Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Influential Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StarStageGurl, May 4, 2005.

1. StarStageGurl

StarStageGurl IncGamers Member

Influential Movies

I have to write a research paper on how "Hollywood hijacked culture." When I chose the subject, I was in the midst of a terrible headache and I don't think I actually realized that I know nothing about the subject. :rolleyes: I can't change it anymore. The biggest problem is that I have to refer back to earlier movies, and I really dont' know much about any movie more than 2 years old.

So...instead of weeding through tons and tons of movies, will you guys recommend me a few which might help me on the paper?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

your homework for you

was that really that hard? BTW I was intrugued so I read the one on ALI's homepage. Looks like a great source. Heck it's so close to what you're looking for you could prolly plagarize it and party like it's 1999 until they catch you. Woot!

*does little party dance*

3. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

A good example of how entertainment can affect attitudes and the world comes from Natzi germany in ww2. I don't remember the name of the movie tho.

German morale was in the dumps and they were considering surrendering, but the german govt made a movie about how the germans rallied together and defeated napolean, even when things looked bleak. It was a big budget movie for the day, expensive special effects and all that. Interestingly, they pulled troops from the front lines to be extras.

The movie had a profound effect on the german morale. A lot of troops and civilians believed they had a chance again, despite being outnumbered and surrounded. This is part of the reason they refused to surrender.

Garbad

4. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

there is a particular movie about a village or something that shook off napoleonic oppression or something like that, gosh, can't remember the name either, same one you think?

Kolberg?

6. Garbad_the_Weak

Yeah, that sounds right.

Garbad

7. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Birth of a Nation (1915)

This movie was responsible for the rebirth of the KKK in US. It depicted freed slaves raping and pillaging the good white folks in the south, and how the KKK rode in to correct this injustice. It was complete fantasy, but we can thank it for the existance of KKK today.

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

KKK post just got me thinking, that and I've had some caffeine

Animal House saved the Greek system

101 Dalmations spurred the popular purchase of Dalmations - and there are tons of other movie spawned fads

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I think this one might be worth delving into--while Animal House and similar movies might not have inspired partying in college the way it happens these days, I can tell you that it certainly has a hell of an influence.

If you doubt me walk through a dorm and keep a tally of how many posters you see of what's-his-name chugging from a bottle of Jack with his "COLLEGE" sweatshirt on.

10. Garbad_the_Weak

Another one that would be interesting is how women are treated. I am specifically thinking of the 70s and 80s movies where women are portrayed as hard to get and secretly wanting a man to "catch her." Watching those old movies now, it is unbelieveable how aggresive men are and how often they ignore what a woman says because that is what she really wants, etc.

Garbad

11. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

off the top of my head: Friday Night Lights

it was a good movie but if any of you have read the actual book, you know that they really bent the story in the movie.

Also any of the "true" story movies made by hollywood b/c none of them are actually 100% true.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Wouldn't that be culture influencing Hollywood and not the other way around?

13. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

no b/c hollywood kinda bends the football craze down in Texas a little too much with the violent scenes. I'm sure it wasnt that bad as it looked.

14. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

The blood etc. isn't that bad; however, the ravenous fans are. When it gets to AAAAA (5A) an AAAAAA (6A) high school football, fans are crazy.

15. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Passion of the Christ

started a religion and even had a book written about it.

16. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

The question as posed is fundamentally flawed, as it recognizes only hollywood's influence over culture and not the true symbiotic nature of the relationship between media and culture. For instance, Boys in the Hood and other movies were a true reflection of urban culture. But they, along with music videos and other media helped shape our culture as a whole. White, suburban kids attempt to emulate what they see. And as a negative, black culture as a whole is stereotyped as a snoop dog video.

17. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I'd advise going with the inverse strategy. I think Hollywood's influence stems not from any particular movies, but rather from the sheer bulk of them. People are naming "influential" movies that I've never heard of and probably nobody but themselves and a handful of others have ever even seen. And if nobody's seen them, how influential are they?

There really aren't any individual movies that can be claimed to have changed our culture on their own. You should be focusing more along the lines of the cumulative effect of putting out 1500 movies over ten years all of which have similar messages and promote similar social norms.

18. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

You might look into some of the old James Dean movies, or maybe Elvis Presley ones. Hair styles, mode of dress, speech, actions, music, dancing...whole teenage revolutions came into effect because of these dudes, you dig?

19. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member