Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Infernal Pit SpecialChest runs: high probability of Zod and other HRs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by vmiguli, Apr 10, 2018.

1. vmiguli

vmiguli Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

First, I apologize if my reply has hurted anybody's feelings in any way. By "stereotypical belief" I called an attitude like, "it is just not possible" as a response to my logical search for an answer. People have their rights to have any opinion they want to have, however, an apparent reluctance of considering important (from my point of view) new findings, shown in several responses, I consider as "stereotypical". No offense meant. And by considering I don't mean "agreeing", I mean using logic and evidence to prove me wrong. And I hugely appreciate your help, Grisu, in finding the truth! Thank you for your messages in this thread - it is an invaluable assistance in the search!
    As for the Shuffleblast's second statement, I did not ignore it. I just don't feel it is right to state for the third time in this thread that I totally agree that 2000 runs is not enough, but that is all I have right now. I can not jump in with another 10000 runs (which will not also be enough) because I don't have them. Or, I could have kept silence about the IP SC in the first place, but I chose not to. It was my decision because I consider these findings of huge importance, if it is confirmed.
    Second, I do not care if people agree with me or not as long as the truth is established. I might be wrong, I might be right. If my theory is correct - then it will be a "revolution" in HR hunting. If not - I am just another victim of the RNG. Frankly, I don't care that much about the final verdict, as long as we go along the path of finding the answer. That is the biggest kick ever! I am a researcher by nature and by my profession and I approach every task I encounter from this perspective. After all, I got back to D2 (profoundly) last year with the only challenge of beating RNG in LK, but that is another story. So, I hope that those who share my attitude to this issue will cooperate in finding the true answer for the observed "IP SC phenomenon".

I would suggest at this point that the mathematical hardcoded algorithm that defines yes/no answer for EACH TC (including runic TC) for any game object that could drop (chest, monster, etc.) includes several parameters. One parameter belongs to an object that drops it (hardcoded), another is general for the object that is being dropped (in the files), and there might be others. For Blizzard this is a simple equation, like A=b*c. You take b from the files, you take с as a hardcoded parameter that goes affined to each potential dropper. I don't see any trouble for Blizzard at all.
    As for "why" - the answer is, to have more freedom in varying "identical" objects, for example. Like sparkly chests of the same area, or bosses of the same level. Why not, when it's so easy and handy?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. vmiguli

BTW, I started doing joint runs to PoA and IP SpecialChests on my new map. After 90 runs (each) I got a Mal from the IP SC and a Lo from the PoA SC.

MalIPSpecialChest-p7.jpg

LoPoASpecialChest-p7.jpg

However, prior to these dual runs I've done 200 IP SC runs with no HRs (Ko, Fal and Lem as top finds). So, to be fair, so far 290 new IP SC runs gave a Mal, and 90 PoA runs produced a Lo. Initially, I did not plan on running D2 after my post but the discussion has seized me completely, so I proceeded.
    No conclusions at this point, just another small piece of evidence.

3. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

You sure about that? What I mean is there's a chance for all items in the chest to be the same quality. Whenever this happens, usually only 2-4 items drop. But they will all be sets, uniques, or rares. I'm not talking about the chance an item can be unique per option 1, but option 2 where all items are. The chance seems much lower than 2%. I've done thousands of runs and only get it every 500 or so (0.20%).

4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Like I said before, this subject definitely has my interest. As you say, in the end your theory might be right, but it might also be wrong. I find it interesting enough to test, and if your theory proves to be wrong, you are certainly beating rng big time at this moment.

The next 3 weeks will be incredibly busy for me, with the second round of RFL getting all the limited playing time there is. After that I'll have to squeeze in some act 5 chest runs though.

5. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

I too will help out! Though since I don't really run areas so much as meander...I'll let you know my results when I break 50 runs next year :p

6. Shuffleblast

Shuffleblast Diabloii.Net Member

I've seen the golden chests in Glacial Trail and Infernal Pit listed in the same sparkly chest list, but I'm pretty sure they're not the same. On /p7, the one in Infernal pit seems to always fill up your screen, while the one in Glacial Trail tends drop much less. For example like this on /p7:

Screenshot124.jpg

Actually, it might have been just the usual D2 wack rng, but it seems to happen consistently for me. ^^

7. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

I'm also interested and even did some runs with a hammerdin.

Rolled a map with all 3 portals just 3-5 teleports from each wp, did about a dozen runs so far but no results yet. On the other hand, the chests seem to drop a lot of uniques and charms (verdungo, amazon winged helm, sorc fire sk....). In addition, those maps are full of boss packs (inside and near the portals) and it's quite hard to ignore them and run only the chests.

8. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Too many things to do in both RL and D2 and not enough time right now, but a success story like that is definitely interesting. I hope others will run and share their experiences. At some point I'll likely do some 1-2k of these runs myself and see what they yield.

Generally though, I agree with the notion that those numbers are far from being a reliable basis for any ground-breaking conclusions. It's absolutely within typical D2 RNG crazyness. So yeah, I doubt it's more efficient than LK/Trav/Cows, even judging by OP's numbers 7 Ist+ runes after 2k runs doesn't quite make my jaw drop tbh. But of course the Cham/Zod possibility makes it interesting in certain scenarios.

