Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Inferno Difficulty confirmed by JW

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by konfeta, Aug 17, 2011.

1. HardRock

HardRock Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Inferno Difficulty confirmed by JW

It says "Max Level Difficulty". Max Level = Level 60. Solve it.

That's exactly what I'm doing. This is the information given to us:
    It doesn't say anywhere, that all of these changes will occur in Nightmare and Hell as well.

It will progress like Hell did in D2 after you killed Baal, except with more options hopefully.

And farming a few enemies and areas in the game feels natural?

Because it would be pointless to have the main quest line guiding you through the game in a difficulty, which is dedicated to item finding. No main quest would mean that all areas would be opened from the start of Inferno. It makes perfect sense to do it like this. Also, I didn't say anything about exclusive side quests for Inferno, although they're certainly a possibility. At least the devs didn't say there won't be any.

You said that defending the lack of exclusive endgame content at the launch of the game by saying they will add it later in the form of content patches is not a valid reason. I say it is. Endgame content is not relevant at launch. If they can release the game a month earlier this way, then I think they should do it.

2. xManiaCCCx

xManiaCCCx Diabloii.Net Member

Would like to know what people who are saying this end-game sucks really want in Diablo 3..

Seriously .. I would be pissed if there would be something like "raids" or "dungeons".. And even If I haven't some solid idea about Diablo 3 end-game..Inferno sounds pretty good...flatten difficulty? nice... if drops will be flatten too, awesome..I can play location I like.. :) that's sounds good.

3. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

Rainbow unicorns?

4. kanzakii

kanzakii Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I wonder if there will be special item only dropped by certain class of monster in Inferno. So instead of the universal TC in D2 (or in addition to TC), certain type of item is only dropped by certain type of mobs. For example, a special type of armor that's only dropped by "demon."

Sort of like how cow king set is only dropped by Cow King.. and expands on that idea.

5. HardRock

Titan Quest had a system like that and I think it was great. I wouldn't be opposed to something similar in D3 as well. It would give an extra reason for hunting different enemies.

6. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Funny, i thought there was a difference between the meaning of the words "maximum" and "minimum". But hey, it's supposedly a riddle i have to solve.
    Here's a riddle for you to solve: "Who's not Jay and can't answer in his place".
    Hint: "You".

Indeed it doesn't say it anywhere. Are you telling me that i am to assume they won't? Seriously, are you telling me i have to assume monsters will NOT see an increase in health, damage, damage resistances and aggression EXCEPT when going from Hell to Inferno?
    Are you telling me monsters WON'T have access to a larger suite of powers when going from Normal to Nightmare or Nightmare to Hell, and that minions and boss monsters WON'T get tougher?
    If that is what you are telling me, then pretty please tell me how you came to that conclusion, because it sounds unbelievable silly to me. I mean, maybe you have some insider information revealing the games progression in difficulty to be completely illogical, but unless proven otherwise i'm just going to use plain old common sense and logic when concluding all of those examples obviously also apply to all other difficulties.

Um, ok.
    Anyways, the less interesting parts in D2 IMO where the Act 5 areas where all enemies where just randomly thrown together. I hope this isn't the design template that's getting used for the entirety of Inferno.

Define "few".

I don't think they're redesigning the difficulty to not have the usual progression (except in difficulty). I think you're just going to have to play it one act at a time like any other difficulty. I might be wrong but i would be suprised if after having completed Hell difficulty i would just enter Inferno difficulty and every waypoint just being given to me. That seems unlikely to me.
    Also "devs didn't say it won't so don't rule it out it will" isn't enough to get me excited.
    I think if Jay planned exclusive content for Inferno difficulty (more content then "extra itamz") then they would have taken that opportunity to hype that.

Yeah but you're wrong. You can't say "here's an empty game but we'll promise to add content via patches". Endgame content is going to be relevant exactly 28 hours 37 minutes and 59 seconds after launch. I'm also talking about a LACK of content, not a "there could be a bit more content somewhere in the future, i hope".
    And seriously, A MONTH? This game has been in development for, i don't even remember how long, and you're implying a month will make much of a difference?

7. xManiaCCCx

xManiaCCCx Diabloii.Net Member

Lack of content? In ARPG? Which is about milions of different builds and item farming? They made whole game with flatten difficulty (and hopefully flatten drops too)..best items in the game will drop here..and just here. Actually it's more I expected TBH. and I like it.. It's easy fix? Yes..pretty easy fix for lack of endgame in ARPGs in general but it sounds pretty good tbh..

Whole game viable for end-game farming.. I like it..

I am all for more arenas, maybe battlegrounds, maybe some super random and unique dungeons or something like that... but I don't see how Diablo 3 is lacking content.

