Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Insight weapon

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by eelnala, Apr 13, 2005.

1. eelnala

eelnala IncGamers Member

Insight weapon

Hiya fellas,

I was wondering where is the good place to look for a nice weapon to put insight for my merc? Is trading for pgems the best option?

The problem is that I can't seem to level my merc up past lvl 75 (he dies in like 3 hits in the cow level) so please don't say I should use a colossus voulge. It could be a long time before he can use one.

I'm pretty poor, so my ultimate dream for my javazon would be to get an Infinity weapon. Of course, I don't have any of the runes required for that :( .

2. Zephyrin

Zephyrin IncGamers Member

I'm facing a similar difficulty with one of my mercs (first ladder merc, in fact), although he is lvl85 now.

Insight is nice, very cheap to make, but... a bit of a paradox for a high level weapon despite its appeal.

The lowest TC Elite polearm with at least 4 socket is indeed the Colossus Voulge, which may be dropped in any area with alvl>=64, ie. Act 5 nightmare, and Baal running in NM should be the best place, according to ATMA (best chance to drop). Unfortunately the Req Str for a Colossus Voulge is 210, which means that you have either a very high level merc or a very well equipped one. But if you are aiming at Insight, it often means that you are neither very high level, nor very rich.

All other >=4 socket Elite Polearms will drop only in hell. So a Thresher or Cryptic Axe is the next choice in terms of difficulty, but they may get up to 5 sockets, so Larzuk will give you 5 sockets. There are no Elite 4 socket max polearm other than colossus voulge anyway.

So if you want to make it fast, trading pgems is probably the easiest way to do. If you can afford to play the game :D I would suggest that you MF in the Hell Pits if you have a javazon. There you can drop a cryptic axe (still the req str is 165).

Personally, I've managed to find a Colossus Voulge in the Hell Pits, and I made the Insight runeword "just to see" (can't use it yet), and the ED turned out to be... +202% (the possible range is 200-260). :mad:

So now I'll continue running the Pits to find a cryptic axe, and try not to die with my Meteorb Sorc (lvl 85 but incredibly poor, so not that good yet). And do also some NM Meph runs to try getting richer. ;)

3. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Getting Insight is much easier than you think, but first you should observe the critical hit level is more important than the ED so look at crit hit first when judging your damage.

You should use an ethereal polearm for 50% more damage and lower requirements (10 less) if possible. For a Colossus Voulge you really should use ethereal. My merc uses an upped Duriels Shell which means the eth COl Voulge Insight is usable from level 85. Socket the Duriels with a Perfect Amethyst for only level 79. You could use Griswolds armour, which is a very cheap and good armour, socket with 3 Perfect Amethysts gives you +50 strength which means your merc still has high defense and can wield that non-eth Insight Col Voulge at level 70 or an eth one at level 65. The extra strength adds a heap of damage too. Socket a helm for even lower levels.

Now ethereal Colossus Voulges for some reason I find quite often in the pits.
    If you are on Asia 1 I have spares. Greys are not hard to find. The lower MF you have the better !

Also bear in mind you can use the cube formula and hope to get 4 sockets. It is really worth it with an ethereal polearm.

Finally do not overlook the exceptional polearms. An ethereal Partizan is nearly as good as any elite non-eth polearm and the level requirement is only 27 !!! I have been looking for ethereal Partizans and Bec-de-Corbins for a long time.

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Actually, any grey/white exptional item will have a clvl req of 25... It is the sol rune that makes it be 27 on the insight. Pre Insight I used eth Honor lances on my lvl 27+ mercs... sometimes all the way to reapers toll.

5. Licwid

Licwid IncGamers Member

It says +1-6 critical strike. How exactly does that work?

6. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

It means you get the Amazon passive skill "Critical Strike" when using that weapon. To quote AS :
    Level 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    Chance to 2x Damage % 16 25 32 38 42 46 49 51 54 56 58 59 61 62 63 65 65 66 67 68

So if you get +3 to critical strike this is similar to having 32% to deadly strike so it is quite a damage enhancement.
    I assume +skills item such as Shako will enhance this.

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Collossus Voulges automatically Larzuk to four sockets so no need for the cube formula. They do nice damage but the strength requirement is brutal. Be prepared to put some strength enhancing gear on your merc if you want to use one. Also if you don't need one of the Nightmare mercs make sure you stick with one from Normal rather than simply rushing yourself up and taking a Hell merc. They get better stats and Prayer/Meditate adds some extra nice regen to your health. You only need to hide out for a few seconds to get your health back to full. Cryptic Axes are generally prized for their considerably lower stat requirements, but they socket to five so you will have to get lucky and find one with four or use the cube formula which is going to have a 5/6 chance of being a waste of the ingredients but Amn runes aren't that hard to come by.