Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Indigo Children, Truth or Myth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ~C|-|erish~, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ~C|-|erish~

~C|-|erish~ IncGamers Member

Indigo Children, Truth or Myth?

These children are diagnosed with Attention Deficit and/or Hyperactive "Disorder" or the common term "ADD." Do you believe they are the turning point of the human species. Do you believe it is a "neuro-physcological" disorder or the birth of people that will take us to the next level of evolution?

They are "hyper thinkers" or "quick smart" and do not fit in with the norm. Their caregivers do not know what to make of them, or how to interact with them. They are more sensitive, and more in tune with their feminine side.

In order to fit in with this "norm" they are given medications which have the same chemical make-up as cocaine, which turn them into zombies.

"The Indigo Child is a boy or girl who displays a new and unusual set of psychological attributes, revealing a pattern of behavior generally undocumented before. This pattern has singularly unique factors that call for parents and teachers to change their treatment and upbringing of these kids to assist them in achieving balance and harmony in their lives, and to help them avoid frustration."
    -- Lee Carroll & Jan Tober

"My Indigo Child can get the highest score on a test by just sitting and listening to a lecture...no notes required."

Fact or fiction?

2. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

Why would they take us to the next level of evolution? The human race basically doesn't evolve anymore, thanks to modern medicine. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

In order for evolution to take place, there must be natural selection. In order for there to be natural selection, some must live to spread their genes while others must die. In today's society, basically everyone except for those with severe handicaps has a chance to spread their genes. Ergo, there is no natural selection and thus no evolution to speak of takes place.

Oh, and you didn't provide a link thus you fail it.

F-.

Yeah, that's me. I don't swallow this New Age crap, though. Auras? Extreme longevity? Pffft.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I guess I have ADD. . .

I don't think ADD is the next step in evolution. I have met some pretty damn stupid kids with ADD and some pretty smart ones. Yes they may think about more subjects a day than I do, but they are usually just random unconnected stuff.

Besides, how will they communicate ideas when they are all collectively not listening.

Come up with one good reason for ADD to be only just now showing up in great numbers. Sure it could be some latent thing hidden away in DNA, but why would it come up now? Ten or fifteen years ago we weren't that different in terms of social structure or health. Diet? Hardly a good basis for this type of evolution. If it isn't genetic then it would show up later as we intercept new information(and thinking the way your quote is, I would assume this would only happen if lots of info is received). So why doesn't every geek on the planet like me have ADD? I get a lot of news and a lot of information everyday from my laptop. Also why doesn't it go away on its own, if I can get it from getting lots of info at a time then when that information flow slows down shouldn't the ADD also? Your body only works as hard as it has too.

4. ~C|-|erish~

I don't have to provide a link. There are many resources out there that can give you the information you need for "Indigo Children." By providing a link, I'm subjecting you to my "preferential" site. Google it and garner your own knowledge.

Don't be so quick to judge. Open your mind.

5. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

Adding to what Kawaii said, a variation of a species will only be incorporated into the species if it gives some advantage to the members who have the variation. That is a very simplified explanation of "natural selection".

Unless some trait associated with this new "ADD" makes the person "better" than a normal person, the chances of that trait becoming the norm is slim to none. So unless people with ADD are more attractive or, at least, more fecund, I doubt that we will see their numbers increase to become the standard for humanity.

6. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

There, I fixed it for you.
    edit:
    :lol:

7. ASL

ASL IncGamers Member

Indigo Children = load of crap at best, scam at worst. If you take a look at most of the sites that provide information on this "new development" of the human species, you'll also find them selling a long list of products and reading material. All they're doing is trying to play off the hopes and dreams of parents of children with severe ADD. Imagine how wonderful it would be to learn that in fact, your kid is not afflicted with a learning disorder. He's not disobedient or slow to learn because he has ADD, no, no, it's because he's too smart for us. No, in fact he's superhuman, he's betetr than all those other kids. He's special. Now buy this book and we'll tell you how to bring out his psychic potential. Hey, buy these mind enhancing pills that only work on Indigo kids while you're at it. Oh, and these here Indigo kid puzzles are great, they let them flex their mind.

ETA: Just look at this list of "signs." Think back to when you were 8, I'm betting that just about all of these appleid to just about all of us. Does that mean we're all indogos? These questions are either extremely vague or extremely self-congratulatory: Oh yes, I was very intelligent as a child. Oh yes, I loved to learn. Oh, yes, I've always been a free-thinker!

Did your child come into the world acting like royalty?

Does your child have a feeling of deserving to be here?

Does your child have an obvious sense of self?

Does your child have difficulty with discipline and authority?

Does your child refuse to do certain things they are told to do?

Is waiting in lines torture for your child?

Is your child frustrated by ritual-oriented systems that require little creativity?

Does your child see better ways of doing thing at home and at school?

Is your child a nonconformist?

Does your child refuse to respond to guilt trips?

Does your child get bored rather easily with assigned tasks?

Does your child display symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder?

Is your child particularly creative?