8. HardRock

Enemies will get tougher on higher difficulties, that's granted. What I was saying is that maybe not all of the quoted changes would apply to Nightmare and Hell as well. Specifically the ones about monster behaviours and modifiers could have been read as exclusive to Inferno, since we didn't see those before in D2.

From the GamesCom presentation it looks like basic monster stat scaling won't change at all for Inferno. That won't be the case for behaviour and mods though according to Bashiok:

[BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27830522800&postId=278201101504&sid=3000#31"]Q u o t e:
    * More aggressive monster behavior with modified AI

True!

Q u o t e:
    new skills and abilities.

We may hold some specific champion affixes for Inferno, but it's not set in stone just yet. What we're definitely doing is making more difficult affixes and affix combos more likely to roll up.
    [/BLUE]

What I was saying was that Inferno will be a difficulty like Hell was in D2 after you did all the quests, more options hopefully being that all areas will be viable for item hunting instead of just a few and random events changing from game to game.

I don't like the idea of randomizing monsters between areas either. I think they can better achieve their goals by careful and constant long-term balancing of fixed monster types per area.

Implementing StevehRogers' idea to slowly decrease drop chances in farmed areas wouldn't be the good thing to do either if you ask me. Players run certain areas and bosses because doing it gives them superior rewards than doing other stuff. Decreasing drop chances after a while would certainly help, but why not balance the rewards in the first place, so you wouldn't need some elaborate system to force players out from an area?

It was not a well thought out question on my part, I'm sorry. My point was that every game is designed to be played a certain way, so your choices will be limited by the designers, they will be artificial. Making the whole game viable for item hunting isn't any more or less artificial than how they handled the endgame (or the lack of it) in D2 or in any other game. I wouldn't call it forced either. You will still be able to run one boss or area until you die of boredom, if you choose to.

It will be far from an empty game. For most players the content available at release will be enough for quite a while. The fact that people still play D2 is proof of that. D3 will easily provide at least the same amount of things to do at launch. Also, what we now know about won't be the extent of the endgame content in the long-term:

[BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27822633767&postId=278201101404&sid=3000#14"]I don't think it's ultimately what we want for the end game either, but it's a great start, and we think plenty to keep people engaged for the initial release.
    [/BLUE]
    [BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27822633767&postId=278201101414&sid=3000#21"]And we probably think most of those ideas are awesome, but what we're talking about right now is purely Diablo III at release day. :)

Anything beyond that we're keeping close to the vest.[/BLUE]

Everything posted by Bashiok in the source thread is worth reading.

It will, if it allows them to get it out before the holidays.

9. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

First off I want to apologize if this was already talked about, my health wont let me read so many pour without more meds. So I just wanted to state I strongly disagree with the new more being just another, very hard, play through, I think it would have been nicer to just have end-game mini-games (protection details, base defenses, or random harder dungeons. The "Inferno" only stuff could still drop so progressing would be the same in the since (witch is good). I just dont dig the full harder play through.

10. patonis

patonis Diabloii.Net Member

For some players, who farm it will be about killspeed(mobs per minute). I doubt that they balanced all areas around this. There will be some areas, which are better for killing alot monsters quickly. Even if the difference is small, we will notice that and farm those areas.

@Glass
    You forget one thing. Not everyone reads the forums and with the auction house you also need to visit forums even less for trading.

This means the majority of players(uninformed) will kill everything, cause they wont notice small differences and the smaller number of players(forum readers), which farm the better areas wont get noticed then so easily.

11. aimlessgun

aimlessgun Diabloii.Net Member

Borderlands is a very good loot hunting game and a spiritual cousin of Diablo, but I wouldn't say that the endgame system 'worked really great'. Unless you're talking about Borderlands before the DLCs. The General Knoxx DLC introduced Crawmerax as unquestionably the most efficient way to 'legitimately' (aka no Armory glitch) obtain loot.

12. blackbisket

Well if your post @glass was referring to me then your a incentive a$$, if not im sorry.

13. HardRock

Yeah, Crawmerax did indeed make the endgame loot hunt quite trivial. Although at least a good and diverse weapon setup was needed to efficiently run him and the fight was really fun and challenging too (if you didn't play a Siren).

14. aimlessgun

aimlessgun Diabloii.Net Member

Something people havn't talked about much regarding balancing the areas: some areas are going to be easier for certain classes or builds. So your skill setup will make it more efficient to farm a certain small subset of areas. But since we can change our skills easily, if you get bored of those areas then you can swap your skills to fit another area :)

This provides variety not only with what you are fighting, but how you are fighting it!

Yeah it was definitely a good boss and a worthy challenge for the loot for non-sirens. I, uh, did play a siren though :whistling:

15. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Fair enough. But i wouldn't read too much into it.

