Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinity on merc or on the sorc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Sys, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Sys

Sys IncGamers Member

Infinity on merc or on the sorc?

The title pretty much sums it up, thought of making a light sorc and I'd really want a some opinions on this question...

The gear setup could be something like:
    Head: Griffon hopefully
    Neck: Mara's or +2light/fcr/*
    Chest: Umed Vipermagi?
    Gloves: Magefist?
    Belt: Arachnid mesh
    Boots: any suggestions?
    Rings: SoJ*2 preferrably
    Weapon: Infinity on a scythe? OR Eschuta's + spirit

If the Infinity is on the sorc, merc could have an Insight, otherwise the merc would have to go with Infinity.
    So, what do you think, is it worth the -lr% for the sorc, or should I just go with my merc holding Infinity?

edit: and what merc do you recommend to be used, holy freeze or might perhaps?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. allbienhoa

allbienhoa IncGamers Member

Re: Infinity on merc or on the sorc?

Easy answer, Infinity should always go on the Merc. Eschutas and spirit sounds right. What you should work on is your CTA and second Spirit for prebuff.

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Based on what?

Speaking as someone who has made three light sorc; one without Infinity, one with Infinity on the merc and one with my sorceress holding the Infinity as part of my Plan, I disagree with you.

Much of this depends on what gear you have available and where you want to run. I am going for level 99 with the Infinity-holding sorceress and have no doubt she's capable of it.

The major advantage that I found (and bear in mind I levelled both of the Infinity sorceresses to 93 - the other one hit a mere 90) was that the -ELR% that you gain by holding the Infinity allows you to break immunities that you can't break if the merc holds it.

I can p8 Baal runs and if I do lose the merc, so what. I carry on. I fraps'd a few; warning large downloads. I am not as fast as I should be, but my dodgy teleporting is known in the SPF.

I know Denton had a sorc with the merc having the Infinity and he pulled about 40k damage IIRC. The character screen shows I am doing 18k but that doesn't take into account the -20% ELR on my Griffons (max could be 25% with facet) or the -ELR% on the Infinity. My guess is if you did the maths, we're pretty much like-for-like.

Before anyone mentions it, my gear has changed since that Mat thread at 93 and I now have maxed resists (well I'm 3 short in cold but close enough).
    Griff + facet
    Skin Viper + shimmering jewel
    Infinity
    2x Resists + 10% fcr rings
    Magefists
    Resists/frw boots
    Crafted ammy +2 skills, 5% fcr, life, mana and +20 resists (room for improvement here. If I got enough fcr here I could drop on a SoJ or BKWB.)

I have Spirit Monarch and CtA on switch (I also use this for teleporting). I have some small shimmering charms, a few fhr charms and five skillers. (No torch or anni in SP). On switch I hit the 86% FHR breakpoint. With the Infinity I hit the 30% FHR breakpoint AND the 117% FCR breakpoint.

This is a matter of personal preference. My play style preferred the Sorc to have the Stick. Others may not. But it is not an *always* answer.

I recently took part in a MF Tourney in the SPF where one character had to MF Baal/minions, the WSK/Throne, a level 85 area, an act 5 super unique and Memphisto. She wasn't optimized for MF but she could do everwhere.

EDIT: My moron is a defiance merc. Laugh if you want but with Rockstopper, Treachery and a Reapers, he tanks P8 LI Lister with a defence of 9.4k.

4. allbienhoa

allbienhoa IncGamers Member

Nothing wrong with defiance merc. they are mighty useful when TPing through hordes of baddies.

I take Defiance over any other merc. for most heros- no disrespect.

It all boils down to how you play your character and what your strategy is.

5. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Although insight is damn convenient to have around, having infinity on forces you to use nearly all of your gear to get fcr. This is kind of unpractical for me at least since I'd want to mf with the sorc.

Solution:
    Replace spirit on your cta switch with a phoenix, then go with a standard light/mf setup on main and infinity on merc.

damn expensive though ...

Item -ELR% doesn't break immunes you know, you have to break the immunity before it's taken into account. So for breaking the immunity "on merc" is just as good, though without some -ELR% from your other gear you'll face a high res monster.

6. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I've no idea why I typed that.

That should have been "I find it easier to kill stuff with the -ELR% from equipment by holding the Stick after the Conviction has kicked in".

Yes it is tricky to get to 117% fcr while holding it, but it's possible and for my playstyle; required. My Infin sorc who doesn't hold the Stick hits the near-200 fcr breakpoint.

Like anything. personal preferance.

7. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Only 9.4k defense? Pitiful. My Blizzard sorc's defiance merc with eth Stone gets upwards 20k defense.:thumbup:

8. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

I'm fine with Infinity on a merc... I tend to ignore lots of light immunes anyways. It's nice that I can kill them, and quickly too if I have to, but usually I just spam CL around the place and whatever dies is good enough for me. I'm not gonna waste any extra time on the dark archer in pit level 1 if it isn't part of a boss pack, for example, and I'm not gonna spend the extra time killing the li stormcasters in act 4 either (save for the pack @ the seal ofc).
    But, most usually die as collateral damage anyway.

With that said I prefer the 47K light damage and the freedom of gear I've got.