In any event, it would indeed be cool if something new came up and good drop chances are confirmed by others going forward. Thanks for sharing!

9. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

I might put some time into this as part of Round 3 of the RFL. Maybe dust off the old 200FCR Howling RoF superchest running barb I made...

10. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

they should be effected by MF, so this might actually be a better strategy for MF runs than for runes since a sorc can just avoid everything with max MF for the most part and TK the chest

11. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I recall reading a guide on sparking chests stating that mf doesn't affect drops.

Edit: this is the guide.

12. vmiguli

I am so glad some of you have decided to contribute to this research! I personally highly appreciate that because it will not only give some extra data to speculate over the Act 5 mini-level sparkling chests, but might bring some light to understanding of the whole conception of Blizzard's programming algorithm. In far, far future, of course, but together we might draw some important conclusions!
    Now, this High-Runic shower (as I called it) that I have been experiencing is a funny thing. It is hard to explain, but that was exactly what I tried to encounter in LK: beating RNG by a certain character behavior (like with armor stands). I failed then, but I get this feeling here, in IP. So, I hope you guys will help me finding out: is it that my theory is correct (higher HR dropping chances in IP), or, if not that, I have to start another research of this weird RNG behavior with my character in this particular place.
    Yesterday night it was Mal (IP) & Lo (PoA), now it is a Ber (Total run 323 to the IP SC):

BerIPSpecialChest-p7.jpg

And forget about the "long" approach I proposed with other regular containers - it is a waste of time! Only the "short" way, straightforwardly!

Good luck to everybody!

T72on1 likes this.
  13. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

i still dont understand how/why you do this with a Sin :confused:

14. vmiguli

In fact, this is the only character I have.
    I had a druid build like 7 years ago but got bored in Act 3 (Hell) and abandoned it. Have not played since until about 2 years ago. Have not read anything about D2 either (sorry). I am not a gamer, I don't play games in normal understanding. I was just doing some D2 for fun and relax every 5 years or so since it came to the market. I even did not know about NM and Hell with my first barb in 2000, and just stopped playing after the Baal kill (on Normal).

So, only with the assassin I started reading this forum a lot about a year and half ago and discovered so many things this game can actually offer. That is one brilliant piece of work in its balance and mysteries! So I got involved in learning about this game and finally decided to do some research on how to beat RNG (because I believe in human mind). That is how I got to LK last year (and found my first rune ever above Um [EDIT: forgot about the countess' Mal & Ist - that happened before LK]), and then with time I got every rune dropped except for Zod. I started another research in order to fix this and put aside this game already - that is how I got to IP. And D2 again does not let me go. Huge field for research.
    That is my story. Sorry, it took so many words for a simple question, but I had to explain the lack of my gaming background not to appear stupid with the only character in this forum.

Zyr and T72on1 like this.
  15. Grisu

Grisu Diabloii.Net Member

@vmiguli: Thanks for your nice and honest answer :) I'm no native speaker, so maybe I got some of the finer nuances wrong....sorry about that!

Like I said, it would be quite the thing if it were true and I intend to do at least some dozen runs in between my tournament characters (my spreadsheet says, it's 1752 hours of playtime left to finish all tournament characters...:rolleyes:)

Anyways, thanks for your input and thoughts on this and especially for your enthusiasm - I mean, after all it's fun we are all after and this might just be the thing to add more fun :)

btw @all, is it still customary to do introduction threads? Haven't seen one since I got back here...
    EDIT: Cool, "all" is really a member (with 0 posts...) :D

Zyr, PhineasB, mir and 1 other person like this.
  16. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

soo the superchest in pits and tunnels (and any other area?) is not allowed for the RFL, but this one is? :/

Well this is not the place for discussing RFL, but I have felt that A5 needs more love from me so I was thinking about making some kind of A5 marathon after the RFL: Pindle, Eldritch, Shenk, Nilathak, WSK (all levels), Thresh socket, Icy Cellar, Baal waves, Baal, and now it seems that I should include these chests aswell :)

T72on1 likes this.
  17. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

@Grisu I mentioned introduction threads several times in the rules & links, seems like several newcomers lately want advice but don’t want to say hello :/

T72on1 likes this.
  18. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

That's a good point, I didn't even check. Luckily it's far off so we'll have plenty of time to clear up the rules on that. ;) Either way, I'll join in this fun either then or when the RFL is over, I'm a sucker for trying new poppables so I won't be able to stay away from this forever.

Zyr, PhineasB and T72on1 like this.
  19. Trud09

Trud09 Diabloii.Net Member

Figured I would chime in. I will try a couple hundred runs and see the results and post back. I know that is not a statistically significant amount, but I will still give it a shot.

I have probably run about 70ish so far. So far only a Ko as the highest. There was a set ammy that I was hoping was Tals, but it wasn't. Oh well.

Anyone else have S&E lag here? I have less than 2 seconds for LK runs but here it is 5 seconds+ Sometimes 7 or 8 seconds. I tried portals back to town and they still don't help. Maybe I will portal and go to A4 and see if that helps.

20. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Act 5 chests tend to be laggy for me on S&E. Just in general, compared to other chests. At least Frigid is from memory but I believe some others were as well