Ok, if "more aggro" doesn't equal "dumb kamikaze", and it might aswell as i doubt Blizzard will hold back "smart AI" for the final difficulty.

And those new skills and abilities were probably already apart of hell difficulty.
    I do hope monsters won't just get more random mods or whatever, but actual unique content exclusive to Inferno. Hell, why not even entire monsters exclusive to Inferno?

So basically you get all waypoints then? I understand the reasoning behind it, but i don't see any actual statement confirming all Inferno areas will be open to the player the second (s)he completes Hell difficulty. I also think it will feel rather weird, as if you still haven't left Hell difficulty. I think for that reason you still have to unlock all areas first. Also for completion reasons so that people can say "i completed Inferno difficulty and kicked Diablo in the ***" and that mean something. But i guess it could also just come as an achievement.

I agree. But i worry that if they take the flattened difficulty to extremes different monsters will just lose their unique characters. I'm all for adding character to the game, not deteriorating it. For that matter it might be better if Inferno difficulty also has monsters (content) exclusive to it, like i already said before, it would add character to the difficulty and not just take random stuff from other difficulties but then more of it and more random.

Obviously. But the problem is that the path of least resistance is inevitable, it cannot be countered. What's worse is that Blizzard might take away much of the character i talked about previously in an effort to balance the game (and that's unfortunately what they have been doing with all of the game IMO).
    They might make every area challenge wise the same as every other area, every enemy as every other enemy, in an effort to eliminate the path of least resistance. What might be a way better solution is, also ofcourse properly balance the game, but also include an idea like that of StevehRogers. Then areas/monsters retain their unique characterization, yet people get discouraged to run the same area/boss due to the decrease in value over time/runs, and thus indirectly encouraged to run other areas/bosses instead.
    I think it's a very good idea, if only so Blizzard doesn't need to make the entire difficulty a monotone experience in an effort to balance it.

I understand. The issue that might arise is that a few fun areas to run for various reasons might be better then the potential of running an entire boring difficulty because every area is artificially being made equally valuable and challenging to every player.

I didn't want to imply the game to be empty, only that "it might be fixed in patches" is a poor excuse for a lack of content. I just expect more from end-game then "new difficulty with everything that's synonymous with it, including better items!". That might aswel have been Hell difficulty for all i know. So now it's 4 instead of 3. Good but, where's the end-game content that's going to interest people?

I can respect wanting to create a sort of end-game template to later build upon. But i don't think it's that great a start, i think it's just another difficulty, supposedly balanced such that it challenges level 60 characters.
    And i have my doubts there to. How exactly is Blizzard going to balance Inferno difficulty to be possible by a level 60 character, yet at the same time being challenging to a level 60 character that's decked out with the rarest of equipment? I don't think Blizzard willl even come close to that level of balance simply because it's impossible, certainly when considering how defining items will be. Either Inferno will be so hard people won't be able to conquer it for months, or Inferno will be initially a challenge to decent level 60 characters, but become pisseasy once fully decked out. What i think is that D3's Inferno will just turn into a D2 Hell in a matter of months at the most and the only difference will be that all of Inferno will be equally easy.

Meh, i couldn't care less. Blizzard will be able to sell the game at whatever time of the year. If they worry about getting the game released before holiday, then that's sort off pathetic actually.

Anyways, thanks for posting. :wave: :coffee:

16. HardRock

That's my thinking as well. Although in Inferno and maybe in Hell as well, skill switching by itself won't necessarily make you viable for any chosen area. You will need to get new runes for your previously unused skills as well if they chose to implement the planned attunement feature or some kind of cost for unsocketing runes. Finding high level runes could cost you a lot of money or time.

Figures... :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  17. Tryfis

Tryfis Diabloii.Net Member

Has anyone worked out the implication of MF and Inferno?

I was thinking that since all areas are viable, you won't need to teleport and zoom down to a boss. This way you can MF by just killing mobs anywhere you want.

I guess we still don't know how MF will work with gear, will we have to mix and match killing gear and MF or will range classes be more able to give up survivability for MF?

18. ClockworkBeast

ClockworkBeast Diabloii.Net Member

Hay guyz i just barley skimmed teh link in the OP but i already thot of 5 reasons y Inferno is dum that Blizz will nevar think of, based on lotz of assumpsions tat i made

19. Eagle

Eagle Diabloii.Net Member

I think a constant difficulty final difficulty level is an OK idea. However, I think 3 playthroughs to get to it is excessive. They should just have adjusted the level curve and done it at the Hell difficulty level.

20. blackbisket

Didnt they say the AI in D3 will go after ranged and with the aggressive AI in Inferno it may be kinda hard to just pack on MF to them. A great surivability challenge I guess?:evil: