Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinity vs. Pride for summoner

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by SkyMind, Oct 28, 2006.

1. SkyMind

SkyMind IncGamers Member

Infinity vs. Pride for summoner

I have a summoner that maxed mages amd skelly's and i'm not sure which weapon on merc will help my army the most. Right now, i got eca pride, but infinity looks like a very nice weapon that will make my merc a killer. So i'm not sure which will help me more.

2. hellzfire

hellzfire IncGamers Member

i'm not so good with summoner, but i'd choose infinity. the conviction aura also lowers resist to help your mages and it also lowers enemy def so increases chance to hit the enemy for skeles... as for the pride... you can iron golem it if you're godly rich:grin:

3. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

For me, I find Pride too annoying when it freezes up the corpses.

4. SkyMind

SkyMind IncGamers Member

lol, i need the iron golem for insight lol and yeah the freezing is very annoying. But I still want to know which will make me kill faster.

5. Karatejag

Karatejag IncGamers Member

IMO Mages blow, hence you should rebuild and not use them at all. Just pump skellies/mastery then use CE as a supplementary skill. Merc should be a might merc (duhh) with a pride and bramble while you use a beast on switch thus giving your skellies might, conc, fanat, and thorns making them lethal and that's before you consider your curses.

6. windwingwind

windwingwind IncGamers Member

Infinity will make you kill faster not by helping your mages but by helping your CE (I assume you maxed CE). Also its 40% cb is handy when facing bosses.

7. Enilias

Enilias IncGamers Member

That wasn't the question though. If mages are good or bad will always be a point of discussion. I just know pvp-ing with mages makes fighting smiters and zealits a lot easier scince once they activate life tap you don't want them to fight in melee.

About the infinity or pride question, infinity has crushing blow while pride doesn't. They both increse the damage from your skeletons and mages. On top of that pride freezes the monsters which can be a pain when collecting an army. Personally I have never tried pride, but I'm quite happy with my infinity. I really think it doesn't matter that much, except when you want to kill ubers. In uber tristram crushing blow is a nice thing to have.

8. hellzfire

hellzfire IncGamers Member

good luck getting corpse that haven't shattered yet... and mages don't blow, they may not do high lvl dmg but you can consider them a "tank" for you incase monsters somehow get past youre skele warriors... also, a lil extra dmg never hurt

just my opinion though:grin:

9. MrNecro

MrNecro Banned

Finally after argueing for infinity for years finally, other people understand this! Sorry, but I really hope someone can remember me about this..... otherwise forget about it. :p

10. borfa

borfa IncGamers Member

Insight forever.

11. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

ALL summoners should have 1 point in mages as a prerequisite for Revive. You should also have your full army up, mages included, at all times. 1 point mages -> 5-6 mages with modest +skills = better killing speed.

12. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

Iron Golem from a normal poleaxe so IM doesn't kill him. Eth for style points.

13. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

Mages do not blow, they pwn. No they do not do as much dmg as skeles do, but think about this way, your mages are made to give support to your skeles and act as behinds the line artillery troops. They also act as great meatshields to protect against flank attacks as they tend to not advance into melee range, hence they stick by you, where flanking enemies will come from.

14. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat IncGamers Member

I've used both. Infinity is better if you have mages.

15. aera

aera IncGamers Member

is there some sort of bug where insight doesnt always work with iron golum? i made one out of a non eth polaxe insight, and it worked well, then the next game i joined, it didnt seem to work at all. mm

and again. i think that (if your non ladder and dont have easy access to a vast array of insights, chuck one on your merc, so you dont ever have to warry about mana.

about mages being worthless. i totally dissagree, they make a good distraction and good tanks. and i dont see the point in maxing ce......
    ive read a guide on a "lichlord" a magi/elemental revive summoner, wich is VERY good. would be a hassle to beat pvp with any char if built right, and if you have the right minions, try having an infinity on your merc, insight golum, 15+ magi's, 1 balrog (for monster stackattack!! and rest gloams. pair this with lower resist, and you have a very stupid, yet fun, pvp char. also if you can, try get some points in pnova for more fun 8)

16. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Max CE gives you something to do in between casting curses, and before your enemy dies. A high level CE can cover over half of the screen, and 2 or 3 castings can kill a whole pack of monsters, all at once.

It's when you see 20+ cows all fall over at the same time that you realise just how awesome CE really is.

17. ilovesoda

ilovesoda IncGamers Member

i think im gonna try that 8)

18. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

I agree. CE is just about the best area attack spell in the game. Combined with amp damage, it basically kills a whole screen of monsters in one click. For a pure summoner, its really the only attack you have...so it should be maxed.

For hybrids, 1 pt is probobly fine.

Mages rock. Don't believe people who say they dont. Most games I play, I lose ONE the whole game (baal included). They have great elemental resistance, and add flexibility to your army. Cold, poison, fire, lit all at once. The cold mages are worth their weight in...uhhh...bones.

As for pride v infinity: I've been using pride on my merc (and clay golem all the way) and I like it. Its a little annoying when he shatters things, but that really only matters when your building your army. Go to the black marsh and you'll find lots of cold immunes <---no shatter.

once you get your army up and going, skellies kill the most, and there are always corpses around to animate/explode. I normally find I only have to CE once during a fight.

Infinity has some nice bonuses as well, however, and I was considering making it to test the difference. Its one rune more expensive (4 v 3) but eh...hr are a dime a dozen these days.