Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Increasing MIN damage 4 Vengance.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Ebon Knight, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Ebon Knight

Ebon Knight IncGamers Member

Increasing MIN damage 4 Vengance.

I have a lv 57 avenger who does pathetic damage in your eyes i'm sure (202-520 i beleive in the char menu). i use an up'd rusthandle scepter (now a rusthandle holy sprinkler). i plan to up this weapon again until i find something better. I really only use it because of the +2 to vengance that it has. i'm sure i could craft a blood axe with more physical damage. would that be best? i should get a minimal increase in damage but i'm really concerned with my min damage now. it makes my average damage crap! is there a way to really increase my min damage so that i can get a more consistant average damage! how is this done best for vengance. opinions please...

BTW: I also have a might merc. does the aura help my vengance at all? of course the char screen says no but i've read that it can mislead you more that anything.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Rusthandle's +2 Vengeance isn't really all that important. It's much better to get a weapon with higher physical damage. If you want higher minimum damage then get a weapon with a higher minimum damage. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about low minimum damage as long as your average damage is good. Sure sometimes it's annyoing when you get 2 low rolls in a row but it all evens out in the end. You could get some +min damage charms...

Your might mercs aura won't affect Vengeance, but it will increase your (and his) physical damage, which can be quite nice for mana/life leech.

Welcome to the forums:)

3. Ebon Knight

thanks for the welcome and for the response. i've been a long time veiwer and just now decided to register and post. now that i think about it. lowering vengance would help with mana in general but i have a crafter scepter on swap that has redemption @ lv 4. so would upping it (rusthandle) to elite patch my wound for now or should i just find a better one handed solution?

4. Chimaira

If you can afford to upgrade Rusthandle to elite status, surely you can find yourself a better weapon. Any of the exceptional scepters upgraded to elite would be much better than Rusthandle...also the elite scepters are of course all very good. Things to look for when choosing your weapon is high physical damage and good speed, that's the 2 most important mods, everything else is just gravy.

Again the +Vengeance (or any other skill for that matter) doesn't really help melee builds all that much.

5. Ebon Knight

thanks for the help. hopefully i'll be lucky enough to find an exceptional scepter (haven't been so far). i doubt if crafting would help me as even the best exceptional one handed axe won't come close to even an up'd rusthandles damage. i'll tell me friends to keep a look out for me on the exceptional unique scepter front. maybe i can even find a good rare or a magic scepter good enough to be HP crafted? but form what you're telling me any high damage one handed weapon will do as +skills increase is a non factor in the long run. cool.. thanks again.

6. Chimaira

I just want to add that you don't have to use scepters...There are plenty of good weapons out there...swords, axes, scepters, maces. Try to do some Magic find runs, preferrably Mephisto, it shouldn't take you too long before something decent/better than Rusthandle drops.

7. Ebon Knight

is there a rhyme or reason as to why some weapons ED add to vegance yet some do not? is it only BOTD that doesn't work or are there others?

8. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

few things to know about vengeance: Its based off weapon damage, go big damage weapon=big damage vengeance.

deadly strike only works with the craptacular physical part of vengeance (base normal attack damage)

ed off weapon doesn't effect vengeance. However, +min/max does. travs=best boots choice for damage alone.

vengeance is capped at 8 fpa, so try to aim for a semi faster weapon for it. phase blade is fast, but does crap damage. a good min is a base -10 weapon (war spike/scourge/cryptic/caddy are the best elite choices). oath on ladder makes an excellent choice for vengeance. It adds nice ias, big damage, and indestructible. and its cheap (and prevent monster heal..highly desirable)

ebotd zerker isn't a bad one. Its common, does big damage, has high ias, and mega stats. until you can afford any of these, shop for one handed cruels. first ladder, I played an untwinked avenger through and found a cruel caddy with +conviction in act 4 hell. Made my day, and it was pretty good. Later on, a bstar was a fun choice (but slow, of course). good luck! avengers are fun melee builds, but hard to do right.

--welt

9. Ebon Knight

thanks for the response but what good is oath's 210-314% ED if vengeance isn't enhanced by it? and i was thinking honor in a phase blade until i could afford the lum for cresent but again, what good is it if the ED% doesn't affect vengeance. this is frustrating! lol...

10. Chimaira

But it is....

Let's say you make Oath in a Berserker Axe with base damage 24-71.
    Let's take the best case scenario (314%) and then we'll get.

24*4.14 - 71*4.14 = 99-293

This "new" damage is what the % enhanced damage from Vengeance is based on...so enhanced damage on weapons do count!

11. Weltkriegpally

you should have read my post better, bud. In it, I said that ed off weapon doesn't effect vengeance, so a fort isn't a good armor for the build. However, on weapon ed DOES effect vengeance. thats why ebotd zerkers make such verdammten hard hitting vengeance weapons. 500ish max damage multiplied by the insane vengeance synergies *shudders*.

--welt

12. nespejsen

nespejsen IncGamers Member

High psysical damg is the all vengeance is calling for..

My weapon (botd ba) gives 500+- dmg, but i do 14 k vengeance.
    Remember synergies Resist light,cold and fire..

Good luck.

13. Ebon Knight

Yeah, gotcha. the off damage is what got me. so how about an honor RW in an exceptional weapon until i can get something better? the ed% is pretty good and the runes are cheap. i'm in desperate need of more damage and i'm not rich AT ALL! not to mention i have no luck with finding items. thanks guys. you've all been great to this noob (noob to the finer points of D2 that is).

14. Weltkriegpally

honor isn't bad, but other easily available weapons like hand of blessed light, oath (personal favorite..think eth crescent/ba/cryptic/conquest/etc), baranars star, nords tenderizer, demon limb...all have points that make them good. bstar and nords are particularly good for the ar bonus and extra elemental, on top of the added ias they give. since most avengers use conviction, the ias is really important, so that is why I dont' suggest honor.

--welt

15. Ebon Knight

Got a nord's from a very good trade and i must say you fellas were right! original min max before upgrade was a pathetic 290-696... :(

went to the nords and i jumped to 1700-2069!!!! i'm one hitting just about everything in act 5 NM so far. it's great! thanks again for all of your help.

16. Weltkriegpally

get a high end damaging weapon later on and you will see why even that isn't such great damage, but for its level, its pretty darned nice. seriously look into an oath sword or something that you can wield (mal is the highest rune required....available off of hellforge relatively easily). it gives mega ias and really nice ed and (my favorite) indestructible. I would say conquest, war spike, or zerker axe (scourge and cryptic work well, too). all give nice consistent damage and arent' hard on the old speed range. finding 4 socket eth versions could be a pain, though. good luck!

--welt

17. MarathonMatt

MarathonMatt IncGamers Member

I would try to get a doom personaly; the +skills and -cold resist make it a very good avenger weapon. If you pump the cold synergy for veng. your going to deal out massive cold damage just from the -resist. Also remember that if you use conviction your damage might not look too high, but your actually doing a lot more because of the resist conviction is taking off.

18. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

my hands down favorite weapon for midbies: the atlantean. +2 skills, stats, and like 150 1h damage.

19. Ebon Knight

man, it's hard to believe that there are weapons that are 'higher end' than this nord's. that 189 max damage on weapon is crazy considering what i came from (upp'd rusthandle)! i was looking at an oath eth ettin axe or cresent moon phase blade but neither of them (eth or normal) have dropped yet. i'm nm act 5 so the monster lvs are high enough, but the drops haven't come. not to mention my wealth sucks! highest rune i have is hel i believe... :(

in comparison doom doesn't seem obtainable for me until mid hell lv.