Does your child display intuition?

Does your child have strong empathy for others?

Did your child develop abstract thinking very early?

Is your child very intelligent?

Is your child very talented (may be identified as gifted)?

Does your child seem be a daydreamer?

Does your child have very old, deep, wise looking eyes?

Does your child have spiritual intelligence?

From: http://www.metagifted.org/topics/metagifted/indigo/isYourChildAnIndigo.html

8. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

*Telekneticly strangles ~C|-|erish~ with his superior mind complex*

*wanders out of thread*

9. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Did your child come into the world acting like royalty?
    Nope. He came out crying and covered in blood.

Does your child have a feeling of deserving to be here?
    How the hell should I know?

Does your child have an obvious sense of self?
    Yes. He knows his name is (like hell I'm telling you)

Does your child have difficulty with discipline and authority?
    No worse than any other 3 year old

Does your child refuse to do certain things they are told to do?
    See above answer

Is waiting in lines torture for your child?
    Nope. He thinks it's great fun to talk to everybody

Is your child frustrated by ritual-oriented systems that require little creativity?
    Nope.

Does your child see better ways of doing thing at home and at school?
    School? HE'S ONLY 3 YOU OVERACHIEVING FREAK!!!

Is your child a nonconformist?
    Nope. He conformes exactly to the norms of a 3 year old with more energy than 10 of me.

Does your child refuse to respond to guilt trips?
    What kind of sick bastard lays a guilt trip on a 3 year old? Go to hell

Does your child get bored rather easily with assigned tasks?
    What assigned task do you give a 3 year old child? Put your toys away? How can you get bored when working with toys???

Does your child display symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder?
    No but I do and if you don't like it Ooh! Bunnies!

Is your child particularly creative?
    Nope. He's right on track for being the son of highly creative parents.

Does your child display intuition?
    Yes, much to the cat's dismay

Does your child have strong empathy for others?
    Only for me and my wife when we're sick.

Did your child develop abstract thinking very early?
    He'd better.

Is your child very intelligent?
    And you expect a parent to be objective with this question?

Is your child very talented (may be identified as gifted)?
    See above answer

Does your child seem be a daydreamer?
    Nope. He's too busy to daydream

Does your child have very old, deep, wise looking eyes?
    No. But then neither do I and I've seen things nobody should have to

Does your child have spiritual intelligence?
    Yes. He's very well aquinted with angels and knows only all to well what they are. And who they are. They're his dead great grandparents.

10. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

False

diddlyalse

11. ~C|-|erish~

Wow. It would appear that my question has ruffled some feathers.

My first encounter with this book “Indigo Children†was at a Barns & Noble bookstore a month ago. I sat down and scanned through a few pages, but left the store without buying it. My intention was to research it when I got home. I googled, and was bombarded by pages and pages of results. Whoa! I asked myself…how come I’ve never heard of this so-called “indigo child.†I know many people who are AD/HD.

Upon my visits to these pages [Indigo], I noticed one overall tone. They were all selling one service or another. All were very upbeat and encouraging, providing another perspective on this disorder to help people who are at their wits end, looking for another treatment option, or those who just refuse to use Ritalin or other “narcotic†type medications to control their child. They believe in “cause and effect†and prefer to treat the cause. These people have been “through†the system. Schools, numerous doctor visits, etc., and looking for some hope that their child has a place in society and not separate from it.

I see nothing wrong with providing hope. Hope: priceless.

Upon visiting these sites, which are full of scientific and not so scientific information, you are bombarded with info to join, contribute, or buy a product in order to receive certain perks. The Indigo sites are no different, they can only sell what people buy.

Mainstream doctors who dole out medications to treat AD/HD, are now more and more seeing the connection between environmental toxins and food allergies and certain elevated behaviors.

Now, to negate the cynicism expressed above. These sites [AD/HD and Indigo Child] are “selling†something. Books, different kinds of medications, school planners, private schools, diet guidelines, membership. But one important thing that remain a constant, is their believe that diet and environmental toxins play a major role and the severity of the AD/HD symptoms.

Now that you’ve visited some of the “indigo child†websites, take a look at the other side, if you haven’t already.

http://adhd.kids.tripod.com/index1.html

http://www.adhdinfo.com/index.jsp?checked=y

http://www.resultsproject.net/

http://www.kentwood-add.com/pages/whoare.htm

http://www.help4adhd.org/en/about/myths

Excerpts from this site:

"…Other factors may play a causal role in the individual differences in symptoms of AD/HD, including exposure to environmental toxins…

…Although other factors (e.g., family adversity, poverty, educational/occupational status, home environment, poor nutrition, environmental toxins, ineffective childrearing practices) do not appear to have a significant contribution to the development of AD/HD symptoms…

…This is a common refrain expressed by individuals who assert that the psychiatric community, in concert with pharmaceutical companies, created AD/HD to drum up business for private practices and to increase profits for drug companies…"

There are also many individuals who “pretend†to have AD/HD so they can go on these medications, because of two of the following side effects: weight loss and being able to stay awake to study or to take tests.

