbs spit out smaller orbs (that do small damage) as it flies, making the primary orb get smaller as it loses bits of itself due to being unstable.

The only problem I can foresee with suggestions like those is that they do what skill runes are supposed to do: modify the skills. So now we're stuck with a different form of Mana instead that will potentially require tons of passives to make more manageable. Yay.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still have a Wizard be my 2nd character (1st will be barb), it's just disappointing to see an opportunity for a truly unique resource mechanic be scrapped b/c it didn't fit into the KISS scheme.

5. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

From the way Jay talked about Instability its not shocking to hear it got changed. If all you get is a buff and de-buff the more you cast its not going to change the way you play.

One true way to change the way people play is to have something like a backlash system. Players would play in two different ways, some might play it safe and unleash their built up backlash before it hurts them, while some would push the envelope to see how much damage they could deal.

For anyone that don't know what a backlash system is. Its a system where a meter of some kind fills every time you cast certain spells. Some spells will add more to the meter then others (this would be how you control spamming of high lvl skills) The higher the meter the greater the chance you will take Backlash damage from your own skills. Backlash damage would be a % of the damage done to the target. The benefit of having a higher meter would be a greater chance of doing a crit. The meter will decrease over time if no spells are cast, and there can also be a few skills that can only be used once you have some backlash meter filled. but when you use them your meter will be fully emptied.

This system would force players to play different. cause they would have to be careful not to over do it. There could be a few ways to visual show your building the meter. One could be like the Assassin from D2.

6. Risingred

Because nothing says fun like not being able to predict how your skill will work when you need it?

7. Drytchnath

Drytchnath IncGamers Member

Then take care not to let your Wizard get too unstable?

Doesn't matter anymore since Arcane Power is here.

8. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

I'm not really getting this...
    A wizard is the completely studied one, he studies spells untill perfection, than he goes on learning the something new.
    A sorcerer only takes up (knowledgewise) that which grants him more power and neglects to think ahead about consequences.

Now if a sorcerer was unstable magicwise, I would understand. But a wizard...?

9. MonsterOfTheLake

MonsterOfTheLake IncGamers Member

Am I the only one who would be perfectly happy quaffing mana potions like we did in D1 and D2? Seriously, what was wrong with mana potions?

10. Risingred

Why bother even having a resource then if you can nullify it with cheap vendor items and common drops?

Let's think about that for a minute.
    "Take care not to let your Wizard get too unstable" means don't use your resource, even if you need to drop your globe to the bottom in a boss fight, a tough pack of monsters, etc. Low on resource? Better not teleport out of there. Don't try any defensive maneuvers. Gotcha.
    What other class gets punished for having low resources besides the obvious bit about having low resources?

11. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

Still don't know enough nuts and bolts about this to make a definitive opinion. His reasoning sounds solid; the system they were trying wasn't doing what they had hoped it would do. People didn't bother looking or caring about instability after awhile, not unlike mana on high level D2 characters. Hopefully, they can play around w/ Arcane power to make it a little more interesting; simplest would be to make spells do more damage the more AP you have, giving you a very good incentive to conserve power. Passives or runes could add crit chance, lower the damage penalty for lower AP, increase regeneration, give a chance for AP gain on crit, all sorts of things. There. It's more interesting than mana, changes up the way the wizard plays and give a priority/rotation system depending on build. As for defense and controls, those should just be cooldown based, separate from AP altogether.

Edit: Reasoning on cooldown, not AP based defensive skills. Offense is proactive, defense is generally reactive. You shouldn't be "punished" w/ lower damage potential for using your defensive skills correctly. Of course, this could all be pissing in the wind given Blizz's penchant for changing everything and iterating forever.

12. MonsterOfTheLake

MonsterOfTheLake IncGamers Member

Let's get rid of health pots too then, right?

The health and mana orbs worked perfectly for all characters. There is absolutely no need to be screwing around with them. If the Wizard is too easy to play, it's easy enough to nerf by setting mana costs higher or percentage-based.

It's not broken and it doesn't need to be fixed. Health and mana orbs for everyone!

13. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

I for one feel Arcane Power will stop the blizzard like spam from D2, as Riningred said "Take care not to let your Wizard get too unstable" means don't use your resource so u might not have what u need when u need it the most if u spam. In turn I feel its more of a balance all around.

14. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I liked Instability as a philosophical concept describing the unnatural unstable powers of (too much) magic use, but i knew such a concept wouldn't translate well or easy within a game, certainly not one where balance is more then key, namely critical. I could see the concept work as sort of a expansive gimmicky fighting system for a Devil May Cry kinda action game though.

Anyways, i don't really "un-like" (hihi) the idea of Arcane Power assuming that the regeneration rate will have a MASSIVE effect and you can't just get away with not taking this fact into account at all (Unlike mana/energy in D2). If the system is deep enough then i can see people having to really push it to get everything out of Arcane Power if they want to "spam" high Arcane Power draining spells at a reasonable rate. I'm talking about people having to make real decisions as to make their characters weaker/more defensless/less safe/less durable/more expensive for the added benefit of having a high Arcane Power regeneration, namely being able to spam spells faster without drying out Arcane Power.
    Blizzard can even go as far as to make the system complex enough so that when your Arcane Power is low/high it regenerates slow/fast depending on certain (customizable, and important to more dedicated hardcore players) factors. Hell, Arcane Power could even have an innate FCR effect. I want to see items with much "Arcane Power" being as important and sought after for Sorceresses as for example "IAS" is for melee characters. Here's to hoping Blizzard can figure it out.

15. Arkadier

Arkadier IncGamers Member

I like that one a lot, although it's extremely similar to WoW Arcane Mages' Passive Mastery:

Mana Adept: Arcane will deal damage based how much mana the mage has. For example, Arcane mages will do much more damage at 100% mana than at 50% mana. If they begin to get low on mana, they will likely want to use an ability or mechanic to bring their mana up to increase their damage.

Still, it's a very nice way to force wizards to keep an eye on their Arcane Power if they want to perform well.

16. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

I dont think lower AP should = less dmg on spells, but AP it meant more to keep an eye on it to limit spamming, if u spam to often u might lose ur teleport escape or a mirror image detraction to stay alive.

17. Sylvanite

Sylvanite IncGamers Member

I like the idea of Arcane Power....a quickly regenerating resource with a very finite, hard cap. I think it would work better if it played like...the less AP you have left, the slower it regens. So if you dry yourself up by spamming, it takes longer to fill the bulb than if you strategically throw down a few spells here and there and let AP stay high. Or it would make smaller mana cost spells a little more powerful just by virtue of the fact you could spam them more.

It would be interesting to be forced into the whole nuke vs. spam decision and when it was right to do so.

Either way, it kind of sounds like the opposite of the Barb's Fury. Whereas the wizard can frontload her damage because her resource starts full, the barb will be able to unleash hell only after a couple seconds into the fight. Should make for potent team play combos.

18. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

Yeah, I totally "cribbed" the idea from the WoW arcane mage revamp. I thought it was a pretty interesting mechanic, and would probably be better suited to a quick regen, fast paced style like Diablo than the long drawn out fights of WoW, especially when they claim they are making mana regen as hard as they are claiming.

19. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

The names are reversed in the Diablo universe. Sorcerers are the studied ones and Wizards are the ones that seek power without thinking.

And I figured Instability wouldn't stay around.