Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinity Lightning sorcs questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Keldon Hero, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Keldon Hero

Keldon Hero IncGamers Member

Infinity Lightning sorcs questions

I heard that pure lightning sorcs using infinity on a merc can dish out rediculous damage and killing speed. How ever i was finding it difficult to find information on other threads. I just traded for an infinity and was wondering how good this compination is for pvm mostly baal, chaos and mfing. I would also like to know what the guest gear setups would be.(minus griffons i'm pretty rich but would have to sell my soul to get one apparently). Any help would be appreciated.
    Gix

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

A light sorc with Infinity can be best described as a "shehammerdin". :wink:

3. Keldon Hero

That was kind of the gist i was hearing can you be any more specific perhaps some gear, skill, stradegy suggestions.

4. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

5. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

Hiya, Keldon Hero.

At the most general level, you have four options:

1) Give Infinity to merc. Make a standard Energy Shield lightning sorc.

2) Give Infinity to merc. Forget ES, and make a standard max-block lightning sorc.

For either of these options, nothing special or unusual is required. Decide on whether you want to rely on energy shield or a normal shield for defense, and pull out the cookie cutter. (Your best guide to making either of these is Soepgroente's really excellent Lightning Sorc guide: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=563) Then just slap the Infinity on your merc.

3) Hold Infinity yourself. Use Energy Shield.
    Here I think your best guide is Xenon's: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=446430 Note it was written for an ES Nova sorc using Infinity. Just replace the Nova with points in Lightning and Chain Lightning instead.

4) Hold Infinity yourself. Forget ES, and rely on defensive melee gear (CoA, CoH, Shadow Dancer) to keep you safe.
    Here see threads: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=492018
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=489472

Options 1 and 2 are fine for running Meph and Baal, and are the most straightforward to build.

But if you're planning on Chaosing much, then options 3 and 4 are the only viable ones. (An A2 merc will last about 30 seconds in the Chaos Sanctuary before suicidally impaling himself on Iron Maiden. And he will do this over, and over, and over...)

Option 4 also does the highest damage of any of these by far. You get the additional advantage of the -enemy resist by holding it yourself, combined with a fully-synergized attack. The -enemy resist mod alone will roughly double your damage (depending on monsters' resists). Stacked with Conviction and fully-synergized lightning and chain lightning, it gets ridiculous. :shocked: Nothing sizzles like this. But it requires some very specialized and unusual gear for a sorc (and ideally a Rogue merc with an Ice bow for complete safety).

6. Keldon Hero

The Forth option sound interesting but i have an eth cryptic axe infinity which is awsome for my merc but would be though to carry any thoughts.

7. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

It's actually no problem at all, because to equip CoA and Shadow Dancer, you'll have to get your str. up in the 190 range anyway... This is actually one advantage of Option 4: since you'll be pumping str. to use your gear, you'll already have more than enough to use whatever heavy ethereal elite Infinity your merc has. Eth Cryptix Axe, eth Thresher... Doesn't matter: you can slap them all on. :thumbsup: And the plus to dex. from Shadow Dancer will help you equip it too.

This is actually discussed in the two threads listed above under Option 4. Check them out. I'd start with the second one first...