Increased Attack Speed

Ogtob

Diabloii.Net Member
Increased Attack Speed

I recently found my first elite Unique Weapon. The Widowmaker Ward Bow.

According to this weapon speed caculator I need +200 IAS to use make this as fast as possible.
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

Now I could socket it and put in an IAS rune, I have a cat's eye amulet and then I could use clothing for more IAS, but that does not get me to 200. Are there rings and/or charms with IAS? How about a mercenary aura?

Does this bow suck? Should I stash it in a mule and forget about it along with the 100 or so other uniques and set items I have found and don't use?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
I recently found my first elite Unique Weapon. The Widowmaker Ward Bow.

According to this weapon speed caculator I need +200 IAS to use make this as fast as possible.
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

Now I could socket it and put in an IAS rune, I have a cat's eye amulet and then I could use clothing for more IAS, but that does not get me to 200. Are there rings and/or charms with IAS? How about a mercenary aura?

Does this bow suck? Should I stash it in a mule and forget about it along with the 100 or so other uniques and set items I have found and don't use?
Off the top of my head, the most dupe-free IAS you're going to get on a bow-wielding character would be:

60% armor (4 ias jewels)
45% helm (3 ias jewels)
30% gloves (Sigon's when paired with the boots)
10% belt (Nosferatu's or Goldwrap)
20% ammy (Cat's Eye)
20% Widowmaker (Shael)

That's 185% ias, short of the final breakpoint. The natural conclusion, then, is that it's not worth it to push to the final BP- just hit the second-fastest BP and be done with it.

Anyway, as for whether Widowmaker is useless... far from it. It's the best bow in the game for non-Amazons and non-Sorceresses. Outside of those two classes, no other character can get any skill-based AR while wielding bows (except for Druids who swing the bow in wolf/bear form or deviant rangers who run Fanat/Conviction). The choice for everyone else (Bowbarbs, Bowmancers, Hunters, Snipers, Holy Shock/Freeze rangers) is to either boost AR with Blessed Aim, or boost damage with Might (since they have no skill-based ED%, either). With widowmaker, all cth concerns are immediately solved, which lets those characters focus on cranking their damage up with a Might Merc and with gear that would otherwise be reserved for +AR.

Also, congrats for playing dupe-free. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :smiley: