Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In sports, how does "player to be named later" work? der

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

In sports, how does "player to be named later" work?

Why doesnt the team giving the "player(s) to be named later", just hand over a couple guys they just cut from their single A team or something? Is there a lot of detail which is either not really talked about, or purpously kept secret, as to which players may end up being sent over? I've never understood this.

-Matt

2. toader

toader Banned

They set up lists of like 5-10 people. The people on this list are never star-caliber players.

Its done because a team may want to wait a bit and see what it needs in the future.

3. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

It means, literally, that the team receiving the player is going to name him or her later. Traded players become sole property of the team they are traded to, which means that the new team gets to determine the new player's number, position, and even name.

:thumbsup:

4. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

It may be that they are looking at future prospects, or are awaiting reports on the players?

5. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

"A Player to be Named Later" or "Future Considerations" are both ways of saying that both teams want the trade to be done now, but there's some piece missing, so they'll just keep tabs on it and deal with it later. It could be that there are no prospects that catch someone's eye, or the team on the receiving end of said considerations is planning some other trades and may need someone to fill the gap, or some other nonsense.

Basically it's a toss-in of some sort, that they don't need yet, and will get around to later.

6. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

I will let you all in on a little secret--I am the player to be named later. Whenever you see that phrase, it means me. I don't like publicity.

7. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

That explains a lot ;)

Thanks for the help guys, think I got it now ;)