Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Inferno Difficulty confirmed by JW

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by konfeta, Aug 17, 2011.

1. FaeLiN

FaeLiN Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Inferno Difficulty confirmed by JW

Never :wave:

2. Don Jaime

Don Jaime Diabloii.Net Member

They would certainly be more valuable than items that can be found in the other difficulties, that's for sure, especially if they have Clvls significantly lower than those required to survive in Inferno.

To help curb some of that, Blizzard could tag them "inferno mode only" unless trading is restricted outright. I could see the former happening before the latter. If someone else is already playing in Inferno, and the item is only useable in that diff... I don't see that as being as much of a problem. I think the true "e-peen" gear will be seen in HC Inferno where AH trading isn't slated to be an option.

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Achievements? Nay!
    Inferno? Yay!

The idea of not having to play through the whole story and progression in Inferno is great.

I go with konfeta on this and would like to see the loot really randomized. Timed dungoens sounds good too, though i wonder how much of kick this will be in Hardcore :)

The question of RMAH i have eliminated out of my mind. It's going to be hardcore from the start.

I hope for inferno gear to be so valueable, that noone will sell it, until he/she has found a second equal item!

4. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Achievements:
    - Fully Clear out 10 Timed Dungeons in Hard Core.
    - Escape a Timed Dungeon during the last second on the timer in Hard Core after fully clearing it.

Should weed out the meek and the laggy.

5. HardRock

HardRock Diabloii.Net Member

The extra and possibly unique monster modifiers in Inferno should make it really interesting. The fact that enemies will be always at a higher level than the player will also make it really hard. Since a lot of character stats are rating based it will mean that in Inferno players will require much more resistance, critical strike and whatnot just to stay on the level they had in Hell.

I'm excite.

6. Raxus

Raxus Diabloii.Net Member

i see a lot of posts about Baal runs. Did you guys totally ignore this part of the interview?

"We do expect there to be a certain amount of... runs to get items, but we wanted players to do it over a lot more content," Wilson said. "We're trying to make sure that there's a lot more opportunities for players to see a lot more variety." Wilson added that if player behavior does eventually lead to tightly focused runs in Diablo III, the developer may make adjustments for that by encouraging (and rewarding) players for having more diverse replays".

7. patonis

patonis Diabloii.Net Member

Well it depends how tightly packed the monsters are in a given area and how many hit points they have.

For some players, who farm it will be about killspeed(mobs per minute). I doubt that they balanced all areas around this. There will be some areas, which are better for killing alot monsters quickly. Even if the difference is small, we will notice that and farm those areas.

8. kemo

kemo Diabloii.Net Member

I'm quite certain that all the "infero-lewt" will be lvl restricted at 60. So everyone who can use em, have acces to Inferno already. Shouldn't be a problem. If a 60 is struggling to beat inferno, he should be able to buy him some gear to help him in his struggle.

9. kemo

kemo Diabloii.Net Member

From the arcticle.

Does this mean more tiers than the 18, or at the 17 and 18 tiers just only Inferno loot? Could he mean just legendary items or what?

10. HardRock

Exclusive item tiers are certainly possible, but they probably meant exclusive Unique items if you ask me.

11. Osferath

Osferath Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know if this has been said before, but in the translation to other languajes we will have a problem.

"Inferno" means, literally, "Hell" in Italian and (I think) portuguese. In Spanish, "Hell" translates to "Infierno (note the i after the f).

That means that people from those countries will have... "infierno" and "inferno" difficulties? will be rare.

12. Doppel

Doppel Banned

"Aimed at" = "Exclusive"?

And this is different from any other difficulty level, how?

So the entire Inferno difficulty is the equivalent of The WorldStone Chamber where every enemy has mlvl99 like Baal?
    Won't it be weird if the last Act in Inferno will have the same difficulty as the first? If a Quill Rat will offer the same challenge as a Oblivion Knight?

It's nice to know every enemy is a potential loot donator, yet once people find out which enemy is easiest to get to and kill it'll become hard to entice them to run other targets.
    Making the entire difficulty a completely leveled playing field could even backfire if people can potentially just get all loot out of running only one area over and over again, instead of having to run various targets to collect various loot.

I think it's a matter of "when" instead of "if" regarding player behaviour.
    I think the entire "solution" is a double edged sword. Like i explained above, on one hand people will feel they can run every target to potentially get any item they desire, on the other hand there's the risk people will feel they won't have to run every target to get every item (disregarding the AH). So what it will really come down to is if the game itself will offer varied and different fun areas. However if every area is basically every other area with a different skin then this solution won't fix anything.

