Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinty Weapon

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MontyBurnz, Oct 28, 2006.

1. MontyBurnz

MontyBurnz IncGamers Member

Infinty Weapon

What are the best 4 socketed weapons to make an infinity in?

I have a 4 socketed Halbeard.. is that any good?

2. Barnical

Barnical IncGamers Member

NoNoNo. Try to get an Eth CV or an Eth CA. If you try to get non eth CV/CA your str will be too much unless your merc has alot of +str or he's just a really high level.

So your halbred is a nono. (Eth CV = Eth Colossus Voulge and Eth CA = Cryptic Axe.)

3. MontyBurnz

MontyBurnz IncGamers Member

Thanks for the reply..
    Does etheral make it a lower strength req?

Also I wanted to kinda make it so I could use it...

I read the post "infinity to carry or not".. but don't understand it

Any help?

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Either an ethereal elite weapon, preferably superior too.
    CV, GPA, CA are all great.

OR...

a non-superior, non-ethereal normal Voulge. It's the slowest, weakest possible polearm for an Infinity. Why?
    1) Your merc will not die to Iron Maiden. VERY powerful in the Chaos Sanctuary and Worldstone Keep.
    2) Infinity has 40% CB regardless of what weapon you use. Conviction is there to make YOU kill faster. CB is what takes down bosses. Normal enemies will be torn asunder by your attacks anyway. The extra weapon damage is really just there for unbreakable immunes and to look pretty.
    3) At 50 strength, a Sorceress can use it if she wishes. An Infinity held by a Sorceress grants up to -140 lightning resist (Conviction+-55%).

5. Barnical

Barnical IncGamers Member

Simply negates my response. He's right. And yes, ethereal does lower the STR requirement which I didn't know when I bought a non-eth CV which my merc could NOT use without a 3 faled helmet.

However!, If you want to run meph, an eth elite polarm, (mentioned above) would be better, since you want him to duel SOME damage to the boss your running. (EDIT)

6. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Actually, regarding the 2nd point I made... You can still take down unbreakable immunes with an Infinity Voulge, thanks to the CB. It will only take a little longer than normal.

I remember back to my old MF sorc's days, her merc used an Insight Scythe with 33-61 damage on-weapon. He could still take down those dual-immunes in Hell without any trouble, since you'd usually kill every other monster so it's just him and the mini-boss, mano-a-mano. Use Telekinesis to hold the offending bully in place while your buddy pokes away at it.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

For your sorc - voulge or scythe work well for low damage weapons as suggested. Depending on how much str your sorc is going you use, you can compromise with one of the exceptional poles. They can work for both you and your merc. The bill has no dex req'd and less than 90 str in an eth version. Or you can use a battle scythe for faster attack speed (more crushing blow for your merc). I've seen a few eth threshers used as well. It's a lot higher str and dex req'd, but if you're going to weapon swap with a spirit monarch or stormshield its within range.

If you only want it for your merc - check this out.
    Best weapon for Merc Infinity?
    We basically figured out eth Great Poleaxe, Thresher or Giant Thresher are the prefered merc weapons. Cyrptic Axe or Colossus Voulge are the worst of the elite polearms IMO.

8. DarkTyrian

DarkTyrian IncGamers Member

I dunno but talking about Crushing Blow when a sorceress is involved seems like a pretty moot point, even on your merc. I mean especially on a light sorcs who has Static as a pre req. Static hits 100% of the time, takes 25% life and casts quickly. A boss will be at half health far before a merc even triggers Crushing Blow.

9. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

But CB will still whack down the bosses life even further. Static is capped at half health, a merc with CB can quickly put him down to almost 1/10 making your job easy as hell.

10. DarkTyrian

Well if crushing blow is really making that much of an impact on your game as a sorc, you definitely need to re-evaluate your char. A merc should be doing 2 things for a sorc: Tanking and Killing you elementaly immune monsters that can't be broken. On bosses, other than ubers, this shouldn't even be a factor.

11. MageChick

I somewhat disagree with that. Yes the only real purpose of your merc is provide you with the auras, tank, and kill immunes - but the more damage he does all the way around, the more he helps you out. Fortunately its not like we have to choose between haveing CB or not - they come together on Infinity and Obediance.

I love being able to drop my merc in the middle of a pack of champion cows (or just about anything else) and not have to worry about him. I don't need him to do that, but it does help. It's great that he can easily take down the one or 2 cows that chain lightning always seems to miss. Even against Lister and friends he's a great help.

12. DarkTyrian

Yes ofcourse, every bit helps. But lets not make it seem like CB is like the end all thing you must have on a merc for a sorc. I would much rather have a merc that will take a serious beating than one that will kill things quickly. Especially if I'm already doing that anyway.

13. MageChick

yes, but killing everything is closely tied to tanking ability. The more damage they do - the more life they leech - the better & longer they can tank.

My personal favorite merc weapon is a good, fast, eth Obediance. Made in a Thresher or Giant Thresher with a merc Fort and Andy's Helm (socketed with IAS/Fire Res Jewel), he'll laugh at anything the game can through at him. He'll probably tank better than my hammerdin (well, ok - that's not saying a whole lot I admit :shocked: ). Except for IM the guy is immortal.