Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In search of ideas on a guitar.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zabo, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Zabo

Zabo IncGamers Member

In search of ideas on a guitar.

For some reason over the past few months I've grown the urge to start playing the guitar. I've had NO prior experience with one so I'm not sure if buying an electric would be worth the money. Assuming I get an acoustic, any recomendations on brands or if I should even bother?

2. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Just get a cheap accoustic and learn on that. Then if you like it move on up to something better.

3. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I also think its better to learn on an acoustic since it really beats up on your fingers if you've never played. Basically I think it trains up your fingers better. If/when you decide to play an electric, it'll mostly be a walk in the park.

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

If you're not sure if you like it, borrow or buy a cheap acoustic...if you do, go grab a nice electric. But be sure you really want to play, not just something for a few weeks or months and let go. When buying a guitar...there are many many factors to look at. There's just way too many to list here, if you want some really specific help though, PM and we can sort it out.

5. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Hi Zabo,

Go to a music store, look for something cheap that "fits", i.e. feels comfortable when you hold it. Maybe even look at secondhand gutairs that were sold off by people who had the same urge as you and gave up......

I wouldn't invest a lot of money in an electric or a good acoustic until you have passed the basic "commitment" test....you've played your cheap instrument enough and developed enough skills to be limited by the quality of the instument and not by your crappy skills. This will probably take six months to a year.

Don't even consider a cheap electric....the quality of a cheap electric is SO much worse than the quality of a cheap acoustic. Also, with an acoustic you have to learn how to play gutair, not how to make cool noises.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

ScanMan,

He's just starting, no way is he gonna know what to look for etc...someone has to guide him.

7. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

If you're a beginner, there's no way you don't need the most expensive and famous brand guitar you can get!!
    [/extreme sarcasm]

As has been said, I'd recommend getting a nice comfortable acoustic guitar to start off with. That's if you want to actually learn to play the guitar.
    If you've been listening to trendy music and figure you want to be cool like them (not suggesting anything here), first I'd say don't bother, second I'd say get a cheap 6-string electric and amp.

I haven't played guitar for a while so I can't remember off hand what would be a good beginners brand, I can tell you you DON'T need a Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, or anything that you see in music videos. Shop around the price range of USD$200 for something new. I generally stay away from pre-owned guitars but that's just my flavor.

Then again, if you have the money and the insanity, get one of these :lol:

8. Zabo

Zabo IncGamers Member

Yea, I really doubted that it would be too smart to get an electric :D Only stores around here are like..yamaha. I guess I should start lookin online. Thanks for the help everyone.

@Silvermyst..er lol interesting.

9. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Get a squier if you're poor.