And this is different from any other difficulty level, how?

I hope this isn't exclusive to only Inferno difficulty. I also hope items being visually distinct also includes their inventory image. I don't want a Light/Mage/Archon/... Plate having the same inventory image if they look different on my toon.

Ignoring all the fluff, what looks to set this difficulty apart from the rest is that it's entirely aimed at level 60 characters and everything can drop everywhere. So, apart from how the difficulty will be balanced differently, Jay doesn't seem to promise anything new at all. I was hoping for actual new content, for example random quest trees exclusive to Inferno difficulty. Not more "item" rewards, but for example "lore" rewards. At the moment "just another difficulty" isn't getting me warm.

13. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

What is it with people on this forum and NOT READING!? It's right there in black and white:

And people wonder why Blizzard is dumbing down Diablo 3...

14. jamesL

jamesL Diabloii.Net Member

I guess I'm still not seeing a lot of difference between jumping around to my favorite places in Inferno and doing
    The Mausoleum, The Crypt, The Countess, The Pit, Andariel, Ancient Tunnels, Lower Kurast, Travincal, Mephisto, Diablo, Pindlskin, Baal over and over in D2

those places provided varied content and opportunities, different monsters and different terrain

the good thing about Inferno seems to be that all Acts are open from the start, but all Acts in Hell are open once you finish it so that isn't really a difference

I'll be able to choose my favorite area in Inferno; areas and monsters that best suit my build, but I think there were enough areas in D2 to give me variety and do the same

someone said that it will be better to play through all of an Inferno game than to constantly start new games and do Baal over, like we did in D2, because you won't waste time making games, but instead will be killing stuff and getting items

I guess I can see that but with the limited information I have, I still can't see myself doing all the Acts or even most of the areas in Inferno

would you play all of Hell again and do The Great Marsh and Flayer Jungle if they could drop the same stuff as The Pit and Baal ?
    or would you skip them and go to the pit, ancient tunnels and Baal?

I think there will be some places that are just too boring or too time consuming to play through

I think everyone will end up picking out a few favorite areas and continually starting new Inferno games and doing those areas over and over (just like in D2)

but I guess that's a plus about having all monsters capable of dropping all items; having the entire game be a "level 85 treasure chest" is a good thing

maybe there are some people who actually like The Flayer Jungle and Great Marsh and would have run them if they dropped good loot

so this does indeed open up more possibilities

and that's always a good thing

15. Steven Catogen

Steven Catogen Diabloii.Net Member

Highest level normal enemy was 85. The stuff people actually killed to hit 99 had levels in the 90s.

16. HardRock

Their aim is to cater to people looking for a challenge and the best loot possible. In this sense yes, Inferno is exclusively for these players.

I guess in other difficulty levels some of those things won't change. I'm thinking primarily about monster behaviour and modifiers.

"They'll also have access to a larger suite of powers in Inferno, making minions and boss monsters even tougher."

From this it seems that enemies will have unique modifiers in Inferno.

Also consider, that you can't ever overlevel monsters, which will mean that any rating based player stat will become weaker compared to other difficulties. This could change stat prioritization in Inferno for a lot of players.

It won't be weird, because it will be a difficulty dedicated entirely for the endgame, so they can throw out this kind of progression without affecting the majority of players.

They could very well add anything they want later with patches. A perfect endgame won't be required for a while after release anyway.

17. svidikus

svidikus Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not a big fan of Inferno. People are still going to end up running the most efficient boss/area in this difficulty. It's kinda like the 85 areas in d2, it opened up more areas to run, but who ran the mausoleum or the maggot lair? Not very many people because monster density wasn't high enough. Most people went with WSk/Pits/AT cause those were the most efficient areas.

18. Sentarius

Sentarius Diabloii.Net Member

I like this last idea a lot.

The entire point of Inferno is to flatten the difficulty curve through the different acts. Did you not read that?

Obviously, balancing as many areas as possible will be a delicate process.

19. Raesene

Raesene Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure what the argument is here.

Having unbalanced areas is bad? I agree.

Inferno will attempt to have balanced areas. You say they might not succeed in balancing them (certainly possible), therefore, the idea is bad and they ... shouldn't try at all?

Whether their implementation of an end game difficulty works how we want remains to be seen, but I fully agree with the intention and philosophy behind it.

20. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

I loved the Flayer Jungle. :)