Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infinity and Cold mastery. Which is applied first?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Yossarian, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

Infinity and Cold mastery. Which is applied first?

CM will lower an enenmies res to 0% and conviction will lower a monsters res as much as it can. But if conviction is applied first CM is totally worthless. I can't imagine that is the case (but immnuites make me question that) so tomorrow when I equip my Infinity on my merc can I look forward to monsters all having -85 res?

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Ok, this is how it works. Only Lower Resist and Conviction can break enemy elemental resistances. LR lowers (or breaks, but when breaking, is reduced to 1/5 effectiveness) all elemental resistances, whereas Conviction lowers (or breaks, again at 1/5 effectiveness) only fire, cold and lightning. So when facing immunes, the Conviction on your Infinity will work at -85/5 = -17 at breaking elemental immunes.

CM cannot break CIs. However, if the CI is broken by either LR, Conviction, or both working together (if working together, add the two values and divide by 5), then CM comes into play. In other words, break first, and if successfully broken, CM is applied to whatever the value of - enemy cold resistance you currently have. CM has a cap of lowering to -100% enemy cold resistance, which is why slvl 17 CM (-100%) is the optimal target for 0% cold resistance monsters.

Note that the majority of CI monsters have over-stacked cold resistance, so even a combo of LR and Conviction cannot break them. And if they remain CI, then CM is worthless against them. Also note that the -100% to enemy resistances cap applies across the board, regardless of whether you are using LR or Conviction.

3. PhuQ

PhuQ IncGamers Member

I guess this answer should be stickied since I´m getting bored reading same topics over and over (asking whether infi works good with cold sorks and so)

4. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

So conviction applies first. Cool thx for your detailed answer.

5. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

This is a pretty common question (and the answer is always the same.) Where would you look to find it stickied though? Other than indicating it in the various builds I don't know where people would ever go to look it up. It's one of those all purpose dii questions.

6. MeGs

MeGs IncGamers Member

Cold immumes in hell got like 200 resist when there immume to your magic... it sux

7. nNemethon

nNemethon IncGamers Member

Another common question is after conviction and CM, does nightwing and fathom and even cold facets for that matter help to stack to drop to max capped -res? Hope so. :)

nNem

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The -xx% resistances that you find are calculated with any resistances reduction that you have from skills, like cold mastery.

+xx% fire/lightning/cold damage is just added upon like fire mastery or lightning mastery into the calculation.

So as soon as there are no immunities those work just as fine as fine.

9. nNemethon

nNemethon IncGamers Member

Ty Melianor. Clears a few things up. I thought that was the case, but in this game, you can never be too sure lol.

nNem