Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ingame Beastiary

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by NioTumsSpik, Dec 7, 2008.

1. NioTumsSpik

NioTumsSpik IncGamers Member

Ingame Beastiary

Diablo 3 needs an ingame Beastiary, i love that in rpgs, when you can read alot of lore and things about the monster.
    Games like The Witcher, NoX and sacred 2 has made good ingame Beastiarys.

So, i think the ide that monsters drop books that you read and find out more about them seems a little unrealistic even for a game :p

But i was thinking about that when you have killed lets say 10 of the same monster you get your first journal entry about it. With just a nice art of the monster and a little more.
    And when you have killed lets say 500 you get the whole stat table with resistence and al the lore.

And mayby you could get like a 5% dmg bonus for the monster when you have gotten all the lore for it together

But it would be nice if you get the full journal entry after you killed a boss, since it would take some time to kill em 500 times :whistling:

Other methods could be that the bookcases droped books with lore about the monsters, or the monsters could drop parts of them selfs that you could pick up and find a little more about em ^^

anyway, as a said i love these things in games and it would be awesome if D3 had it :smug:

Edit: Should have put this in the sugestions thread, sorry

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. DemolitionSquid

DemolitionSquid IncGamers Member

Re: Ingame Beastiary

I support this. I loved how Mass Effect had an in-game codex. It really helped the story. D3 needs this.

3. NioTumsSpik

Yea, it realy makes the world feel more alive :yes:

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I would like to see something like you don't even know what the hell the monsters are called until you have some experience with them. For instance, when you attack your first hungry dead it is shown as 'meandering dead thing' or 'unknown skinny' or something not very professional sounding. After so many kills, your character learns that these are called 'hungry dead' (d2 example). You only found out by killing X of them to recognize what an average one looks like, then seeing their descriptions in the tombs mentioned above or w/e. Or, just killing them.

Afterall, why would your level 1 barb know what a 'cliff lurker' is named? The barb is not a zoologist. Taxonomy takes some training.

Another idea (or the same one actually) is each class names them unprofessionally in his/her own style. So the untrained wizard would call hungry dead something mathy like 'lesser corpse' and the WD calls them 'It walks!!' Then they get the real names after X kills. Some annimation reward would be necessary upon killing the Xth monster when you learn it's true name. Otherwise, the monsters' name shifting would confuse the player too much.

Just a crazy idea I'm throwing out there. I just got home from work...

5. Schpwuette

Schpwuette IncGamers Member

Love the ideas, NioTumsSpik (what's with that name btw o_O)

Both the bookcase idea and the experience idea.

6. NioTumsSpik

Its Swedish for Nine Inch Nails :)

7. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

It was already in d1, it was very good aspect i don't know why they dropped it in d2.

8. slickr

slickr IncGamers Member

Not too much of it though, it should be split between cinematics, in-game cinematics, voice lore telling and text.

Too much text about the monsters isn't everyones favorite.

9. NioTumsSpik

Well, its not like you have to read it, its just for us that like that kinda stuff :)

10. Veratio

Veratio IncGamers Member

Agreed, thank you for stating it before me:thumbup:

11. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

Something like the Civlopedia in Civilization IV would be cool. It would be a lot of extra work for Blizzard though, depending on how many topics/monsters they want to document.

I love the idea though. It's good to have a break from all the hack/slashing in game. :)

12. NioTumsSpik

i just want them to cram in as much about the monsters as possible :D

13. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

I support this idea ( and even made topics about it on some other forums ), it is a must in any modern RPG ( or even any game with lore ), i played few JRPGs that had In-game Bestiaries in them, even an action game like Devil-May-Cry 4 has a very nice In-game Bestiary with High Quality 3D models of every enemy and character in the game, J-games tend to always load the game with small nifty extras and this is one i'd like to see in D3.

The best way like some suggested would be gaining more knowledge about a certain monster type by kiliing more of it ( or any of its sub-variations ), once you kill enough ot that type for the first time you unlock its entry and get to see a full 3D model up-close and rotate it around and stuff, then you get to read the general text about the monster explaining its origins/lore and behavior.

This could also add lots of possibilities to the achievements system Blizz intends to implement in all its upcoming games ... like an achievement called "Researcher" or "Monster Collector" that involves collecting data about certain rare monsters or all the data in the game.

Hear us Blizz XD

14. NioTumsSpik

Yea, i would be extremely disepointed if they dident have some sort of bestiary ingame :/

15. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Rather bizarre examples considering the descriptive nature of these names. It's cliff lurker, not mescalus maior. Trying to make out there's a huge difference between 'hungry dead' and 'meandering dead thing' is pretty funny to me actually.

Anyway a lore journal could be conflated neatly into a stats tracking system.

16. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

I really don't see a barbarian caring all that much about what a demon is, as long as it breaks in two when needed. A wizard on the other hand could be considered smart enough to bear the curiosity that would warrant this non-gameplay feature. But this just isn't what diablo is about anyhow which is probably why its taken out, I just want more monsters and blood and goo and all that good stuff. Thanks!

17. drmarine

drmarine IncGamers Member

In-game bestiary will be a monetized feature when it's put in. gg, blizzard.

18. teh_Thrasher

teh_Thrasher IncGamers Member

well thats a good point Zod, but a barbarian does like to know his enemies weaknesses and so having a place to scrawl some notes down would help him out ;)

im all for this idea, i even mentioned it in another thread about liking The Witchers journal

Lore, visuals and all that jazz is great, BUT i also want to see their resistances. (like in d2 u would have to go look around online to find some monsters resistances out) it should all be found in game. (stuff about the npcs would be nice... like the more u talk to them and get to know them. it all adds to the depth of the gameplay. =]

lol =]

19. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

While I liked it, I think it won't be in the game. For one, you will fight a lot of monsters and the action is quick. So finding the right skill to kill the monster doesn't sound right. And it is only really interesting during the first play. Since D3 is all about addiction, why waste sources and money on that?

20. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Instead of a bestiary I would rather have an 'Ask something' to certain NPCs that can give you info about certain monsters. So, you can stay a while and listen to Cain talking about the nature of fallen, or a blacksmith talking about other monsters... and such things, you need to find the right NPC that might now about the monster. So you could know resistances and weaknesses of some monsters just by asking, making it somewhat nicer on an RPG