Insights on a FoF 'sin build

Pucho

Banned
Insights on a FoF 'sin build

Well, I'm considering making a 100% FoF 'sin, and I came here looking for some answers and advice.
First of all, keep in mind that I play SP, so I probably won't have a realm player's wealth.
Ok, this build came to my mind the first time I saw a firelizard's talon, with it's huge fire damage, +skills and decent speed. Never made it before, and with my latest restart, I think I'll give the chick a try.
So far, the equipment I have planned is something like this:
Dual claws (better than claw/shield?)
Firelizards/Bartuc's/Jade talon/shadow killer (which would be the best combination? any other claw?)
HC shako or a nice rare circlet with resists, AR, etc. I already have something like this, but alas it's eth...
Imp Visage
Circlet
Defense: 80
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 67
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x83edd3b6
+19 to Dexterity
+50 to Life
+74% Enhanced Defense
+95 to Attack Rating
8% Mana stolen per hit
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)
So I hope to trade/find/gamble a better one, hopefully with resists
Playing with the skill calculator, I've spoted a "hidden" feature in FoF, it converts physical damage into fire damage, and at the lvls I will be able to use it, it will convert 100% (actually more than 100%, but I doubt it means It will convert some extra damage, will it?) I guess that means I won't be leeching life/mana with it. Does it also applies to the finishing blow?
For gloves, I have a kenshi's of alacrity I plan on using
Belt should be verdungo's, for the life boost, or arachnid's for the +skill and slow target. Any recomendation?
boots... Here is another tough choice, since I think I'll be using dual claws, and dragon claw as finisher Is it better to use Dtail as finisher? (if so, I will be using some mirrored/myrmydon boots)
the armor will be probably an upped Vipermagi with a 15 RA jewel in it(already have it)
So, as far as skills go, I will need 44 skill points for the core of the build, max FoF, max PS and pre-reqs
Max dragon claw/Dtail? (both used as finisher moves)
with the one point wonders of mind blast, CoS, weapon block, BoS and fade, the build is pretty much done. Now, with the remaining skill points, what should I do? For secondary attack I could either put a huge damaging weapon in the switch and use Blade fury with it (eth nord's rocks, I've tried it with my light traper), max venom, or a second elemental attack (either CoT or BoI) since the PS sinergy is already maxed. I favor the venom path, since I want it to be as pure FoF as possible (I will work in a BoI & CoT 'sins later)
Merc will be a might merc, enhancing my fire damage and his physical one, with an obedience stick, crown of thieves and some random armor (Duress, I suppose)
Ok, I think that's all for now, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
Pucho said:
Well, I'm considering making a 100% FoF 'sin,
W00t!
Dual claws (better than claw/shield?)
Probably so. The three claw charge-ups are all pretty slow if used single-claw.
Firelizards/Bartuc's/Jade talon/shadow killer (which would be the best combination? any other claw?)
It's a tough call. I'd want some combination of speed, +skills, physical damage, and alternate damage. There isn't really anything prepackaged that offers all that except Chaos in a s00per claw. I guess I'd be awfully tempted by a Shadow Killer / Bartuc's combo, for obvious reasons.

Playing with the skill calculator, I've spoted a "hidden" feature in FoF, it converts physical damage into fire damage, and at the lvls I will be able to use it, it will convert 100% (actually more than 100%, but I doubt it means It will convert some extra damage, will it?) I guess that means I won't be leeching life/mana with it. Does it also applies to the finishing blow?
The conversion only applies to the finisher. And you're right about the lack of leech and the 100% cap. It's kind of a mixed blessing.

You might consider a pumped up DC. That way you can take good advantage of the conversion effect, but also have a pure physical damage alternative for FIs and for leech. Another cool possibility is Tiger Strike which would serve much the same purpose, especially if you're charge-up crazy. I don't know if that's stretching your original goal of pure FoF though.
Is it better to use Dtail as finisher?
No. FoF's and Dtail's fire conversion properties work against each other unfortunately. You'd end up with no fire splash from Dtail.
with the one point wonders of mind blast, CoS, weapon block, BoS and fade, the build is pretty much done. Now, with the remaining skill points, what should I do? For secondary attack I could either put a huge damaging weapon in the switch and use Blade fury with it (eth nord's rocks, I've tried it with my light traper), max venom, or a second elemental attack (either CoT or BoI) since the PS sinergy is already maxed. I favor the venom path, since I want it to be as pure FoF as possible (I will work in a BoI & CoT 'sins later)
Even though the damage types might seem redundant, one point in DS is always extremely useful. You simply have to get at least a 1 point Dflight too. :D

I'm not crazy about Venom, but it does detract the least from FoF. Phoenix + CoT or BoI are Hell viable and extremely fun.

You might also consider Crescent Moon as a BF weapon. Solves a lot of problems at once, that one does.

Regardless of whether any of that's useful or not, I definitely want to hear how this turns out. :) I always wanted take a dedicated FoFer through the game.

Pucho

Banned
Awesome answer BeB, thanks heaps for it, I now have a guideline.
I still have a few questions though...
Browsing through my stahses, I found out that my firelizards are ethereal, so I guess I won't be using them...
I'm considering using dual (upped) bartucs as weapons, the may be not as damaging as shadow killers, but the offer too much to only use one of them, and I see them more of a BoI build anyway.
The +skills/Leech/AR/Stats/Speed is hard to beat. With just one point in BoS (and without prebuff) they reach the max attack speed with the 20 IAS from the gloves,allowing me some customization in the socketing department, like an eth rune in each claw, ensuring my CtH is good enough or the possibility of an ED% or max damage jewel in the helm instead of an IAS one, affecting both claws...
as far as skills go, I'm with 73 for the core build: max FoF, max PS, max DC. 1 point in Dragon Flight, Mind blast, weapon block and BoS.
That left me a bunch (around 20) of skill points, aiming for lvl 80-85, so should I max claw mastery? Does the added damage counts in the final fire damage conversion?
Or maybe a shadow?
(I've never, ever, used one) is it worth maxing it or just a one point wonder as distraction?
I'd like to stay away from Death sentry, I could always use a "hel hel" bonehew on switch and use the charges when needed
How much AR is "enough"? is it better an eth rune in the claws or just a Pamethyst?
I think I'll have more questions to come, but these ones will be enough for now.

As always, any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
The conversion affects whatever your final physical damage is with the finisher. So CM helps as long as you're using a claw to release. Overall though, I don't like CM that much, particularly on a +skill build. Your skills probably will bring it up to a decent diminishing return level on Critical Strike without any pumping at all. The AR bonus is puny. The regular damage bonus is pretty much negligible, particularly if you use a Might merc.

I find Shadows to be very fun. Maybe try one at one point and see if you like it. With just 1 point and shadow skill buffing, they're pretty tough through the early part of NM.

AR is a tough question to answer, as it depends on a lot of other factors. FoF won't be as dependant on CtH as Phoenix though, so I think you'll be alright without focusing big time on +AR gear. However, an eth is nearly always a better choice than a pamethyst by a good margin.