AD/HD is Neurological [dealing with organic/physical disease of the brain].

And should not be confused with ADHD-Bipolar [neuro-psychological, dealing with both emotional/behavioral & organic/physical], or other psychological/psychiatric combinations. These are extremes that cannot be treated with diet alone. But, diet and environmental triggers should not be overlooked, and can be incorporated to benefit the individual in their long-term therapy. Most kids with AD/HD grow out of it or learn how to control it by the time they reach adulthood.

12. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

ADD medicine is hardly narcotic.

13. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

ADD, AD/HD, depression and all sorts of other mental disorders in children appear more common these days because they are more frequently diagnosed. I think this in itself is just an effect of our society not understanding the scope of child psychology while at the same time being extremely adverse to attaching negative labels on kids. Psychologists are telling parents what they want to hear: these kids aren't dolts or brats, they're special and bright in ways that just aren't easily recognizable. The Indigo Chilren myth is just an extreme example of this.

14. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Well, for one, I don't beleive ADD/ADHD is what people think it is. I think it is a rare condition that is blown far out of proportion if it even exists. No one has yet given me solid medical proof that there is something different with people who have ADD compared to those that don't. I do understand that some people think differently and they show symptoms that we classify as ADD. While there are some cases where something may truely be wrong, ADD is far overdiagnosed and a type of scapegoat label for kids (and adults) who think a bit differently. It reminds me of nearly any time in history before modern times when illnesses were made up and beleived to be true. I simply doubt the overall existance of ADD. As I said, some people don't think the same way as others, and that's fine, but it's far from being its own disease.

More on the topic, I have never heard of an "Indigo Child," I actually thought it was some rare skin disease when I saw the title. But from what I glean from the others' posts, it doesn't seem to be anything but a scam, and these are smart people that are posting, I will concur until someone gives me reason to beleive otherwise.

15. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

No, we do. It's just starting to happen/matter mostly up here. *taps skull*

16. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

On the topic of evoloution, I read ina magazine that alot of kids are starting to be born with less toes, because they don't need them any longer.
    I actually met a kid like that, and she explained it as evoloution, maybe she was just a freak... but aparently it's pretty common.

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

But as a whole, we do not evolve. Also, smart parents don't always make smart kids. So it wouldn't be evolution since the stupider people aren't dying off. It is more like random mutation that just happens to be good.

18. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

All right. So the guy largely responsible for the popularity of this Indigo Child argument believes he channels an angelic being named Kryon, that these children exhibit visible indigo-colored auras and are space alien hybrids, that they are born in accordance with some divine purpose, and that they have several-hundred-year-long lifespans. Now, I consider myself open-minded, but I don't see even a shred of evidence supporting any of these claims in any part and it's up to the people defending these claims to provide some.

Assuming that we are examing the belief with fewer, or no, mystical qualities I still don't see any evidence. Evolution, assuming it occurs :p does so over tens of thousands, or millions, of years - not over one generation. Even if evolution were occuring at such an obscene rate it still wouldn't explain a sudden spawning of superhumans. Gradual increases in average intelligence - quite possible. Superchildren defying every aspect of modern genetics - I vote nay.

Also, I tend to agree with Piff about the entire ADD phenomenon. "Diseases" like ADD, depression, and schizophrenia are catch-alls with completely subjective diagnoses. By current DSM-IV standards the US surgeon general estimates that in any given year about twenty percent of the population is suffering from mental illness of one sort or another. Perhaps the problem isn't in the population but in our methods for diagnosing and classifying illnesses. Where do people get off setting up rules regarding which brain chemical levels are acceptable and which are not, anyway? Or perhaps it's a huge conspiracy and we should blame the drug industry. And partisan politics.

edit: @Geeno - Actually, Ritalin is regularly abused for it's stimulant effects by people for whom it hasn't been prescribed. I believe this falls in line with the definition of narcotic quite flawlessly.

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

narcotic |när?kätik| noun:
    a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for nonmedical purposes, esp. an illegal one.
    • Medicine a drug that relieves pain and induces drowsiness, stupor, or insensibility.
    adjective relating to or denoting narcotics or their effects or use : the substance has a mild narcotic effect.

You also need to remember that not all things that make you speed up are narcotics. You also need to remember that just because something is a stimulant doesn't make it chemically similar to cocaine. Besides, Geeno knows his drugs.

20. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

So yess in other words, flawlessly, as you have no clue :)

thanks KOW.

Evolution hasnt stopped and will continue. Evolution is the progress of our species and to say it has stopped, does stop or is stopping is rather foolish. Dont confuse moving forward with a bunch of cracka ass theories from back in the day.

"@Geeno - Actually, Ritalin is regularly abused for it's stimulant effects by people for whom it hasn't been prescribed."

hah, anyone that abuses ritalin may as well just drink a lot of mountain dew as itll pretty much be the same affect. what is ritalin again like methylphenidate or something? not even amphetamine.