Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In this thread: all of my tournament ideas. (Quitting D2)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by wakiki, Jul 24, 2010.

1. wakiki

wakiki Diabloii.Net Member

In this thread: my tournament ideas. (Quitting D2)

I've decided to officially quit Diablo II. Yeah yeah, "You'll come back," I know. ;);)

I love tournaments. I spend lots of time -- far too much time, probably -- brainstorming them up. Since I'm quitting Diablo II, I figured I'd share my faves. If anyone wants to use these ideas, feel free. I'd also be glad to co-host these tournaments or help flesh out the rules. Contact me at camp.preston at gmail dot com.

All tournaments have the "standard rules" -- single pass, hardcore, muling okay -- unless otherwise stated.

Speedster's Tournament

Fast and furious. Players build their heroes to attack, cast, and/or move as quickly as possible. Meep meep!

Characters may spend no more than 1 point vitality per level (so that they spend more stats on aggressive things).

Powerful defensive spells, such as Fade, Holy Shield, Spirit of the Oak, and Mana Shield are banned. This is to encourage people to spend points in aggressive things.

"Slow" spells are banned. Instead of Meteor or Hydra, use Fireball or Nova. Necro Poison spells are not allowed. (Go for Bone instead.) "Careful" skills like Assassin traps are also banned.

In additions to fast heroes, enemies will be fast. All spells that slow enemies or affect A.I. -- Holy Freeze, Ice Bolt, Dim Vision, Mind Blast -- are banned. No cold damage is or monster slow is ever allowed in this tournament. Mass poison damage is banned, although a couple of sources to stop monster regen are fine.

Players are encouraged to use as much IAS, FCR, recovery, and runspeed as possible, perhaps with hard rules, perhaps not. An example of a hard rule would be "By act V normal you must have 30% faster run/walk, and 20% IAS if you are a fighter and 20& cast rate if you are a mage." Exceptions could be made for Whirlwind and Charge, which ignore attack speed.

All summons and mercs are banned, except perhaps Druid's HoW, Ravens, and Vines.

Marketplace

Players may not use items they find, but must trade them with others. Ideally, this tournament would have it's own tiny economy!

This one's ambitious, and it could be the coolest tournament ever, but there are many, many kinks to work out.

For the first act, people could play as normally. This is the Prologue. After act 2, they have to stop using self-found items.

It would not be cool to see people trading their Greaves of Luck for someone else's Greaves of Luck. The host(s) would be able to "cancel" any of these annoying trades.

Poor Man's Tournament

No Magic Find or Gold Find allowed. This one's kind of an experiment. I wonder how bad people's gear would be at the start of A1 Hell?

Gold Lovers

Only potions, keys, scrolls, and most importantly gold may be picked up. Equipment has to be bought/gambled from vendors, and no items can be sold to them. Charms with gold find (and no other mod) are allowed.

Shattered Sword

Players must use physical attacks, and players can never repair items. No indestructible/self repairing items. Mercs banned.

Exposure

No mercenary, summon, or shield.

Elementalphobia

No items with any elemental resist may be equipped. Malah's scroll may be used, but mercenaries are banned.

Randomized Assassins

Ever realized how many Assassin builds there are? You can throw together so many weird skills. In this tournament, a random number generator decides which skill you max next. Has anyone made a Blades of Ice/Dragon Flight build before?

Certain skills would be ignored, like Psychic Hammer.

You can max a skill's synergies, but can't use those synergies unless you roll them. No using prerequisites as one-point-wonders, either.

One mulligan would be granted. It would be kinda lame to get Fire Claws after you just maxed Dragon Tail, I guess.

And maybe Phoenix Strike should be banned, cause that just makes things too easy. Or perhaps only one synergy could be maxed.

Poisoncraft

Players must use physical attacks (Whirlwind, Strafe, Throw) to deal large amounts of poison damage.

Physical damage would be restricted.

Players may have a backup attack for poison immune monsters.

Venom would be banned. Weird, I know, but the idea is to stack poison sources so monsters slowly perish, not to rapidly attack.

Minimalism

A collection of weird rules that make the game very simple. I'll put all the ideas (not all of them have to be used) in the spoiler:

• No minimap
    • 1 slot belt (sash or light belt)
    • No more than 10 selectable skills. Meaning, if you left click your right-attack spell, no more than 10 square buttons would pop up. Actually, I'm not including attack or throw...whatever. This would allow you to max out one skill tree, but not get any one-point wonders. Also, if you have 10 skills, then that means you can't use any charges. As a bonus, passives like warmth don't show up there.
    • No merc/summon of any type.
    • No Atma/Gomule
    • No more than 99 of any stat (don't want that extra digit)
    • No town portals
    • Waypoints can only be used once to shop
    • No shopping except for each time you encounter a waypoint

Superunique Bounty

You may only pick up items dropped by Superuniques and their minions.

Hitman Tournament

You may only kill monsters that are unique, Champion, or Minion. Option: you may not even kill Minion class monsters.

Multiplayer Ironman Free-for-all

Another ambitious idea. See here for details.

2. Morathi

Morathi Diabloii.Net Member

Re: In this thread: all of my tournament ideas. (Quitting D2)

NOOOO WAKIKI!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

The master of tournaments is gone! :(. Aw well, i know you will be back in no time :D!

As far as the tournament ideas go. I like the Poor Mans tourney. I had a similar idea awhile ago. Seems like fun!

Like yourself, i have pretty much quit D2 as well, to be honest. Just no real motivation to play anymore. Although i guess a new tournament like the Poor Mans one, just might be enough to lure me back :smug:.

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Very sorry to read this wakiki. :(

Thank you for putting these ideas out to the general SPF so they can get used.

Wish you the very best and hope to see you back soon. *ties string to wakiki* ;)

4. xxnothing

xxnothing Diabloii.Net Member

The Marketplace tournement idea sounds like fun, if enough people got into it and a nice "mini-economy" resulted!
    Sorry to see you go... but we all know... YOU'LL BE BACK. ;)

5. scrcrw

scrcrw Diabloii.Net Member

Very sorry to see you go (for now ;)). Some of these tournament ideas sound promising indeed.

6. ancalagon the black

ancalagon the black Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to see you go.

Most of those tourney ideas sound great, especially the random assassin and the speedsters.

7. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Wak! <3! Sad to see you leave, but you've done a lot of good here and it's great to see you contributing even with your goodbye post. Hope to see you down the road!

8. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

It's a shame to see you go. Best of luck with real life!

9. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. So, until we see you next time: farewell!

10. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Diabloii.Net Member

I really like the idea of your Speedster's tournament.

Sorry to see you go wakiki.

11. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Re: In this thread: my tournament ideas. (Quitting D2)

I remember playing tournies with you before I disappeared. Sorry to see you go right after I got back.

So when are we running this? :wink:

12. wakiki

wakiki Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks, guys. One important thing I should have noted is that I'm not planning on leaving the forum, but I'm not playing D2 any more and I'm not going to post as much. Actually, I'm already not posting much...

Morathi, the Poor Man's Tournament is sort of an "anti-jiansonz" experiment. The Exposure Tournament is also an anti-jiansonz expirement. In his tournament sept thread, he noted that all of his Guardians had a merc and shield and a big fat summon when available.

13. Grisu

Grisu Diabloii.Net Member

Very sad to see you leave D2-land for good!

I hope to see you at least co-host some of these tournaments - Minimalism seems like a really tough challenge...I can already see myself calculating items' sell price per square to maximise those town trips... :rolleyes: A sorceress should be suited best for that kind of tourney...