Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinity and mana regen

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Madagou, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Madagou

Madagou IncGamers Member

Infinity and mana regen

Hi i'm thinkin of making a pure lightning sorc for purely mfing, and i was thinking that if i used infinity instead of insight, my mana would drop really fast. Is there ne equipment that i can use to compensate for insight?

my gear will be
    tal ammy
    tal armour
    tal belt
    tal helm
    tal crystal
    war travs
    chancies
    lidless (or shouldi get enough str to use spirit?)
    2x nagels

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

How about letting go on some of your MF?
    Switch those nagels for 2 Soj as a start.
    Get the str for spirit is only worth it, if you are not going for max-block. Full vitatlity route and Spirit is just perfect. You can easily compensate the points that would otherwise be in vitality with a few life small charms.

With Spirit your mana pool will rise and the effect from the 2 soj will be worth more aswell. Also please get rid of those chancies and put on some Magefist.

Your killing speed is more important than having all the MF you can. YOu shoudl still have enough MF to kill fast and get drops.

3. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

If you want this sorc purely for magic find why not switch out the tals orb and helm for shako and oculus.Isted oculus and ptopaz shako gives you another 154 mf +5 skills and nice bonus to life and mana on both items plus occy has +5 mana /kill.

4. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Lets compare this - it isn't the good deal you make it sound like.

Actually the MF increase isn't that much - compare a plain occy+shako to a plain tal orb+helm, you can ist/P topaz both of them if you want. It's only a 100% increase. And you loose quite a bit to get that.

You only gain 1 skill, not 5 (4-piece tal set has +1 skill on orb and +3 skills as se bonus). You also loose the +2 mastery points. This makes it about a wash.

You also loose the -15% enemy lightning resitance on the tal orb which is huge when comparing to lightning resist monsters. Even when infinity breaks the 100-115% resistant monsters, you still need to lower their resists further to do decent damage. For camparison, that means tal set will do 5x more damage to the 115% resistant monsters than the non-tal set. For a 0% resistant monster that will stil mean more damage for tal than for shako+occy.

You loose 45% resist all - no making up for that. But I guess the 10% DR on shako does help.

You loose ~140 defense +50 Defense vs. Missile by not going full tal (assuming both perfect shako and perfect tal helm).

In terms of life + mana:

shako+occy has
    +20 To Vitality
    +20 To Energy
    +5 To Mana After Each Kill
    +2 To All Attributes
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Mana (Based On Character Level)

Tal orb + helm + set bonus has
    +77 To Mana
    +57 To Life
    +10 To Energy
    +30 To Mana
    +60 To Life
    +150 To Life

So full tal has much better resists, more life, and more damage. I'd recommend just keeping gul/alibaba + rhyme/4xIst Monarch on switch if you want more MF. You can even swap out your helm for a shako if you want just before big boss kills. Partial tal set is actually pretty worthless - all the good parts of tal set come from the complete set. If you're going to ditch part of it, then ditch it all and go with complete rune word gear. That's the only way to make up the diffrence.

I'll steal Melianor's famos quote:
    Survivability > Killing Speed > MF.

This is true even for MF builds.

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

What?

Occy(IST)+Shako(PTopaz)+Tal Armor(PTopaz)+Tal Belt = 346MF
    Tal Orb(IST)+Tal Helmet(PTopaz)+Tal Armor(PTopaz)+Tal Belt = 246

That's only an increase of 100 MF, by getting occy random teleport, less life, a little bit more mana, less resists, etc. (i cant calculate correctly it seems. thank you for correction magechick ;))

Full Tal: +6 skills
    Shako+Occy+Tal Amu: +6 skills
    no difference.

Please look at the ACTUAL stats and compare them, before delivering completly wrong comparison information. thank you.

To gain any benift from using occy and shako you would have to replace the armor and amulet with CoH/Viper and Maras.

6. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

uh, mel - you forgot that the partial tal set will still get the 65% MF bonus, so it is a 100% MF loss. He was way off on the skills though.

Go full tal + magfists + spirit (35% FCR). Then add 2x SOJ's and war trav's. You'll be killing pleny fast and good survivablility and MF%.

About the only other option is:
    CoH/Enigma
    Mara's
    Eschuta/Hoto
    Spirit
    Griffon's
    Arachnids
    2x SOJ's
    Magefists
    War Trav's
    *I think this is the better option, but you'll see the gear is much, much more expensive. You actually end up with less MF, but the killing power and speed are real nice I'm sure.

7. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

I should have elaborated a little more on my original post,sorry for the confusion.

What I meant to say was shako and occy give the extra magic find and they include +5 to skills not add another 5 to skills when exchanged for tals helm and orb.

True you get less life with occy/shako and lose resist.
    With the +2 attributes on shako you gain 6 life if you take into account the need for 2 less strength in the overall char build.So thats an overall 82 life loss and 11 mana gain.

The extra +1 skill :)+2 tals ammy +2 shako +3 occy =+7 skills: over +3 tals set bonus +2 Tals ammy +1 tals orb = +6 skills) is more beneficial than the +2 lightning mastery bonus on tals orb.

Occy also gives a 20% enhanced defense bonus so the defense loss isnt 140.

The +5 mana /kill also helps fill up the mana orb when killing packs.This was one thing the op was asking about originally.Combine this with magefist 25%mana regen and an extra skill point in warmth gained from shako /occy combo and there is some compensation for giving up insight.Not great but some compensation.

As you pointed out magechick the -15 lr gained from tals orb is a big bonus.However it depends on where the player magic finds as to whether this is really necessary.Tals orb can always be carried as a switch weapon or in stash to deal with troublesome light immunes.I gave myself the option of a sorc carry infinity also:smiley:, mainly if I wanted to run chaos.

I used the build I described with fully synergised lightning,no es,most points added to vitality and merc using infinity.I was mainly targetting meph pindle eldritch shenk thresh with some pubi baal runs and did fine with decent kill speed.

I used anni/storch and charms for resist and my resists were 60-75.My sorc has since retired and I use a barb for mf now ..love horking treasure:laugh:

The main reason I used the tals set was for the mf bonus, the nice resist on the ammy/armour +2 skills from ammy and the 30fcr from the 3 part set.
    I guess the shako/occy is a personal choice for the 100%mf and this stems back to using them in 1.09.

Anyway thanks magechick and melianor for jumping on my original post.I kinda rushed the post and should have made it clearer,sorry again for the confusion.