Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinity question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Old_Man_Winter, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Old_Man_Winter

Old_Man_Winter IncGamers Member

Infinity question

Hi,

Does the -% light res on infinity (not from conviction) apply to other lightning attacks, in particular thunderstorm, and does is apply to Holy Shock dmg from dream?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Yes, its -%res applies to all forms of lightning damage caused by you, but only from you.
    This means, HolyShock from dream will have help from it, so will thunderstorm, and also chainlightning (if you feel like using it), and every other lightning spell you can possibly cast.

It does, however, not apply to lightning damage caused by your merc or any party member. Only things cast by you (or your equipments auras)
    :thumbsup:

3. Gimmershred

Gimmershred IncGamers Member

If your merc is carrying the infinity it will off course not aply for your attacks

4. lior

lior IncGamers Member

So infinity for merc + dream helm can be very nice.

5. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

yeah but you need to use coh or skin of the flayed one for ll. :rolleyes:

coh is nice aside from the low def though.

6. Old_Man_Winter

Old_Man_Winter IncGamers Member

Actually I was thinking Sorc carrying Infinity with max Thunderstorm & Light mastery, maybe Dream Helm or Griffons.

Just tele around in pvp (kinda lame :p), maybe nova for finish.

TY for answers btw.

7. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Not sure what you mean here - Infinity on a merc will remove lightning immunity from monsters, and reduce their resistances by up to 55% - therefore it will work with my attacks...

8. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

This mod will only help the merc if he wears Infinity:

-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance (varies)

It will not apply to your attacks.

9. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

I have to disagree...when I remove my merc's Infinity while doing Sanctuary runs due to the Iron maiden, it takes twice as long to kill monsters, and the lightning immunity remains. Once the infinity is back, I kill almost twice as fast, and the monsters lose their immunity - leading me to believe that the aura helps my attacks as well...

10. garion

garion IncGamers Member

the -(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance applies only to the character carrying the infinity,

but the conviction aura will help everyone hitting the monster/player that has convction aura acting upon it.

i just leave the infinity on my merc and with just the convction aura, things still die very quickly (this is for a java LF/CS), im not sure if it can remove immunities from super uniques though....i think it cant...

also i ve noticed sometime if it dosen't remove immunities from champions/other mosnters you can disengage combat (to get the aura off the monsters) run a bit away and re-engage and the aura will often remove immunties....

11. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Ohhhh...ok.

Well that makes sense then.

And yes - the immunities sometimes aren't removed, so I tele back, open the char, unequip and reequip the Infinity, and the Conviction comes back.

Superuniques remain Immune - and sucks when you meet a Stone Skin, Lightning Immune, Physical Immune Lister. Kinda ruins a Baal run! :)

12. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

as garion said, the conviction aura DOES help you, the " -(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance" mod DOES NOT.

You didn't understand me before. :)

13. garion

garion IncGamers Member

yah that can get pretty nasty....especially if theres fanatacism to boot....

stone skin is do-able with my java (valk+merc aint bad as long as there just the boss left)...but with a sorc i guess i will be potting the merc

phys AND lit immune...um i dont think i could kill something like that with my lf/cs java or lit sorc? "save & exit"?

14. aZNx05J3

aZNx05J3 IncGamers Member

I think some and not ALL Super Uniques/Champions' Light Immunities are not removed by Conviction b/c of the low SLvl<---like...-85%?

15. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Correct, that's why fire and/or lightning sorcs all want a Conviction paladin pet to help them out with immunes.

16. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Yeah...I kinda forgot about the conviction. now I am toying with the idea of putting more str on my sorc and seeing how she does weilding an eth col voulge with -50% light resist and conviction!

Thanks for everyone explaining - guess it takes 5 people saying it 5 diff ways for me to get it! ;)

17. garion

garion IncGamers Member

wow thats a new approach...well if you plan on carrying the weapons yourself why not just get a low str req polearm? i mean you probably cant hit anything anyways...and you just want the weapon for the -% lit res and conviction aura (any 4 soc polearm will do), however you will be sacrificing many +skill points, at least around 5 (ie. hoto/occy + spirit shield...etc).

please let us know how that works out for ya :D

18. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Well the other sweet thing about Conviction aura is it not only lowers monsters resistance to fire/cold/lightning but lowers their defense considerably as well hehe. Therefore with +skills gear and a decent level of enchant there is a good chance of landing a hit on monster i think :p Lastly if you have CTA on switch then the effects of Battle Cry + Conviction would most likely turn the tide of battle in your favour.

19. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Let me add to the confusion. :D Conviction can break immunities but it only works at 1/5th the effectiveness. Since Infinity gives -85% max resists, against immunes it will only drop immune resists by -17%. This 1/5th effect continues after the resistances are dropped below 100% and the critter is no longer immune but then the -lighting resist will kick in and work in full if your sorc has it equipped.

Most immunities are higher than 115 so don't expect Infinity's conviction alone to break immunes. The only other skill that breaks immunes is lower resist and that stacks with conviction and works in the same way (1/5th vs. immunes). You can use a wand with LR charges on switch to get another -6-8 points or so, but you will still come across a lot of immunes that you can't break.

On nonimmunes an important thing to understand about conviction is that it lowers maximum resists so if an enemy only has 15% or less, that Infinity does nothing.

20. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Infinity breaks almost all natural Lightning immune monsters (into tiny pieces without immunity).

The lower cap on resistances is -100, so unless you have quite a few facets Infinity will always boost dmg by a huge amount. Provided you can keep the merc alive.